How to remove the blue from thumbstuds?

I have blue studs on a Devin Thomas damascus Sebenza, would Flitz possibly ruin the etching on the blade?

I have blue studs on a Devin Thomas damascus Sebenza, would Flitz possibly ruin the etching on the blade?
I have done it on regular blades but not my Damascus to avoid damaging them. I have sent all of my Damascus in for a thumb stud swap.
On the regular blades I did I cut a hole in a sticker just the size of the stud and wrapped the blade to avoid polishing the blade at all. I felt that even doing that to the Damascus could damage the etch when you work near the base.

You can use mothers or flitz ... I wouldn't use a dremel for the thumb studs or you will polish the blade around the thumb stud ...

but a micro fiber cloth and 5 or 10 minutes of elbow grease should do it ... and as someone mentioned a toothbrush will get into the areas your cloth may not ... but be careful using the brush so you don't polish the blade ...

I will add when I did it I disasembled the knife for better access to the thumb stud ... and I used a gun cleaning nylon brush with one end a very thin row of bristles to better control where I wanted it to polish ... if you disasemble the knife ... painters tape works great to wrap the blade to avoid cuts and also to protect it from the polishing.

You can send it back to CRK to replace the stud to plain / silver. Cost you about $50. I believe $17-$18 of the $50 is for return shipping / Insurance. Option for you if your concern about ruining the finish on the blade.

Thanks for the replies. It’s a PJ Damascus so the plan is to get the worm-in favorite pair of jeans look, even for the blue studs :) But nice to know the options, thanks!

Oxi-Clean mixed with boiling water will anodize Titanium grey. I would remove the blade first. Its worked on every piece of Ti Ive ever tried it on. Normally I don't like the look of colored anodization but for some reason I like it on my CRK folders.

20 minutes ago I received my brand new small inkosi insingo. Not a big fan of the blue myself so my first order of business was to break the knife down, remove the lanyard, clean and relube. Then hit the thumb studs with the dremel and some Flitz metal polish. Here's a pic of the bit I use and just a small drop of the Flitz. Easy peasy!
20181210_152257.jpg

Back