HTM Madd Maxx 5.5 Problems and Customer Complaint

Isn't there anything that can be done with regard to HTM's Quality Control? It seems that they continue to make promises that problems will be fixed but they never follow through. How are they still in business when they sell knives that are so overpriced in regard to quality? I recently got my Madd Maxx 5.5 back from HTM, FINALLY, and it came with all the same problems the first one had! They even sent me an AO version when I ordered a manual. This is incredibly frustrating. I'm not going to send it back again, I think I'll use it as a side project. Swap out the pivot to an AKS .1875 pivot, counterbore the handles and replace the miniscule washers with bearings, and convert it to tip-up carry. However, if that was what I WANTED to do, I wouldn't have spent almost $500 on the knife in the first place! I will NOT be buying from HTM anytime soon unless they truly fix their QC issues.

+1. Saw a couple for sale that I thought about, but there are too many great knives in that price range ( and lower) to risk this level of frustration.

That forum knife was a joke. After reading that thread and the refusal to refund for it, all I can say is they plainly don't care about staying in business.

I just ordered a MM 5.5 from John Moesta at dullknifeterminator. I hope I don't have all these problems, but at least I know where to go. Wow,I really like the looks and videos of this knife. I do have a Blackie Collins from Derrick at KSF that impressed me so much I pulled the trigger he doesn't have them so I tried John. I'm new here and just started acquirering recently.

Refusal to refund is even illegal, so you see the mindset of the company. We delivered a POS and too damn bad!

I think it says something when the only active thread on a manufacturers forum is one about problems with customer service. It says even more when no one from the company is even responding with an explanation.

It certainly is a little telling that nobody from HTM has chimed in yet. I haven't had any issues yet, but I've been holding off on future purchases because I don't really like the way business seems to be getting handled here. The makers and companies I respect most are the ones with the best attention to customer satisfaction.

Really is a shame because DDR's designs are my favorite.

Mission statement.....

OUR MISSION IS SIMPLE - To Build Affordable, High Tech, High Quality, Hand Crafted Products!

Mission failed.

I've directed Darrel to the thread in GBU and have also sent you an email (through the forum) with his personal contact info. I've also posted a longer response here.

my HTM DDR madd maxx 5.5 DLC blade natural TI arrived today. I'm very pleased with it, deploys like a dream(as does my "Blackie Collins"). No side or vertical movement. Ran it down a rod a few times to erase any thoughts of burrs, and it cuts paper fine, if I do it right ( darn these things still ask a little skill on my part, when will they come up with a that does it all by itself). I love that this knife blade is marked CPM S30-V and not S30-V.No date but HTM must have solved those problems when this one was made. Now I am waiting on two Microtechs, and have ordered a Brous Mini Division Flipper in Satin. I like my collection and it keeps growing. JOY

Glad to hear yours is top quality. I haven't gotten a bad HTM blade yet. I own 5 so far, and haven't had to send any of them back. Even my forum knife was fine, outside of the flawed blade marking, and I carry it every day.

I guess I've been wrong in my steels.
i thought CPM s30v was powder steel and that s30v was the same formula but not powder. It seems actually they are one and the same. I'm not too concerned as both seem good. I have kitchen knives with S2, R2(Japanese for S2 I've been told), and VG10, and USA made 154, s30v, and s35vn. All seem good steels to me the only difference I find is the Japanese are thinner so cut more effortlessly, The Americans cut great but more power with finesse, and the German wusthofs also cut well but are my go to for thick skinned or denser foods. I've just started with Folders, EDC and self defense knives but my collection is now at 14 Starting with Emerson(2), a Seki cut, 1 spyderco, 1 tssi tacops(13c26), 2 benchmade, 2 ZT, and 2 HTM. There are 2 Microtechs due to arrive tomorrow and a Brous (my first D2) is due the next day.

I have read this thread through and find the need to share my personal experiences with DDR knives. I started collecting( and using them) for over five years now. I own a Mad Maxx 5.5 ,3 gunhammers ,( 2)7" Gibbs with harpoon blades with handles in titanium and mokuti. An Expendables knife with mokuti handles and chad nichols stainless damascus with a stellite core. On the HTM front I own 3 maxx's and gunhammers. I also own 4 DDR balisongs to boot. I mention my collection because there is a world of knives and knife collectors out there. Many choices to be sure. My personal experience is a positive one with Darrel and his company. It needs to be said in the midst of the members here that have had their own personal dealings brought to a negative light. I am here to say my personal experiences are on the very postive side; custom or htm. I love the designs, the material, the way they feel in my hands and my pocket. I respect the opinions mentioned here, and heres mine:I shall continue to do busuness with this company.

I guess I've been wrong in my steels.
i thought CPM s30v was powder steel and that s30v was the same formula but not powder. It seems actually they are one and the same. I'm not too concerned as both seem good. I have kitchen knives with S2, R2(Japanese for S2 I've been told), and VG10, and USA made 154, s30v, and s35vn. All seem good steels to me the only difference I find is the Japanese are thinner so cut more effortlessly, The Americans cut great but more power with finesse, and the German wusthofs also cut well but are my go to for thick skinned or denser foods. I've just started with Folders, EDC and self defense knives but my collection is now at 14 Starting with Emerson(2), a Seki cut, 1 spyderco, 1 tssi tacops(13c26), 2 benchmade, 2 ZT, and 2 HTM. There are 2 Microtechs due to arrive tomorrow and a Brous (my first D2) is due the next day.
The confusion actually began when Crucible decided to make a powder version of 154CM. At first they called it CPM154CM, but they soon realized that a lot of confusion would arise if they did that. So they separated the steels into the non-powder variety (154CM) and the powder version (CPM-154). Needless to say, their efforts at eliminating confusion using that nomenclature went for naught. To this day, you'll see knives made out of a fictitious steel called CPM154CM. Fortunately, that only affects 154CM, not S30V. All versions of S30V are the same and they're all powder steel. So whether you get a knife made out of S30V or CPMS30V, it's the same alloy.

Last edited:
Thought I'd chime in here.Bought a HTM 5.5 also, but a few years ago,I think it was just when they were released.It was the most expensive knife purchase to date then,second to my Umnumzaan.What was really disappointing were the problems like a non-existent edge and a curved blade.With the blade closed in the handle it would be centered but opened it was apparent it was curved.WEIRD

Back