Hunt for yet another folder ($300 USD budget) UPDATED

EDIT: Hi folks, after a little research and "careful thinking" I decided to readjust my criteria:

• Good to excellent corrosion resistant steel
• Non-assisted
• Any type of handles except Micarta or stainless steel
• Frame lock with a lock bar stabilizer, a lock bar insert or both
• Washer pivot (no ball or thrust bearings)
• Also open to good liner locks and lockbacks as well
• Up to $300 USD
• Preferably made in North America or Europe

Two examples of knives which I've already found that meet these requirements include the Zero Tolerance 0620 and 0630.

I'd love a flipper but I've been unable to find one that isn't assisted or doesn't have a ball or thrust bearing pivot (perhaps this is a necessary feature in flippers).

If any of you have recommendations that meet these most or all of these requirements it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
ZT0562CF or the ZT630 would be my choice

sent from a highly secretive CIA base somewhere in the deep jungles of South America shhh

Hmm...

That lock bar insert is the kicker. You can pick up a Bailey model 2 flipper for around $300. Custom knife that's a titanium frame lock. Phosphor bronze washers. Once broken in and proper technique is learned, it is an excellent flipper.

No lockbar insert, but I've never needed one. I have the geek edition, which has circuit board scales over the titanium. CPM-154, which is highly corrosion resistant and takes one hell of an edge.

d5d51b977e99957876717ad752ca3ac8.jpg

Sent via carrier pigeon

If you can find a CKF Milk I think that ticks all your boxes down to the ceramic bearings. If I recall properly. You will have to hunt on the secondary market now though.

Kizer Ursa Minor checks all the boxes

20161014_103213-01_zpsvvprwwih.jpeg

Spydiechef has everything in spades but the lockbar requirement
20161027_112638-01_zpsvpxi5cvk.jpeg

Last edited:
Custom Knife Factory just released another batch of S.S.E. model knives in the last couple of days. 3.7" M390 blade, titanium frame lock with steel insert (and I think the overtravel protector is built into the insert on that model like most of the knives but I'm not sure) and caged ceramic bearings, and weighs only 4.6 oz (quite a lot lighter than the 0630, but with a larger blade). It's touch over your budget, at $345, but on paper it's a hell of a knife for the money and you can get it with normal ti handles or with sharp looking blackwashed handles.

Spyderco Southard if you can live with a hardened lock bar instead of an insert. If you don't own one, it's amazing. The cts-204p steel gives you the corrosion resistance, and the erogs on the blade make it melt into your hand.

Hmm...

That lock bar insert is the kicker. You can pick up a Bailey model 2 flipper for around $300. Custom knife that's a titanium frame lock. Phosphor bronze washers. Once broken in and proper technique is learned, it is an excellent flipper.

No lockbar insert, but I've never needed one. I have the geek edition, which has circuit board scales over the titanium. CPM-154, which is highly corrosion resistant and takes one hell of an edge.

d5d51b977e99957876717ad752ca3ac8.jpg

Sent via carrier pigeon

Wow , K.O.D. That's one cool knife ! :cool: :thumbup: I got a shorted out circuit in my brain just looking at it. :D

Spyderco Southard if you can live with a hardened lock bar instead of an insert. If you don't own one, it's amazing. The cts-204p steel gives you the corrosion resistance, and the erogs on the blade make it melt into your hand.

I support this, of course. Great knife. I'm carrying this one today, as it happens:

U3sxI5R.jpg

I'm with Yo Mama, the Southard has great ergos indeed. I've found it a comfortable, reliable companion over the years I've carried it as my primary pocket knife of choice. It's light enough and skinny enough to carry very well, but at the same time feels great in hand. I wish the blade was thinner and that it didn't have the goofy hole, and IMO the baby-poop brown stock scale on the normal model is both ugly and too aggressively rough, and the stock clip sucks. Sandpaper and RIT dye will fix the scale, though, and a variety of replacement pocket clips are available at relatively low cost.

At what they go for on the exchange you could get one secondhand there and then have some pretty sketchen scales made for it and have it look however you wanted for around $300. It dresses up nicely in a wide range of spiffy outfits, like this ivory snake juma:

3hc9TAD.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

K.O.D., that Geek Edition Model 2 is a sight to behold. I'll definitely take a look at Matt Bailey's creations.

The SpydieChef was one of the knives I was considering in my last thread. The LC200N would offer outstanding corrosion resistance. The only thing holding me back is the lack of a lock bar insert. I'm looking to avoid G10 handles for this purchase, which throws me off a bit with the Southard, though I may be able to live with it.

I'll keep an eye on the CKF models as well; a tad pricey but definitely fit the bill.

Thanks again everybody. Feel free to keep firing out recommendations!

If you like a knife other than the handle materials, there are plenty of people here who make custom scales. I have a Manix 2 in CTS-XHP and I hated the foliage green g-10. Steve Ketchen made some desert ironwood scales for me.

01e4f1e104bbea87faa1403b4fea4ce5.jpg

Sent via carrier pigeon

In the $300 price range, you will have a very hard time finding a full titanium frame lock knife that is built better than a Grayman Dua. Not fancy, but it has a sebenza style pivot bushing, 0.160 thick blade made of cpm20cv, and no lock stick.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Viper-Knives-Ten-Frame-Lock-Knife--30351

Hi folks, I'm back at it already.

• Good to excellent corrosion resistant steel N690
• Non-assisted check
• Titanium, carbon fiber or aluminum handles/frame Ti+CF
• Frame lock with a lock bar stabilizer, a lock bar insert or both sub-frame lock w/ adjustable insert for micro adjustments over the years
• Either a ball bearing pivot or good washers; if it has a ball bearing pivot, I'd prefer it to be an enclosed system to avoid accumulation of debris as opposed to KVT or IKBS (which I'm still open to however, especially the simplicity of KVT, though I'd prefer ceramic over steel ball bearings to avoid rust)thrust bearings

• Up to $300 USD <$200

Checks every box, a great value and I can't recommend it enough. personally I love mine, (red micarta), one of my favorite knives in my collection, so much so I even plan to buy 1 (or 2) more in green and cf at some point.

*and with $100 to spare, take the ol lady out to dinner, or buy another knife/multitool, whatever, or put it aside toward your next purchase!?

If you like a knife other than the handle materials, there are plenty of people here who make custom scales. I have a Manix 2 in CTS-XHP and I hated the foliage green g-10. Steve Ketchen made some desert ironwood scales for me.

Gorgeous! I do enjoy the idea of custom scales. Would it be pricey? I wouldn't be looking for anything particularly fancy, simply something to replace G10 (like carbon fiber).

In the $300 price range, you will have a very hard time finding a full titanium frame lock knife that is built better than a Grayman Dua. Not fancy, but it has a sebenza style pivot bushing, 0.160 thick blade made of cpm20cv, and no lock stick.

The Dua came highly recommended in my last thread, the only problem I have with it is that it doesn't have any over extension protection as far as I can tell (not that it's needed on a knife of that quality, just me being nit-picky). I might not opt for it this time around but it'll definitely be on my watchlist for my next purchase.

Also I'm not necessarily look for a FULL titanium frame knife. I don't mind combinations of two different materials such as the 0630CF. In fact, I have a thing for them.

Spyderco Slysz Bowie...just fantastic...

Another knife that's enticing but unfortunately doesn't appear to have over extension protection. I love the wire pocket clips Spyderco uses.

Last edited:
Well I believe I paid around $140 for those scales. I assume a single scaled knife such as Spyderco's Southard or Domino would cost less, depending on materials.

Sent via carrier pigeon

Hmm... I thought I left a response last night on this thread but I guess I must have forgot to enter it? Anyway, I was going to suggest the Cold Steel Hold Out series. It's much cheaper (in price) than your budget range. And you can choose from 3 different sizes. I personally got the H.O. II (medium size), on OD Green handle with tactical black coating on the blade. It features the Tri-Ad locking mechanism. You can find review videos YT (Cold Steel also has their own demo video for the H.O.).

&#49933;&#52860;&#51105;&#51060;;17058030 said:
Hmm... I thought I left a response last night on this thread but I guess I must have forgot to enter it? Anyway, I was going to suggest the Cold Steel Hold Out series. It's much cheaper (in price) than your budget range. And you can choose from 3 different sizes. I personally got the H.O. II (medium size), on OD Green handle with tactical black coating on the blade. It features the Tri-Ad locking mechanism. You can find review videos YT (Cold Steel also has their own demo video for the H.O.).

That is a very nice suggestion

CAM02792_zpsbxw1rjt6.jpg

I also have the limited edition one, it's a no-brainer for the $

CAM02016_zpsudapwl12.jpg

I've going to suggest something a bit out of the box...

A Reate Horizon C!
View attachment 695550
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Reate-Knives-Horizon-C-Frame-Lock--27191

Reate really makes a fine knife and the Horizon C is one of the better bargains in the knife world. It's got better fit and finish that anything of similar price from Spyderco, ZT or Benchmade and it checks all of your boxes...

• Good to excellent corrosion resistant steel CPM-S35VN
• Non-assisted Manual, multi-row bearing flipper
• Titanium, carbon fiber or aluminum handles/frame Full Ti, they make a version with a CF presentation scale, but it's beyond your budget
• Frame lock with a lock bar stabilizer, a lock bar insert (assuming they prevent over extension of the lock bar) or both (such as the Zero Tolerance Emerson 0630CF which has both, which I admit is a little overkill lol) This has a stainless lock bar insert and I'm fairly positive it serves as an over-travel protection
• Either a ball bearing pivot or good washers; if it has a ball bearing pivot, I'd prefer it to be an enclosed system to avoid accumulation of debris as opposed to KVT or IKBS (which I'm still open to however, especially the simplicity of KVT, though I'd prefer ceramic over steel ball bearings to avoid rust)Reate uses a caged bearing assembly
• Also open to lockbacks as well
• Up to $300 USD They typically can be found for around $250USD in any of three different colors

If you're not fond of the Horizon C, take a look at the Reate Hills if you can find one. The Hills is possibly one of the best bargains in the knife world currently. The Blade HQ exclusive Event Horizon gets put on sale from time to time also.

Back