Hunting 2020

Mark Knapp

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Some friends and I made a ten day float hunt on a river north of my home. Here's my moose.
Marks%20Moose.jpg

I'd love to see what you guys and gals get.

Wow! I have not been hunting in about two decades, other than coyote or rabbit hunting.

Nice moose! That is a lot of work. I've caped out and butchered a cow on its own hide and know how much labor that involves (and we had a tractor to lift the cow to split the spine with a power saw).

Thanks
Wow! I have not been hunting in about two decades, other than coyote or rabbit hunting.

Nice moose! That is a lot of work. I've caped out and butchered a cow on its own hide and know how much labor that involves (and we had a tractor to lift the cow to split the spine with a power saw).
Thanks Big

Congratulations on the beautiful bull! I'd love to hear the whole story.

I have a couple questions:
- Which knife, or knives, did you use to harvest the meat?
- What are your favorite recipes for moose and other big game?

Here's the story I posted on another site.

I just got back from my annual moose hunt and grayling fishing float trip. It's been raining here all summer and the rivers are all high and washed out. Beaver creek was so muddy you couldn't see the bottom in a foot of water resulting in horrible fishing. We were able to catch enough to eat but our normal 100 fish per day was just a dream this fall.

One of the consequences of Covid 19 this year was that none of the remote villages and towns were letting people float or fly into them to start or end trips so pressure on rivers that didn't require villages was dramatically increased. Normally we see one or two other parties on a ten day float trip on Beaver Creek, this year there were ten other parties. Everyone had to be patient of other parties on the river.

We had also had to cancel one of my other trips this fall that required a visit to a village.

We had one incident, early on, where another party made a moose drive (of 6 people) right through a spot we had been glassing for three days, watching cow moose and waiting for the bulls to show themselves. One of the drivers passed withing 30 yards of our camp. Kind of rude. We picked up and moved on down the river.

On the ninth day, of the ten day float, my buddy and I were floating past another parties camp in the evening, an hour or so before dark. At the end of the gravel bar, three or four hundred yards from their' camp, was a guy sitting on a log, we waved at him as we went by, he waved back with no other indication of anything. No sooner had we passed by him when I saw a bull moose just out of his view but within a long rifle shot of him. I looked back at him and could tell he didn't know the moose was there. I was within 125 yards of the moose, I shot it and when I did the guy on the log threw up his arms in disgust, blurted some foul language, gathered up his stuff and went to his camp. I hollered at him that I was sorry (to shoot a moose right in front of him, not that it was his moose).

After making sure the moose was secure I asked my buddy to walk over to the camp five hundred yards away and offer them half of the moose while I got started working on it. There's no way of knowing if he was even going to see the moose, or if he would have gotten it, if we hadn't come along but it seemed like a fair thing to do.

After a little while my buddy and the other hunter came over and we agreed he'd take half of the moose, he was very grateful for the offer and said he'd go back and get his partner and some game bags, knives and back packs in order to help with the butchering and carrying back their' meat. We got to talking about how much pressure their was on the river this year and I related to him the story of the inconsiderate guys that had done a moose drive though our camp. I saw a funny wrinkle on his face when I mentioned that.

When he back to where we were working on the moose, after talking to his hunting partner, he declined the offer of half of the moose. He said it was my moose, I got it fair and square and he wasn't taking any of it. I offered him a back strap or a tender loin and he declined it all. I said that maybe Karma would even it all out in the end and he got another weird wrinkle on his face. He helped process the moose and load it onto my raft. As he was leaving I asked him his full name and address, I was going to send him something nice. He wouldn't give it to me. He just said everything was cool.

Here's the kicker, it turns out, he and his partner were part of the crew that had made the drive though our camp. Karma, or what ever you want to call it is a funny thing. This time it was swift and pungent.

Stay tuned for a picture of the knives.

As for recipes, we use moose just like beef. We really like to do a low slow smoke on the ribs and brisket. This is a young moose so he won't need much tenderizing. Aging moose is pretty important. Usually we like to hang them for about 4 days at about 40 degrees. We make the tender loins and back straps into steaks. We usually cube the round steaks and shoulder steaks. Make burger and sausage out of the necks and shanks.

We like moose stew, tacos, chili and spaghetti.

Here's a picture of the knives. I made these knives with some tamahagani we made with Alaskan iron ore. They have handles of moose antler. It seemed fitting to use these on the moose hunt. They hold edges well.
DSCF5652-X3.jpg

The K22 in its natural habitat! Way to go, Phil! (nice knife, too!)

Just restarted archery hunting this year after about a 20 year break from it. First day hunting with a new crossbow and first day hunting a brand new hunting spot I managed to get an arrow into this 8 pointer on election day here in Wisconsin.
IMG_3446.jpeg

Browning BLR in .243 with Leupold 3x9. Here piggy, piggy:

7Q4Jbvt.jpg

There they be:

MPA7tgJ.jpg

Weatherby Vanguard in 6.5Creedmore with 4x16 Leupold. Here piggy piggy.

EMaGeSX.jpg

Never did see em that night. Not for a want of having the wind in our face and being quiet. Had rabbits cavorting on our feet:

AN0405f.jpg

Mr. Phil, giving the Kimber a break, I see. Classy little scattergun taking its place, though! Good to see that you're getting out.

My son put down a big cow elk, in OR where he's a resident:

bJT2KSm.jpg

She dropped in her tracks. He used his Horsewright Water Buffalo belt to drag her back to camp:

PVO0qcy.jpg

It's a versatile belt, he's used it as hobbles on his horse before too, but I'm not sure what I did with that picture. Anyhoo he got er back to camp and his wife and sister in law jumped in and got er done:

9lKXOPF.jpg

marZpmz.jpg

They were using a damascus Poco I made my daughter in law some years ago.

Wug4Xbo.jpg

Who says ya need a big knife?

A small knife works just fine if you know how to use it.

Lots of good meat there. My wife won't eat it unless I make a roast and don't tell her that it is elk, then she thinks it is good.

Great stories and great pics in this thread.

We love to hunt and seeing some of the landscapes you folks are in makes me happy.

I do a fair amount of hunting, as does my oldest son.

Over the last year, my youngest daughter (she’s a junior in HS this year) has really taken a liking to hog hunting with dogs and a knife.

The Dogs Head has just enough length to get under and behind the front leg to dispatch.
33859FF8-0F45-4A18-81B0-C7DBDF1B362B.jpeg B81833CE-D229-4BD2-A3AB-0D69217E41AD.jpeg

Great stories and great pics in this thread.

We love to hunt and seeing some of the landscapes you folks are in makes me happy.

I do a fair amount of hunting, as does my oldest son.

Over the last year, my youngest daughter (she’s a junior in HS this year) has really taken a liking to hog hunting with dogs and a knife.

The Dogs Head has just enough length to get under and behind the front leg to dispatch.
View attachment 1465677 View attachment 1465678
Nice.

Back