Hunting gear: firearms

The 223 on big game is not about "sport", and my post was not about deer. .22lr will take deer. I never claimed to be able to do anything with a bow. I just find it very amusing that the same guys on forums who claim to be able to take any critter with a field expedient bow will argue that moose, elk and bear can't be brained with an M4. Of course, such guys are full of it. The point is that the 223 fighting rifle can be made to suffice. It hits every bit as 'hard" as a KY rifle ever did, and quite a bit harder than the 4" .44 mag or the 8" 357 that Col Wesson used to take a grizzly and an elk, back in the 60's. Chief AJ has taken a grizz and a moose with a slingbow. Google it.

I can reliably hit a chuck at 20 yds with a Kimber Micro 9. It's just a question of walking the edges of soybean fields at dusk or dawn. This gear and method will suffice to take a dozen or more of them every spring. Once the beans get older/bigger/bitter, you have to switch to clover fields, and that will normally get as many more, Prairie dogs are easily taken with such a pistol, too. They have to eat their weight in grass or seeds every day, so they cant stay in their holes for very long. If youll use a little folding blind and crawl, or a taller, 3 sided blind and a little canvas chair, you can set up right in the middle of a "town", wipe out a 50 ft radius, move 30 yds, repeat. :)

....Furthermore, .223/5.56 is not a legal caliber to take deer with in many states or even rifles at all. Some, including myself, consider taking a risky brain shot on a deer with a minimal caliber to be reckless, immoral and unethical.
Advocating a brain shot on a deer is just more evidence he has never hunted deer.

you can't read, obviously. I never said deer. and you apparently can neither stalk, standhunt or shoot worth a hoot. Cause it aint hard to brain deer with a .22lr, much less a 223. You simply do what the bowhunters do, bait them into an area where you've set up a tree stand, have a little blind around you, camo, scent-killer, etc.

alewm, you sound a lot like flytyer. Claimed where he hunted (Ontario) he legally hunted deer many times with a .22Lr and thought nothing unethical about that. Made all the bow comparisons too. Drop his claims when it was mentioned that were he hunted it was illegal to hunt and take deer with any rimfire, much less the .22LR.

The 223 on big game is not about "sport", and my post was not about deer. .22lr will take deer. I never claimed to be able to do anything with a bow. I just find it very amusing that the same guys on forums who claim to be able to take any critter with a field expedient bow will argue that moose, elk and bear can't be brained with an M4. Of course, such guys are full of it. The point is that the 223 fighting rifle can be made to suffice. It hits every bit as 'hard" as a KY rifle ever did, and quite a bit harder than the 4" .44 mag or the 8" 357 that Col Wesson used to take a grizzly and an elk, back in the 60's. Chief AJ has taken a grizz and a moose with a slingbow. Google it.

I can reliably hit a chuck at 20 yds with a Kimber Micro 9. It's just a question of walking the edges of soybean fields at dusk or dawn. This gear and method will suffice to take a dozen or more of them every spring. Once the beans get older/bigger/bitter, you have to switch to clover fields, and that will normally get as many more, Prairie dogs are easily taken with such a pistol, too. They have to eat their weight in grass or seeds every day, so they cant stay in their holes for very long. If youll use a little folding blind and crawl, or a taller, 3 sided blind and a little canvas chair, you can set up right in the middle of a "town", wipe out a 50 ft radius, move 30 yds, repeat. :)

A bow has a sharp arrowhead on it that cuts through skin and tears up internals, people with 50lb bows drop an elk faster than ones with 85lb bows that have a tendency to go clean through the animal. With a bow it's not about the impact it's about the cut to the vitals, the speed/lbs is only used to penetrate the skin the arrowhead does the damage. "Braining" requires getting through the skull in the right place, yes a .223 or a .22lr "can" kill any animal with the right shot, at the same time vets have pulled dozen of .22lr out of dogs that kids shot up and the dog lived. Bow shots are always attempted vital shots usually done around 50 yards, are much easier to aim than a firearm for most people. And that slingbow that was used is a 50lb draw which is 15 lbs over the 35lb draw that many states require to hunt with a bow a make shift bow even a poorly made one is around 45lbs from the ones I've seen. I've seen PVC ones hitting the 70lb mark. If you relate all of your experience off of others and what you google you will start to sound like a know it all and eventually a fool. You need to get out and experience more and talk less about others experiences you've read, I could tell you stories of frontiersmen who killed bears with knives and spears but there is no way in hell I'd even attempt that.

The right tool for the right job will get the job done more effectively every time. That said if I had to use a .223 for survival and wanted to take down a deer it wouldn't be a head shot, seen to many people with .30-06/.308/270/etc.. attempt a head shot and either miss, or hit something like the antler, the nose and not drop the animal. I'd probably put a couple rounds into the vitals, and even then that's if I don't have a higher caliber sidearm with me. I hear a lot of people who say headshot every time on animals and after five minutes of circling them around themselves I realize they are full of it. Most deer hunters don't attempt headshots for multiple reasons, two biggest humane kill and the head intact. Not saying it's not possible, not saying people don't do it, just saying so many people who talk about aren't even hunters.

Head shots have too high a probability of not killing the deer quickly. A one inch change in impact can result in a complete miss, the jaw blown mostly off, hits in the nose, and so forth. A deer brain is not very large. Better to aim for the heart lung area with centerfire.

you must never have looked at an adult deer's skull, and you can't shoot. The jaw is 6" or more from the center of the brain. If you miss the heart by 6", at a quarter angle, you break the shoulder or miss the vitals. and yes, deer CAN run with a broken shoulder. The more skilled of us understand, guys, that YOU can't make such shots, You can't play concert piano, either. But others can. It's gut shots that don't kill quickly and anyone who fires at more than 200 yds is highly likely to get a gut hit. any animal can take one step in half a second, and half a step will convert a chest hit into a gut hit. 600 ft with a 308 means 1/4 second of bullet travel. I didn't say take head shots at 200 yds, which is obviously as close as YOU know how to get.

you must never have looked at an adult deer's skull, and you can't shoot. The jaw is 6" or more from the center of the brain. If you miss the heart by 6", at a quarter angle, you break the shoulder or miss the vitals. and yes, deer CAN run with a broken shoulder. The more skilled of us understand, guys, that YOU can't make such shots, You can't play concert piano, either. But others can. It's gut shots that don't kill quickly and anyone who fires at more than 200 yds is highly likely to get a gut hit. any animal can take one step in half a second, and half a step will convert a chest hit into a gut hit. 600 ft with a 308 means 1/4 second of bullet travel. I didn't say take head shots at 200 yds, which is obviously as close as YOU know how to get.

The typical response of someone full of it, seriously, yeah I can stalk, I can get 20 yards with a bow it's quite easy, on a friggen white tail because they are almost domesticated. When you are in the Rockies hunting the big ones and every tom richard and harry are out there during rifle season you'll be lucky to get at 100 yards. You come in here with your talk about legalities not being a thing, stating all these miraculous shots that you then say you've never actually done yourself. There's a dude who can shoot a revolver faster than any man with a semi auto pistol and shoot string at 50 yards, does that mean everyone can do it? No... Can what you are saying be done, yes of course, is it done effectively and often no it's not that's why many states have restrictions of larger than .223. Hell out here in GA I could probably get a spear or knife kill with a whitetail I've been so close to them, but I don't vitals is a more effective kill. Keep reading up on your crap keep coming in here hostile and watch yourself get bounced out the door, what you are advocating for the average man is not only inhumane in many places it's criminal, you've already expresses you have no regard for laws or common sense and claim to have been incarcerated so it seems to me that everything spewing out of your mouth is straight crap and you are here to rile up others who know what they are doing. When the need is there yeah sure use whatever means you have to do it, but advocating that it works every time is just crazy. Next your going to tell me in combat a .22 is all you need against body armor because head shots are so easy. I've run into 100s of people spewing this same stuff both online and real life and the bottom line is yes it can be done, people do do it, and it's not about your ability to shoot, as you've said you haven't killed a deer this way right? So why are you saying it's easy?

Wow. What happens when the deer just slightly turns it's head (micro-seconds) and you hit two inches forward and rip off the jaw? It simply is not sportsmanlike to hunt this way. I am starting to agree with many here that you're just full of it. I tried to give you some latitude being new here. Now, I know that you just spew crap.

Sooo... Anybody interested in talking firearms now that alewn is banned? This looked like an interesting thread that got derailed by the north end of a southbound horse...

Killed three does about two hours ago in my Georgia soybean fields (legally issued crop damage permit). Counted 25 separate deer in three fields. Used a Browning X-bolt .308 w/ a Swarovski scope, and all three were one- shot, instant kills. Oh...., and I don't TALK about hunting, I HUNT, and I have for forty+ years.:)

Killed three does about two hours ago in my Georgia soybean fields (legally issued crop damage permit). Counted 25 separate deer in three fields. Used a Browning X-bolt .308 w/ a Swarovski scope, and all three were one- shot, instant kills. Oh...., and I don't TALK about hunting, I HUNT, and I have for forty+ years.:)
I'll be over for supper.

I know what you mean. But things can back fire and you can get banned or slapped hard for typing what's on your mind.

Hopefully a new setup for me this deer season as well. CZ 550 in 6.5x55. IF I get it scoped and zeroed in time.

Just an old 1960 vintage Winchester model 88 in 308 with a leupold 1.5x5 here. I use it in the woods mostly.

I envy all you guys who can use rifles for deer. We're limited to shotguns with slugs here in IL. Or black powder, non-semi auto handguns, and bows. I've managed to take at least one deer with all 4 of those, but would really like to try out some of my rifles.

Back