Hunting knife steel

The hardest part is getting something to field dress!

This made me chuckle. The first deer I ever got (I was in 7th grade) was on the first day of bow season. Had my deer dressed and back home before noon. I told my dad “I thought you said bowhunting was hard.” He laughed.

The following year I didn’t get one until a few days after Christmas, lol!

Cpm m4 is a favorite of mine for any use. With a proper Ht its just as, if not substantially tougher than your carbon steels (1095, 52100) and it holds a very keen edge even when extremely thin. For skinning id even put it ahead of supersteels like s110v and the like just due to the fact that it is more likely to roll than chip and its alot more forgiving if you hit bone or something hard.

This made me chuckle. The first deer I ever got (I was in 7th grade) was on the first day of bow season. Had my deer dressed and back home before noon. I told my dad “I thought you said bowhunting was hard.” He laughed.

The following year I didn’t get one until a few days after Christmas, lol!

I went on my first deer hunt at 16 y/o , didn't get my first deer until 11 years later. Reflecting back on those unsuccessful years, I think the biggest problem was that we were "city hunter's". My father and me would drive upstate from NYC and hunt on public land. We had no pre-hunt preparation and didn't know the woods we were hunting in. And I can count at least half a dozen times that opening morning was ruined by noisy hunters. I remember one year a group of hunters drove a pickup truck into the middle of a cow pasture at dawn. It might have been the same year that when the sun came up, there were dozens of hunters posting the same pasture and some were in the line of fire.

Thankfully I moved upstate 25 years ago, so I'm not a city hunter anymore. I get a shot or at least see deer almost every season. I can hunt whenever I want and usually don't see another hunter.

Your post reminded me of those past hunts with my father ( he's a retired hunter at almost 90).

Here's my hunting knife. It's either this or a Buck 110.

casest.jpg

I’ve taken nearly every wild critter here in the Midwest, from tree rats to whitetail, and have been just fine using 420HC, 154CM, 1095, VG10, and a couple I know I’m forgetting. No problems, bring a small stone to touch em up if need be.
Now when the day comes that I finally drop Bigfoot, I might be rethinking what knife/knives I have on my belt.

I went on my first deer hunt at 16 y/o , didn't get my first deer until 11 years later. Reflecting back on those unsuccessful years, I think the biggest problem was that we were "city hunter's". My father and me would drive upstate from NYC and hunt on public land. We had no pre-hunt preparation and didn't know the woods we were hunting in. And I can count at least half a dozen times that opening morning was ruined by noisy hunters. I remember one year a group of hunters drove a pickup truck into the middle of a cow pasture at dawn. It might have been the same year that when the sun came up, there were dozens of hunters posting the same pasture and some were in the line of fire.

Thankfully I moved upstate 25 years ago, so I'm not a city hunter anymore. I get a shot or at least see deer almost every season. I can hunt whenever I want and usually don't see another hunter.

Your post reminded me of those past hunts with my father ( he's a retired hunter at almost 90).

Here's my hunting knife. It's either this or a Buck 110.

View attachment 1452508

That’s great! Thanks for sharing. What’s the knife?

I used buck, case, schrade, kabar, western and probably others - fixed blades - in my youth.
around 22 years ago, I was gifted a buck diamondback that was my go to for a while.
somewhere along the lines I picked up a paclite skinner and that is now my go to.
The 420HC does fine for me, but I'm not splitting bones or jabbing it into joints all willy nilly. it field dresses, skins, then quarters.
I typically touch it up after a successful day.

I am interested in a new hunting knife and I will most likely go with a 'more premium' steel, but thats more of a want than a need.

I remember some 30+ years ago when I bought my first custom hunting knife. Dozer in D2, still my favorite. At the time it was a super steel, for my needs it still is.

Back