Hurricane Laura -- Now Delta

In 2005, Hurricane Rita made landfall as a Category 3 storm at Sabine Pass, which is just a stone's throw from the Texican homestead in East Podunk (a/k/a Beaumont). At my old house (a couple miles from my current place), every house on the block had a tree on its roof, and the roads were all blocked by downed trees and downed powerlines. Power was out for weeks. And Southeast Texas is simply not habitable in the summer without air conditioning.

But that was just a couple months after Katrina, so it didn't get noticed much. It's mainly remembered as the storm where everyone in Houston needlessly evacuated and got stuck in traffic for 18 hours or so. And clogged up all the roads for the people who were actually in the storm's path. A hundred miles of gridlock, and no gas to be found. Thousands of people ran out of gas and had to abandon their cars.

Laura is currently on track to make landfall near Sabine Pass as a Category 3 early Thursday morning. It's like deja vu all over again. Except this time they're telling the folks in Houston to stay home, so maybe this time those who want to leave will be able to get out without too much trouble. Particular those in danger from the storm surge. But that's not me.

Fortunately, a couple months ago I picked up a full case of "Don Julio Double Cask Lagavulin Aged Edition," so I'm set to ride out the storm and its aftermath, but what about all those people who haven't been to the liquor store due to COVID-19?

For all you other Hogs in Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana, stay safe. It looks like we're in for a rough night tomorrow.

Last edited:
For a second there, I was worried you weren't prepared. Fortunately you got your business done.

but what about all those people who haven't been to the liquor store due to COVID-19?
That must be a Texas thing...here in NY, the liquor stores are sometimes the one place people will go (and a bunch offer delivery, for those that really shouldn't venture out). There will always be people that don't have enough sense to prepare for tough times...at least in TX you can shoot them if you need to.
Stay safe

Hang in there. I’m staying put and hunkering down in Houston.

Stay safe everyone. The track shows it passing through TN ... so that may be fun.

Hope you ride this one out without too much trouble. Times like this everyone pulls together. If you are unlucky everyone will hear about that case of Lagavulin and pull together by going over to your place to help you drink it.

If you can do it safely, get a stormy pic of a Busse or two :thumbsup:

I hope you folks in the storm's path get through it without any significant problems; take care!

I am here:

mu7wXDH.jpg

Lots of wind likely for me, and I'll probably be without power for a while, but the folks in South Louisiana are going to get the brunt of the storm surge. Hope COPIOUS and Gravelface and the rest of the Louisiana krewe are far enough north or east that it's not going to be an issue for them. It would suck to be in Cameron Parish tomorrow night.

Damn. I didn't think of that. Most of them are heavy enough to stay grounded, but all those Game Wardens....

Praying for y’all from over in Baton Rouge.
Rita took out our power for a couple days all the way over here. Right after Katrina took ours out for a week. You’re right. Not many folks remember Rita.

Being born and raised in South Florida, I have been dealing with hurricanes for as long as I can remember. The good thing here is that the homes are built with hurricane safety in mind. Places like TX and LA that don't see as many storms do not tend to have the same construction techniques so they usually see more damage. Hopefully all our gulf coast HOGs are safe. We'll be praying for you!

Back