Hurricane Laura -- Now Delta

Stay safe my friend.

In 2005, Hurricane Rita made landfall as a Category 3 storm at Sabine Pass, which is just a stone's throw from the Texican homestead in East Podunk (a/k/a Beaumont). At my old house (a couple miles from my current place), every house on the block had a tree on its roof, and the roads were all blocked by downed trees and downed powerlines. Power was out for weeks. And Southeast Texas is simply not habitable in the summer without air conditioning.

But that was just a couple months after Katrina, so it didn't get noticed much. It's mainly remembered as the storm where everyone in Houston needlessly evacuated and got stuck in traffic for 18 hours or so. And clogged up all the roads for the people who were actually in the storm's path. A hundred miles of gridlock, and no gas to be found. Thousands of people ran out of gas and had to abandon their cars.

Laura is currently on track to make landfall near Sabine Pass as a Category 3 early Thursday morning. It's like deja vu all over again. Except this time they're telling the folks in Houston to stay home, so maybe this time those who want to leave will be able to get out without too much trouble. Particular those in danger from the storm surge. But that's not me.

Fortunately, a couple months ago I picked up a full case of "Don Julio Double Cask Lagavulin Aged Edition," so I'm set to ride out the storm and its aftermath, but what about all those people who haven't been to the liquor store due to COVID-19?

For all you other Hogs in Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana, stay safe. It looks like we're in for a rough night tomorrow.

Looks like it’s just gonna graze us here in Houston. How you holding up? Prayers heading your way.

Still need a check in from you JTT- Doesn't sound like anyone has power down there and western La looks like she's been blown to pieces - Praying for all the folks down there man.

Still need a check in from you JTT- Doesn't sound like anyone has power down there and western La looks like she's been blown to pieces - Praying for all the folks down there man.

A fence across our back yard got destroyed. Since it was about 10' high and 80' long, it's gong to cost about the price of a Chuckette, a Dragon's Fang, and probably a Nuclear Seahorse to boot. But other than that, and the up rotted tree that too a section of the fence with it, no obvious damage. We didn't even loose power during the storm, but due to damage to the transmission lines and facilities, they're doing rolling blackouts. The power here went off at about 4:00 p.m., and came back on a little before midnight. It's likely to go off again when the sum comes up and demand for air condition goes up with it.

But it's on now, and I can quit sweating long enough to maybe get some sleep.

It's like déjà vu all over again. Not in the path of the eye here in Beaumont, but we've been getting a lot of wind and rain from Hurricane Delta. Just tropical storm strength here, but still enough to break a big old tree on a neighboring lot in half and drop twenty or so feet of it in our pool.

We're just on the edge of it here; southwest Louisiana's taking the brunt of it. Again. Hope all the Louisiana crew are staying safe and dry.

It's like déjà vu all over again. Not in the path of the eye here in Beaumont, but we've been getting a lot of wind and rain from Hurricane Delta. Just tropical storm strength here, but still enough to break a big old tree on a neighboring lot in half and drop twenty or so feet of it in our pool.

We're just on the edge of it here; southwest Louisiana's taking the brunt of it. Again. Hope all the Louisiana crew are staying safe and dry.
Keep your powder dry!

Back