I bought a new knife from a new knife Company, Quiet Carry

Hey guys and gals, I just bought a new knife! Shocking, I know. But this is the first knife I bought without handling, it was a leap of faith and boy was I glad I did. I saw it and fell in love. The other crazy thing was that it was from a company I had never heard of. $188 is a lot of money, but it would not put undo stress on my finances so I took the gamble and it paid off. I love this knife. Design is excellent as is fit and finish. The only negative is the steel, and it is not really a negative unless you are a steal snob. It is VG 10 which in my opinion is a pretty good steel. I would classify this as a gentlemans folder. The company does small runs of knives, so they are somewhere between a custom shop and a mid tech company.
This is the Quiet Carry IQ
2.9 in blade
3.7 handle
Titanium framelock
What do you guys think
doMhZan.jpg

xG1R70B.jpg

GIhXUI0.jpg

I've seen these around, and they're definetly on my "maybe" list. Good looking knives though, no doubt.

Congrats on the score.
I like the clean design.
The blade seems to be nicely thin for the size.

Nice little knives. I would very much hesitate to call them something near mid-tech or custom though.

The knife isn't for me but I thought you might want to see this.
Nick has had a little too much espresso and I don't know if it is Ti or Alu (he said "metal").
. . . anyway if you have not already seen it enjoy !

Too expensive for the end product and materials. Is it made in China, Japan or USA? Anyone know what factory?

I can understand that low production numbers will increase costs but at that price it's a bit cray. You could get a benchmade 940 for that cost or a 940-1 in the exchange for just a bit more and they have similar blade shapes with better steel (not that vg10 is bad at all). Heck you could get any vg10 knife from Mcusta for cheaper and these are amazing knives for the cost.

Twosun and real Steel offer Tc4 titanium knives with higher end steel at cheaper costs than this.

Just trying to be realistic here.

I realize this is a "gentlemen's " knife , so maybe does not have to be very ergonomic . But if I'm going to bother to carry one , I'd prefer it to be as functional as possible . This was made mostly to look good rather than perform well . Not for me (but YMMV ). :thumbsdown:

The IQ is a very nice looking knife; the kind of knife I usually like to carry on the weekdays.

Quiet Carry started out as a Kickstarter company. Their first knife was a little keychain fob, similar to a Spyderco dogtag. Their next knife also released as a Kickstarter campaign, The Strand. I was intrigued and bought in to the crowd funding.

At first I was rather impressed with the knife but in relatively short order the "D2" steel began to pit and show rust. Far quicker than I'd have expected for D2. With use the knife started to "loosen" up, I think due to soft hardware. The pivot has gotten sloppy and the blade won't center and even the body screws have some play in them. It's almost as if the knife was tight and well fitting due to thread locker that eventually broke away.

As a result, I've looked at other Quiet Carry offerings but find them to be way too expensive for the sum of the parts. Also, I'm not certain where they're made and under what conditions. I have a hunch that Quiet Carry doesn't actually manufacture the knives but has the parts imported and assembled here in the US.

Anyway, they offer compelling looking knives that are overpriced, seem to be made from unverified materials and have a mysterious supply chain. I'm not throwing them into the same category as Qtrmstr but I'm cautious.
View attachment 988758

Last edited:
The IQ is a very nice looking knife; the kind of knife I usually like to carry on the weekdays.

Quiet Carry started out as a Kickstarter company. Their first knife was a little keychain fob, similar to a Spyderco dogtag. Their next knife also released as a Kickstarter campaign, The Strand. I was intrigued and bought in to the crowd funding.

At first I was rather impressed with the knife but in relatively short order the "D2" steel began to pit and show rust. Far quicker than I'd have expected for D2. With use the knife started to "loosen" up, I think due to soft hardware. The pivot has gotten sloppy and the blade won't center and even the body screws have some play in them. It's almost as if the knife was tight and well fitting due to thread locker that eventually broke away.

As a result, I've looked at other Quiet Carry offerings but find them to be way too expensive for the sum of the parts. Also, I'm not certain where they're made and under what conditions. I have a hunch that Quiet Carry doesn't actually manufacture the knives but has the parts imported and assembled here in the US.

Anyway, they offer compelling looking knives that are overpriced, seem to be made from unverified materials and have a mysterious supply chain. I'm not throwing them into the same category as Qtrmstr but I'm cautious.
View attachment 988758

Your concerns echo mine, and are the primary reason why I've always been reluctant to purchase or recommend them to anyone.

Back