I do not like key organizers. Wondering if I am alone?

I really do not like things like Keybar or Keysmart for a number of personal reasons. I keep all 5 of my keys(two of which are micro) on a custom Paracord lanyard. Which is Three inches long. At the end of that the keys are held by a locking "U" bolt that is 3/8 of an inch. The keys never get out of alignment in my pocket. I also carry a number of other EDC items in the same pocket.

I was just wondering if I was alone on this? Is a key organizer a must have? Or are there other folks that feel as I do?

This post is not a joke. I am trying to judge if I should really have one and get used to it. Thank you folks

I have always had way too many keys. I don’t have organizers. Just rings for different sets. Each set has an extra empty ring on it to clip it to a caribiner. I keep the carabiner on my belt to put whatever sets of keys I need that day then they all go in my pocket to stop the jangling.

I really do not like things like Keybar or Keysmart for a number of personal reasons. I keep all 5 of my keys(two of which are micro) on a custom Paracord lanyard. Which is Three inches long. At the end of that the keys are held by a locking "U" bolt that is 3/8 of an inch. The keys never get out of alignment in my pocket. I also carry a number of other EDC items in the same pocket.

I was just wondering if I was alone on this? Is a key organizer a must have? Or are there other folks that feel as I do?

This post is not a joke. I am trying to judge if I should really have one and get used to it. Thank you folks

I don't know what you're talking about. Can you show some photos?

Unfortunately not at the moment. Just Google Keybar or Keysmart. I am assuming that if you have no idea. As to what they are. That now makes three of us that do not use them.
I am feeling a bit less odd at the moment. As if these are required accoutrements. I try to fashion myself both as a Man of substance and Macgyver Or rather, Bond.....James Bond.
I am just injecting humor of course.

Unfortunately not at the moment. Just Google Keybar or Keysmart. I am assuming that if you have no idea. As to what they are. That now makes three of us that do not use them.
I am feeling a bit less odd at the moment. As if these are required accoutrements. I try to fashion myself both as a Man of substance and Macgyver Or rather, Bond.....James Bond.
I am just injecting humor of course.

Ok. I remember seeing one of those. Do they make one that holds 100 keys? LOL It seems like that's how many keys that I have.

See, I only have 5 keys. 2 of them are micro size. I feel in my case they are bulky. They make my small pile of keys considerably larger and heavier, They do not allow me the articulation I like when deploying a key.
I think they are made for people that have a moderate amount of keys. Not a lot and not a few like myself. Perhaps if I really wanted maybe one of the leather ones would suit me. Although I really like my lanyard. Going on 2021 keys are mostly extinct. I understand for a myriad of reasons many people have not escaped them yet. I have 5 left for devices that simply cannot be controlled by other means. They are not even items that belong to myself or my family. Keys in and of themselves are something I am glad to be rid of. They present several different hassles. I am sure everyone can agree with that statement. Nonetheless, I am sure they will live on in many places for a 1,000 more years at least. I am happy with my lanyard. I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't need to have every single gadget. Especially since I find these items to be cumbersome at best.

image.jpeg image.jpeg The Bison Design Circle Caddy lets me organize keys and other items. The split rings that come with them are quite large, so I get an assortment of rings at the tackle store. I use the smallest ring that can attach an item to the ball hanger. The hangers are attached the the Aluminum center by retracting the gate. The set up is light, modular, tangle free, and quick to customize. It is easy to detach a car key or key fob to lessen the weight hanging from the ignition.
A lanyard can be attached to the center using the inverted V. At the 12 o'clock position of the red center and the 4 o'clock position of the blue center are hangers with 2 keys each. It is easy to remove a tool, like a tape measure, when needed. Can even carry hearing aid batteries.image.jpeg

For my 5 keys I am happy with my minimalist solution. My big point about key organizers was I am not looking to add size and weight. tiguy7, that would be complete overkill for me and go mostly unused. It does look neat though.

I might see one for my set of church keys. 6 keys that spend most of the time in the center console of the car. My car keys include 3 keys and the remote locking fob so I can't see using one. My work keys number around 30 keys the won't work for them

I have a lot of keys, and I don't have one. The Keybar and the Keysmart add weight and mass themselves, it looks like the equivalent of adding 3-4 keys for each "organizer". Different things work well for different people. Modern car keys with batteries and buttons won't fit inside them.

For those who find that is the best solution to them - great, happy for them! It's not the right solution for me.

All my keys are personal keys, no work keys or others. So when I say "a lot", in my case that's around 8. Sometimes I will add or subtract a key, for example, padlock keys. I also have a separate set of keys for when I ride my motorcycle. There are five keys on that one.

I've seen the key organizers; but they're useless to me in a practical sense.
I don't even carry my keys anymore - what am I going to organize with one of those. My car key & fob have a small flashlight attached(shocker, right?). That goes in my pocket or backpack. I have a ring with keys that I occasionally need that I keep in my car (if somebody steals them, and can figure out what they're for, they can use them).

I like a nice leather “wraparound” especially if I need to walk around with a metric ton of keys that day. Prevents pocket damage and reduces key jingle.

Brass/stainless swivel snap hook, key ring, keys...done. I clip the snap hook to a belt loop & slide the keys into pocket. Snap hook or belt loop fails = keys in pocket. Keys are also not bunched up at the bottom of the pocket, easy to get to & are out the way of my knife. Simple, cheap & these snap hooks last a long time. I'm on my second in 30 yrs. 1st didn't break so much as I wore it out. :p:thumbsup:

I like the idea of these organizers, but in practice they added weight/bulk or prevented selecting the correct key with one hand. Everything is a trade off. If you’re happy with your current setup, just ignore the marketing.

Never liked them much myself, but then I got one.

I got the NiteIze Bigfoot with the locking S-biners. It's pretty cool actually...

nite-ize-bigfoot-locker-keyrack.jpg

There are times when I need to take one of the keys off the ring and leave it with someone, or in a vehicle.

I used to have one key per S-biner like the photo, but now each of the clips has a split key ring with a couple keys on it. Still very handy.

I hate keys in my pants pocket, and always forget them in my coat pocket. Solution for me is hanging them on the belt. But then I hate jingling when I walk, so don't want the keys loose.

I only carry 3 keys and my car fob, so this Orbitkey works perfectly for me. Hook over the belt and wear around 3:00. They're silent and out of the way.

yVXuKG5.jpg

B5ByR6F.jpg

Thank you all. All of you share my sentiments exactly. I feel much more confident now. As I mentioned earlier. I need not have every last gadget made. If something suits me well, then it shall suffice. Thank you Folks

I can't stand carrying a bulky keychain and I simplified my key carrying method years ago. The vehicle fob is the only key I carry in my pocket. I keep my house key on a retractable Key-Bak key-ring, and that stays attached to he shoulder strap on my EDC pack that goes with me when I leave the house (and typically stays in my vehicle). That way I never even have to remove my house key from the pack; just reach up to my shoulder, unlock/lock the door, and let the key retract back. I never need to search for my key either because it's always on my pack. Any other keys for various properties or locks go in a small pouch inside my pack for whenever I may need them. I honestly don't see a need to carry them all with me in my pocket everywhere.

ghQ3yU0.jpg

I like the idea of them, and if I was carrying more keys I would probably use one. I've got my keyring pared down to just three keys (car, house, mailbox) so putting them in a key carrier would increase the bulk, rather than decreasing it!

A lot of my keys are duplicates for in case I lose a key ring full. If I lock my keys in my car, I have a spare door key on the key ring in my other pocket. Plus I have many, many padlocks.

Back