I do not like key organizers. Wondering if I am alone?

I have a little hook Keychain and just attach my keys to that. I have 4 house keys, a mailbox key, storage locker key, mini flashlight and 3 sets of car keys that I clip on depending what I'm driving that day. Then the whole thing clips to my pocket and lays pretty flat.

I have three separate "sets" of keys. One is just the car key. At home it gets left in the ignition. The other daily carry one has 7/8 keys on it, including the house key. I keep it separate because I wind up going back in the house too often after getting in the car. The other one is pretty big and has all my other, rarely used keys on it and I never "carry" it. It goes in my pocket to unlock something otherwise it is in the car or house.

It seems so many of the organisers add weight, bulk, or just one more step to using a key

I am happy with my lanyard. I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't need to have every single gadget. Especially since I find these items to be cumbersome at best.

And there you have your answer. If it works for you, why would you spend money to add weight and bulk? Much of the stuff invented in the last 50 years, maybe the last 100, is just somuch useless overpriced crap for folks who "have to have the latest...".

Also, if you have an actual key for your ignition it is not good to have any extra weight on the key.

I carry two keys in Japanese brass hook that I hang from my belt. That’s it. I can’t stand carrying keys so I make it as unnoticeable as possible and it works perfectly.

Most of the keys here aren’t flat so organizers would not work anyway.

Nah, you're not alone. My keys + EDC bramble hang big and jingling on a lanyard with a ring and an stainless steel karabiner / snaphook.
In fact, I always count on the jingle of the keys when leaving to work...

I did not realize this was still going. This was my entire point. I have only 5 keys. 3 of which are micro mailbox keys. A key "system" will only add bulk and weight for me. I might see the point if you had 10 or more keys however. Plus I need an excuse to use my custom made lanyard. I do not like lanyards on knives at all. I just figured I needed it to be cool. Can you believe I am asking that at almost 80 years old? Plus the real downside of those things is how they jut out from the key while in use. I have not had a car that takes a key this Century. It would be an issue in a door lock I imagine. None of our door locks even use keys. The few keys I have are padlocks on our farm. I could actually do away with them as well. Leaving only the mailbox keys. Which are but 3 and tiny. The other two hardly matter either. Adding a large hunk of metal around them would, to me. This is just as I forego a pocket pouch. Not everyone does the same thing I suppose. I pair down the bulk. The William Henry that I carry weighs a little over .5OZ. My heavy item is a custom Mokume flashlight. It is about 3" long. Well that is the conclusion. I am not going to be getting a key system after all. Thanks Folks

I think that’s kinda the biggest issue I see with keybar type organizers... great concept, but 30 years too late realistically. Most of us these days only have a few keys that would even work with them.

Car keys are all on big, electronic fobs (if there is even an actual key). Lots of business now all work off of key cards. Most safes and such all use barrel style keys. You just don’t have much more than a house key or two that are a normal, ‘standard’ style key these days. 30 years ago, sure, but not these days.

I use a Keybar and a Keygrip. I like the fact that they are both compact and don't jingle, stab my leg or take up much room. To each his own and your opinion will vary. I only cary four keys(same) in each and the keys in the Keygrip are all cut down to make them slimmer and an original Pocketweez is stashed in there too.

vKhAxJX.jpg

LQsnObq.jpg

Back