I hate SAK's !!!

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I hate them sometimes because they make too good of an edc blade.
How am I supposed to carry something else knowing how useful and capable my recruit or tinker are ? I love my other knives, but sometimes when carrying something else I think about how awesome Vic's are and how I wish one was in my pocket ( besides a classic ).
I always have my Leatherman fuse for the pliers, so I've got everything else I use from my Vic's but having these tools more conveniently on my knife is so much better and there just so classic that they give a sense of pleasure to carry.

I know I could just always have one on me but I only have so much pocket space and try not to carry more than one primary sized EDC folders. I guess I just have to deal with not having one on me sometimes, I almost always have a classic on me but those are just a complementary tool.

the SAK and Leatherman Core could cover 95% of my needs for the day, true

GpXSr7g.jpg

but trying out others is fun too :thumbsup:

If they offered their regular models with a serrated blade, I wouldn't have much need for anything else.
I don't know what it is about their serrations, but they just cut and cut and cut...

If they offered their regular models with a serrated blade, I wouldn't have much need for anything else.
I don't know what it is about their serrations, but they just cut and cut and cut...
They used to make a serrated tinker, but I don't remember what they called it.

I remember not long ago, someone posted about their serrated Spartan(?).

I always have 2 Victorinox SAKs on me; a black Executive and a plain, silver Pioneer. I used to wear my Spirit multi-tool on my belt, which made carrying the Pioneer redundant, but now I only carry the Spirit on certain occasions.

I wear cargo pants at work and while out and about, so I've got enough pockets. I carry the Exec down in my RF (sometimes I switch it to LF) pocket, and the Pioneer next to my wallet in my left (front) cargo pocket. I also usually carry a one-handed folder clipped to my RF pocket, which today is my CRK small Inkosi. Interestingly, the small Inkosi is basically the same size overall, including blade length, as my Pioneer.

I know I could get by with just an SAK; my one and only EDC knife when I lived overseas in Taiwan in the '80s to '90s was an older version of the Vic Spartan that did not have tweezers or a toothpick.

Jim

I only have so much pocket space and try not to carry more than one primary sized EDC folders.

That's why God invented the man purse.
And or belt pouch.
At work The Pouch goes from back pack onto my belt. The pouch contains a Mechanic, an Explorer and a Bantam (with extra shallow edge grind). Not that I have much use for Swiss Army knives (only every day).
Plus what ever is clipped to my pocket(s) (longer harder blades still ALWAYS have a home in my EDC).

Yah . . . join the modern world and gear up with a man purse. If you are ever attacked you can always
whomp 'em with your purse (heavily laden with knives). Easily, if embarrassingly, defendable in court.
:eek:o_O

Gotta love Victorinox's serrated blades. They, like Spyderco's, keep cutting and are very durable (tough) while easy to sharpen, and hardly ever snag.

MiCeOnW.jpg

My favorite patterns in SE

I wear cargo shorts every day in the summer and do have enough pocket space, but I just don't like to load all 9 pockets up with stuff and try not to carry a bunch of extra unused knives.
For me normally it's a primary folder in my pockeg, a Vic classic or LM Micra in the same pocket , LM fuse on my belt, and tiny carbon steel imperial around my neck ( gotta always have some patina'd carbon steel on me ), and sometimes a belt knife as well.

I carry my Vic's often enough ,but it's just not in me to always have a full sized one on me no matter what.
The problem is that SAK's aren't really an enthusiasts knife, they're an only knife all day every day option and I have other knives to love.

I carry a SAK nearly every day of the week cause it so handy. I also use it as a food prep at lunch or my Opinels. I like having Options!

Do an ebay search Victorinox serrated, and you'll find quite a few.
I fact I grabbed a serrated Side Chef this morning after reading this thread. Didn't even know that model existed.
Just a sucker for folding kitchen knives of which I have a few now.

My Swiss Champ lives in my left front pocket. That leaves my right front pocket open for other EDC knives.

O.B.

Having carriied my Trestle Pines Grand Portage for about 6 months I'm back to carrying my Vic Explorer. The GP is in my opinion the greatest Barlow of all time and I love Barlows. It has a screwdriver/caplifter as well as a fine wharncliff blade. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a corkscrew, phillips screwdriver, scissors, can opener, awl, hook, etc, etc.
A good SAK is hard to leave put away.

Sak knives ,vixtorinox and Wenger's are in my opinion best and most useful knives ,period.you can get by just with Sak.I have been carrying Vic Spartan exclusively for past 3months when I was on road(south america)and it did everything from preparing food to fixing some equipment.they also look non threatening and can be carried anywhere.also easy to replace when lost and they cut like crazy and are easy to sharpen on whatever you have.they easily outperform knives that cost many times more.I'll keep buying more of these as to me they serve me better than 200+other knives I have including spyderco and benchmade.large sak locking knives are excellent too especially when on road.

Back