I hate SAK's !!!

That's right, I almost forgot about that.
However, it's still way too easy to just pick one model and stick with it.

And that's different from other knives...how exactly?

I still can't figure out why someone would buy a dozen (or dozens of) "modern" folders. "This one locks, and I can open with one hand...this one locks, and I can open it with one hand...this one locks, and..."

Or traditional guys who collect a single pattern: "this one's in jigged bone, this one's in olive micarta, this one's in red micarta, this one's in snakewood..."

But more power to 'em.;)

Last edited:
And that's different from other knives...how exactly?

I still can't figure out why someone would buy a dozen (or dozens of) "modern" folders. "This one locks, and I can open with one hand...this one locks, and I can open it with one hand...this one locks, and..."

Or traditional guys who collect a single patten: "this one's in jigged bone, this one's in olive micarta, this one's in red micarta, this one's in snakewood..."

But more power to 'em.;)
Vic's are different from other knives because regular folders are just not as universally ideal, and it's easy to want to seek something else that may be better.
Pick you're favorite Vic model then pair of pliers of your choice and you're all set, no need to even think about anything else.

All I'm saying is that they get the job done so well that it feels a bit weird to leave one at home in lue of something else ( no matter how much I love this other knife ) that doesn't provide as much utility.
I do it and it's not a huge deal, but It doesn't take long for me to see a pic of a Vic someone's carrying and feel a bit strange about it.

Vic's are different from other knives because regular folders are just not as universally ideal, and it's easy to want to seek something else that may be better.
Pick you're favorite Vic model then pair of pliers of your choice and you're all set, no need to even think about anything else.

All I'm saying is that they get the job done so well that it feels a bit weird to leave one at home in lue of something else ( no matter how much I love this other knife ) that doesn't provide as much utility.
I do it and it's not a huge deal, but It doesn't take long for me to see a pic of a Vic someone's carrying and feel a bit strange about it.

I understand what you're saying, but I take a different approach.

Every time I leave the house I leave dozens of SAKs at home...but I always have one with me.

When I'm going to work (I'm a teacher) it's typically a Pioneer in pocket and a Classic on my keys. When I'm elsewhere it's a Compact in my left pocket and a larger single-blade folder (a Case Tribal Lock or a Boker Urban trapper) in my right. If I'm working in the yard it's a 111mm Hunter, etc.

Then there is my Golfer variants collection, and my Alox collection, my Old Cross collection, my Soldiers... With Victorinox's long history and near-infinite variety of tool combinations there's a lot to be enthusiastic about.

:)

I hate them sometimes because they make too good of an edc blade.
How am I supposed to carry something else knowing how useful and capable my recruit or tinker are ? I love my other knives, but sometimes when carrying something else I think about how awesome Vic's are and how I wish one was in my pocket ( besides a classic ).
The Classic is too small for me generally speaking. But I know exactly how you feel as I like knives too, all kinds of knives, but the damn SAK always seems to show up in my pocket and I often don't really want to carry another one. Life's little woes I guess. I'm thankful that I discovered SAKs like 30 years ago. The Tinker was my very first SAK.

I wonder if I would be a big traditional knife guy if SAKs didn't exist. What would I carry.... a Barlow, stockman, trapper.... Probably a two blade jack knife of some sort I guess. I like two blades. Most of my traditionals have two blades. The GEC #48 Improved Trapper would certainly be a candidate. I have two of them, so that base is covered. ;)

Or would I be another modern knife guy who has 50 of them and can't decide what I like.....

Last edited:
The Classic is too small for me generally speaking. But I know exactly how you feel as I like knives too, all kinds of knives, but the damn SAK always seems to show up in my pocket and I often don't really want to carry another one. Life's little woes I guess. I'm thankful that I discovered SAKs like 30 years ago. The Tinker was my very first SAK.

I wonder if I would be a big traditional knife guy if SAKs didn't exist. What would I carry.... a Barlow, stockman, trapper.... Probably a two blade jack knife of some sort I guess. I like two blades. Most of my traditionals have two blades. The GEC #48 Improved Trapper would certainly be a candidate. I have two of them, so that base is covered. ;)

Or would I be another modern knife guy who has 50 of them and can't decide what I like.....
If they didn't exist, you could always go with a scout or US K-818 ( i still gotta get me a K-818, don't care what make but imperial would be a bonus )

Now the classic is a bit small for me to want to carry by itself as well, but since my grandfather carried one everyday for years as an only knife I may have to try it sometime.

My "small" is a Leatherman PS4 Squirt that I suspect replaces the Vic Classic although I seldom use the blade, mostly the pliers. My "small sak" is the Bantam which I carry if I'm carrying a larger traditional or modern knife. It's there for the tweezers and toothpick mostly although the blade is quite functional. Probably will pick up a couple other "small" thin saks sized the same as the Bantam if I run onto one in a store. I tend to spend some time looking at the various SAKs each visit to the large East TN knife store. They pretty much stock all of them.

My "small" is a Leatherman PS4 Squirt that I suspect replaces the Vic Classic although I seldom use the blade, mostly the pliers. My "small sak" is the Bantam which I carry if I'm carrying a larger traditional or modern knife. It's there for the tweezers and toothpick mostly although the blade is quite functional. Probably will pick up a couple other "small" thin saks sized the same as the Bantam if I run onto one in a store. I tend to spend some time looking at the various SAKs each visit to the large East TN knife store. They pretty much stock all of them.

The Waiter (with is the cellidor Bantam with a corkscrew added) is an awesome everyday carry knife, particularly if you add the mini screwdriver to the corkscrew and add a straight pin (the hole for it is in the scale of newer models). In addition to handling eyeglass screws, the screwdriver is great for those tiny screws in remotes and other electronic devices, and the usefulness of the straight pin is limited only by one's imagination. If I didn't use scissors so frequently, I'd carry one daily.

I'm rather fond of my Huntsman. Been carrying it for about a year straight, every day, including weekends, and I have used every blade and tool on it ... except the corkscrew ... I don't drink ...
Prior to the Huntsman, it was a 4 blade scout/camp knife, for at least 30 years.
I also carry a Stockman, Barlow, and Old Timer 7OT with the Huntsman.
There are times a clip point, sheepsfoot, or Spey blade are a better choice than a spear point for the job at hand.

Back