I have decided to Test a $350 Plus STRIDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided to go for broke because I simply can't resist.

With all the die hard STRIDER fans on Blade Forums I want to see What one
can do ? I have never owned one or used one.

According to STRIDERS web site. FAQ

What is Strider’s warranty?
Per Mick Strider:

"If you break it, I'll be impressed. If I can’t fix it, I will replace it."

"We'll fix anything, but we won't fix anything for free."

"We Guarantee that your knife will perform. We don’t guarantee that it wont get wear marks from use."

"Function and Sharpness are free, like new frills cost."

If I am able to break it ? I will see if the above statement is true.

I will order a Strider fixed blade. After the first of January. I will proceed with the test as soon as I receive the knife. I will have the whole test unedited per
60 minute Mini DV tapes if it takes that long for total failure ?

Post your suggestions on What SRTIDER fixed blades you want me to test ?

It's time to put up or shut up !

Who will survive and what will be left of them ?

Cool idea, but I don't think many people have trouble with their fixed blades. It's their folders that are so hotly debated.

Umm, just make sure you know where to draw the line between hard use and intentional abuse. I wouldn't expect any knifemaker or knife company to replace free, a knife that was intentionally abused.

I don't care if they replace the knife or not that will be up to STRIDER ?

If you read the statement it does not say how it is used. NORMAL use or EXTREME use.

I will do this test and if I break it I will send it back to Strider.

I have nothing against strider. I have never owned one or used one.

I just want to abuse the hell out of it and see what it can take. Just for fun !

um its pointless to review the fixed blades, there are several videos circulating of some airsoft kids disassembling an FN-FAL airsoft gun with a BT, and one vid of a kid taking the crash axe and what might be an MT to a car (yugo i think?) hood, window, side panels etc.

Probably want to test a folder if you want to do something really informative.

Also I wouldnt *Intentionally* break it or you go on the Mo-Mo list at Strider, I think they will replace anything once, but if its obvious you put it in a vice and snapped it, i wouldnt expect them to replace it more than once.

Edit :
Pick a Strider GB, hell if you can break that without a vice id be pretty impressed myself.

Well, you should get it, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that testing it probably wouldn't affect Strider's rep because the folders are the ones a lot of people claim are problematic.

I have seen the Ka-Bar destructive test. I don't think wailing away with a sledge, wrench, pipe, or whatever, on any blade in a vise is illustrative of anything. Besides, knocking the paracord off of a Strider will prove somewhat difficult I suspect.

I am not saying to not destroy the knife, it is your money. However, abusing it to destruction and then claiming the warranty is abusing the company--no matter who it is or who runs it.

So stab it into a dead tree or a framework and hang from it or stand on it. Throw it. Use it as a fishing spear and not care if you strike rocks. Punch a hole in a 55 gallon can. Dig a hole to make a fire pit. Do whatever you might conceviably use a knife for. Just be legit.

Don't stick it in a vise and reef on it or pound it into breaking and then claim a new one because that would be dishonest no matter whose knife you did it to. Not only that, if the destruction is not in the least realistic, you will be a small part of getting makers to mount more restrictive warranty language for no real return on the trouble.

That said, try and honestly break an MT.

noss4,
Just some friendly advice, if something happens to the knife (and please use a folder) I would advise a PICTURE or two.
You know, just in case.

what a waste.

there are already tests done on striders, both fixed and folder, as well as a considerable number of people who attest to the quality of their knife as well as the warranty (myself included).

i'm not going to tell you how to spend your money or challenge your motives. but i think it's silly.

I have seen the Ka-Bar destructive test. I don't think wailing away with a sledge, wrench, pipe, or whatever, on any blade in a vise is illustrative of anything. Besides, knocking the paracord off of a Strider will prove somewhat difficult I suspect.

I am not saying to not destroy the knife, it is your money. However, abusing it to destruction and then claiming the warranty is abusing the company--no matter who it is or who runs it.

So stab it into a dead tree or a framework and hang from it or stand on it. Throw it. Use it as a fishing spear and not care if you strike rocks. Punch a hole in a 55 gallon can. Dig a hole to make a fire pit. Do whatever you might conceviably use a knife for. Just be legit.

Don't stick it in a vise and reef on it or pound it into breaking and then claim a new one because that would be dishonest no matter whose knife you did it to. Not only that, if the destruction is not in the least realistic, you will be a small part of getting makers to mount more restrictive warranty language for no real return on the trouble.

That said, try and honestly break an MT.

Okay: If I pond it into a tree and hang and punch holes into a 55 gallon drum and chop rocks in the field how is that any different then doing the same tests in the shop.

About the Strider Statement : I want to see if it's true I'm going to use the knife for whatever I want After all it's my money and I will do whatever I want to the knife. If that means putting the knife in the vice and bending it then that is what I'm going to do. and if I break it. I will see if Strider honers it. It will be up to them ?

Your missing the whole point. The point is to use the knife in the most extreme tests and see how it will hold up. I do this for fun. I will video it and post it for those that want to see it. If you Don't want to watch don't. The choice is yours ?

what a waste.

there are already tests done on striders, both fixed and folder, as well as a considerable number of people who attest to the quality of their knife as well as the warranty (myself included).

i'm not going to tell you how to spend your money or challenge your motives. but i think it's silly.

Now there will be one extra test out there.:D

I think you might be missing the point that others are trying to make, if you destroy it intentionally, like say, by breaking it in a vice, you are litterally screwing over the knifemaker and taking advantage of their warranty.

This being said, wouldnt it be more productive to do things with it you normally might have to do?
Aka, digging, carve some traps, cut up some pop cans, see how thick of a branch you can cut in just one swipe, sharpen it on a round rock, batton it through some knotted wood, stuff like that. true it is your knife, but if you want it to be a valid test of the knifes performance, you should do things you expect to do with it, because if you vice it and torque it to destruction you didnt prove much at all. and if your idea is to test the warranty credibility, intentionally destroying the knife is a test of the knifemakers patience,

but its your knife, do what you will, but if you drag it behind a car, cryofreeze it then smack it with a ball peen hammer...dont be surprised if your warranty isnt honored. That prooves absolutely nothing.

what a waste.

I agree with Midget.
Maybe it's just me but I just don't understand this little project of yours. If and when you break the knife, be sure and send a copy of the video to Strider when you ask for a warranty replacement. Despite what the warranty says, I think they would be entirely justified if they say "no way".

Obviously: Their must be some employees of STRIDER ON here.:D or simply
some Strider Owners that are afraid what will happen ? :mad:

With all this heat how can I say no to the test now ? !

I agree with Midget.
Maybe it's just me but I just don't understand this little project of yours. If and when you break the knife, be sure and send a copy of the video to Strider when you ask for a warranty replacement. Despite what the warranty says, I think they would be entirely justified if they say "no way".

I sure they already know what I'm going to do. I will hide nothing from STRIDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back