I love the Benchmade Anthem

I have too many knives -- almost three Spydiepacks' worth, actually -- so a lot of worthy knives just kind of sit there, as I walk by and admire them but not carry them. After all, I just like collecting the knives, mostly; I appreciate how this one looks a little different from that one, and I like customizing them through anodization or e-coating with ceramic. None of my knives are safe queens, though, except for one brand new backup Spyderco Advocate. (I am a big fan of the Advocate.)

Since I do tend to play favorites with my knives, usually my Benchmade Anthem sits in one of the Spydie packs; it doesn't get a lot of pocket time, but I have to say that every time I decide to take it out to cut open a package, I think, "Man, this knife is terrific; why don't I carry this thing more often?" The deployment is silky smooth, the ergos are reasonable, and the blade shape is super sexy. I'm neither crazy about the pattern cut into the scales nor the scale color, which may be why I usually leave the Anthem in the Spydiepack, but when the knife gets in the hand and so effortlessly deploys and retracts with that souped-up Axis lock, I get a little crush on that knife.

(Edit: As an aside, I like secondhand titanium Kizers, too (ones similar to the Ursa Minor in shape, primarily) because they provide an economical template to experiment with blade-modification via Dremel, as well as scale enhancements via grinder wheel with a wire brush, media tumbling, anodizing, and ceramic coating.)

Last edited:
The Anthem is one kickass knife. A high end TI integral that rolls with the best of them, and a perfect user for actual everyday carry. It’s definitely one of the knives I’ll never lose in the collection.

yJSXJat.jpg

Does yours has a perfect blade centering? Benchmade tends to have a spotty QC. It is also on my wishlist but man its rather a gamble.

That is a nice knife. I don’t own a CRK but am interested in one. Any idea how the anthem would compare to a CRK since they are in the same price range?

I don't know if it's perfect, but it's good enough for me. There is no scale rub. And I haven't messed with the pivot.
Does yours has a perfect blade centering? Benchmade tends to have a spotty QC. It is also on my wishlist but man its rather a gamble.

That is a nice knife. I don’t own a CRK but am interested in one. Any idea how the anthem would compare to a CRK since they are in the same price range?
I'll be a little controversial here and say that I don't really get the CRK hype. I think that the knives are hyped and overpriced. Yes, I realize that most people will disagree with me, and if they really like those knives, then they should enjoy them. This game is highly subjective.

Sorry, I hijacked your thread. I hope I don’t cause a crap storm to compare the two. I wasn’t even aware of this knife but man it looks nice. I may jump on one. Thanks!

Sorry, I hijacked your thread. I hope I don’t cause a crap storm to compare the two. I wasn’t even aware of this knife but man it looks nice. I may jump on one. Thanks!
What I've learned is that certain knives are fashionable at given moments. The Slysz Bowie is a classic example. It was ready to quietly go extinct, and Nick Shabazz single-handedly caused the "value" of those available to skyrocket, with people positively desperate to get one. The knife hadn't changed, but perception about it did. Knife influencers have a big role in what people think is a great knife. Spyderco also does a good job whipping people into a frenzy by making sprint runs of 23 pieces of a given knife, because, you know, none of the 42 existing variations of the PM2 aren't quite right for your cutting needs, but now that you can finally get it in CPM-S75, you can rest easy. Some knives are popular because of, well, inexplicable reasons. I owned a Slysz Bowie and I owned a CRK -- and I sold both, because I really just couldn't see the big deal in either. (I, too, was wowed by the Shabazz video that showed how the backspacer lined up perfectly with the scales, which also perfectly bisected the Spydie hole. When you hold it in your hand, you think, "OKKKK...So what?") Some knives aren't sought after because they're at a relatively accessible price point from a un-sexy company; the Kizer Ursa Minor comes to mind, a really nice knife that is well worth its moderate price. (There are probably various knives from Bestech that would qualify, too.) Coming back to the conversation at hand, the Anthem was always well thought of, but it just doesn't get a lot of attention; it isn't being discontinued, and it's not a new knife, so it's not popping up on people's radar.

image.jpeg It's a little heavy on account of the integral frame, but the new Axis lock solves all the Omega spring problems.image.jpeg

I too own and love the Anthem. Don't carry it much but is my favorite folder. It's a little larger than I like for everyday carry plus it's just too nice to risk messing up or loosing. Also own large and small CRK 21 ( blade size and shape of the large 21 is extremely similar) which I never carry. My number 1 pocket companion for the last 7 years has been the minigrip g10 & 20cv 80+% of the time. It's first alternate is the Bugout 19% of the time.

If could get one of the all gray models would pick one up again. Alas.
Didn't know they sold them in a color other than bronze. You can use MultiEtch or Whink (or probably even Flitz, with a little elbow grease) to strip the ano, and then use a rock tumbler with ceramic media to shine up the scales again (if needed, due to being dulled from the Multi-Etch or Whink).

I'll be a little controversial here and say that I don't really get the CRK hype. I think that the knives are hyped and overpriced. Yes, I realize that most people will disagree with me, and if they really like those knives, then they should enjoy them. This game is highly subjective.
I had always thought the something! CRK's hype' but that old saying is true, you really need to get one in hand to feel the quality and come pair with other prediction knifes, but I will say they don't have much of a figit factor! more of a hard use knife.;)

I'll tell ya straight up. I’ve owned 3 Anthems in total since it came out. My first production one was a little off. My second was dead perfect. The one I currently have is perfect, maybe a hair off on a bad day. The integral construction makes perfect centering really hard to get right. On framelock intervals you can cheat on the tolerances because you have the lockbar tension to help set the centering where you want it. With an axis lock it's much harder to get perfect. Not to excuse it, a knife at $400 plus should be damn near perfect, and in my experience, the Anthem hits the mark almost all the time, especially now that it's been in production for a while.

But, if you buy from a good dealer like DLT trading among others, they will check the centering for you. That's a good way to go, just to eliminate any uncertainty.

I'll tell ya straight up. I’ve owned 3 Anthems in total since it came out. My first production one was a little off. My second was dead perfect. The one I currently have is perfect, maybe a hair off on a bad day. The integral construction makes perfect centering really hard to get right. On framelock intervals you can cheat on the tolerances because you have the lockbar tension to help set the centering where you want it. With an axis lock it's much harder to get perfect. Not to excuse it, a knife at $400 plus should be damn near perfect, and in my experience, the Anthem hits the mark almost all the time, especially now that it's been in production for a while.

But, if you buy from a good dealer like DLT trading among others, they will check the centering for you. That's a good way to go, just to eliminate any uncertainty.
The centering on mine is perhaps a hair off, but it doesn't bother me. Clearly the deployment isn't affected, as the knife whips in and out effortlessly.

Didn't know they sold them in a color other than bronze. You can use MultiEtch or Whink (or probably even Flitz, with a little elbow grease) to strip the ano, and then use a rock tumbler with ceramic media to shine up the scales again (if needed, due to being dulled from the Multi-Etch or Whink).

yeah, they do have a special non anodized gray one. It is in stock and for sale on Benchmades webpage but price is high. $525. If could fine in stock at another site for regular price, and should be since not anodized, then I will pick one up. Otherwise, was not meant to be.

Back