I may have a prototype campanion. Looking for input.

I've got a campanion that I got as part of a trade. It has a tag that is marked proto. I know that doesn't amount to anything so no one needs go there. I had a close look at a normal one at smoky mountain knife works. The main difference I noticed is the grind is completely different. It has what I believe is a flat grind. Also the finish was also much thicker and more coarse than the example at smkw. I'm going to try to attach a few pics a bit later today. I've had this since before kabar started production of Becker so I don't think it could be a kabar.

BB6C957E-74D8-4D75-AF75-A59C6BE05D56.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Never seen one like that. Maybe Ethan can weigh in eventually.
One side looks like sabre grind, the other like flat. Odd duck indeed.

Oh wow....

This is gonna be good. Eyez callin' E now....

Moose(fictitiously)

Oh my.....

Camillus era blank...... Other than that.??..... WTF........ I am going to conjecture that someone got a blank out of the Camillus going outta business auction work in progress bin and had some strange ideas on grinds....... The scales are not likely to have come out of Camillus as they are a bit too crude for Them...... The finish looks like bed liner?..?...

Sorry to have not been of much help.....

Ethan

There ya have it from the Boss! Very interesting indeed! Looks like a grind to favor a lefty. A lot of chef knives are ground for letting the food fall to the right or left, but on a Blade like that, I dunno. Thanks for sharing!
Imma keep peekin in on this!

Looks like olean ny. Looks like it says Bk kabar campanion?

Here's a decent pic of a Camillus BK&T stamp.
c2d4af7a9617145b6d74ee0d75ddc161.jpg

EDIT: And a KA-BAR era etch:
aa7453b13f781cdc65a71ca650c6ebbd.jpg

You can tell it's a Cam Becker because it says the model's name instead of KA-BAR.

Cool find OP!

someone was trying to sell a bunch of OLDER blackjack models, that someone has embossed with prototype - sort of dry-inked on or something.

apparently not so much :D

It's pre camillus closing. I've had it that long. So it's not one of the blanks you could pick up.

Back