I need a new knife....again

Whenever I'm deciding on a new knife I like to get everyone opinions on the knives I'm looking at, as for right now I'm looking at three knives. I will be carrying the knife with me will I do surveying work all throughout my state, so it will be a user, I will also have to be in the office some days so I want it to nice for when I have to dress up.
Medford slim midi
Hinderer XM-18 3.5 in (slicer or swedged spear point)
Chris Reeves Umnumzaan
I'd really appreciate your opinion
Thank you!!!

Not familiar with Medford, if you want a flipper, then the Hinderer. If not, then the Umnumzaan.
They’re all good choices.

I say go CRK also -I think the hinderer will be a little to bulky for the office and am like the others dont know much about the medford.I have always thought the medfords were overpriced anyways and too thick and heavy.

Whenever I'm deciding on a new knife I like to get everyone opinions on the knives I'm looking at, as for right now I'm looking at three knives. I will be carrying the knife with me will I do surveying work all throughout my state, so it will be a user, I will also have to be in the office some days so I want it to nice for when I have to dress up.
Medford slim midi
Hinderer XM-18 3.5 in (slicer or swedged spear point)
Chris Reeves Umnumzaan
I'd really appreciate your opinion
Thank you!!!

Honestly of those 3 knives only the Umnumzaan is not going to look ridiculous in an office.

For real work (surveying) the Hinderer is more tied with the Zaan.

Medford if you need to lose some weight and want to carry a boat anchor around.

I agree. Get the Umnumzaan and a less expensive more gentlemanly knife.

I prefer, smaller, lightweight knives. My three lightest, most office appropriate knives:

zQYBlW9.jpg

Or, you could do a inlayed Sebenza and kill two birds with one stone...

I bought an Umnumzaan and liked it so much that I said I would recommend it without hesitation to anybody looking for a knife in that price and size range, so I hereby recommend it. :D

Medford if you need to lose some weight and want to carry a boat anchor around.
I'd agree about Medford knives in general, but the slim midi Marauder is actually a decent size and weight. Same blade length as the Umnumzaan and only an ounce more in weight - as far as Medfords go, that's not bad at all imo.

I'd go umnumzaan, one of my favorite knives. I've had the tanto version for almost 10 years and never hesitate to recommend it.

All really good knives. If weight is of a concern for the OP, the Medford would be the lightest at 4.20 oz., with the Hinderer coming in at 5.6 oz's, and the Umnumzaan at 5.0. Good luck with the work and the decision.

I've never handled any of those knives but of what's listed I'd go for the Umnumzaan if I were going to buy one. It looks like it would be smaller when folded and easier to carry, it seems like it would tear up the pockets less, looks like it has a good grind, and would still be strong enough for anything you throw at it in the field. If you run into any tasks that are potentially abusive I'd use the company's tools before I beat up my good knife anyway.

IMO the ‘Zaan is classy enough for slacks & such. It’s an amazing knife! Like b00n b00n , I’ll recommend it to anyone (with the caveat that a bit of thumb acclimatization is sometimes needed at the beginning).

Some if the new smaller Medfords have caught my eye, but I haven’t had one in hand yet.

As a related side note, I’ve used CR Customer Service twice. While not particularly speedy, at the end of each interaction I was so pleased that I wanted to run straight out and buy another!

IMO the ‘Zaan is classy enough for slacks & such. It’s an amazing knife! Like b00n b00n , I’ll recommend it to anyone (with the caveat that a bit of thumb acclimatization is sometimes needed at the beginning).

Some if the new smaller Medfords have caught my eye, but I haven’t had one in hand yet.

As a related side note, I’ve used CR Customer Service twice. While not particularly speedy, at the end of each interaction I was so pleased that I wanted to run straight out and buy another!

I like the Zaan so much that I am strongly considering a 21 as well, I am wondering if an Inlay one can be anodized as well so it would match the bronze 'Zaan.

Those are all very nice, but quite heavy and thick. Not ideal for an office environment imo. Since you are looking at higher end knives, how about a Mnandi?

Back