I need a new knife....again

IMO the ‘Zaan is classy enough for slacks & such. It’s an amazing knife! Like @b00n, I’ll recommend it to anyone (with the caveat that a bit of thumb acclimatization is sometimes needed at the beginning).
More for the OP - BD_01 BD_01 is right, the studs can be tricky. And annoying. I've bought 3 CRK's in the past couple weeks and a trick with the thumb stud is not to apply force directly down onto it, since this just kind pushes it into the lockbar. If you use the tip of your thumb between the stud and the scale, the knife becomes easy to open. But then it's kind of a thumb move onto the stud to finish opening, or kind of sweep it open with the tip of your thumb. Anyway, the 'Zaan is a little tricker than the Sebenza or Inkosi, IMO.

And I'm in the same boat as several others so far - I highly recommend it, it's a great knife.

Add to my last comment, the motion and “feel” of the Umnumzaan’s action are my favorite of any thumb stud knife (axis locks included).

The two I’ve had were nearly new and needed a week or two break in. I still remember my thumb aching! <Totally worth it!>. There’s lots of Umnumzaan threads on the CRK forum, in case you haven’t snooped there.

Lots of recommendations for the CRK, but I'm going to go against the grain and suggest the Hinderer XM-18 3.5" Gen 6 "Skinny" with slicer grind. The skinny is very similar to the ZT0562, but nicer IMO, and the platform offers all kinds of options to personalize. I especially appreciate the deep carry pocket clip options. Caveat is we don't know when the next round of Skinny slicers will be available. I'm hoping soon.

I've had several Hinderers and several Zaans. I've carried a Zaan for two yrs....a great choice.
I sold the Hinderers as quickly as I purchased them.

You can’t go wrong with either a CRK or Hinderer. I do carry my Hinderer Skinny a lot more often though. I wish you luck.
lTFsZge.jpg

DyEFLu0.jpg

At a show last week I got to handle a Slim Midi Marauder. I couldn't walk away from it and unexpectedly came home with my first Medford. It feels better in my hand and in my pocket than my Hinderer. It's different than any Medford I had looked at before and in my opinion would be an excellent choice.

A Xan is on my list but I am really impressed with my first Hinderer purchased a few months ago.

...surveying work all throughout my state...

If that would be in my state, it'd be a stainless fixed knife due to all the moisture & abuse it would see. Probably a couple of Moras, just in case I loose one on the job. This would free up $ for a nice gentleman's folder for the office.

Back