1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I need a new knife....again

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BLADEISGUT, Apr 11, 2019.

1. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
    I'd go with the Zaan you will not be disappointed!

2. jceckrosh

jceckrosh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 2016
    More for the OP - @4mer_FMF is right, the studs can be tricky. And annoying. I've bought 3 CRK's in the past couple weeks and a trick with the thumb stud is not to apply force directly down onto it, since this just kind pushes it into the lockbar. If you use the tip of your thumb between the stud and the scale, the knife becomes easy to open. But then it's kind of a thumb move onto the stud to finish opening, or kind of sweep it open with the tip of your thumb. Anyway, the 'Zaan is a little tricker than the Sebenza or Inkosi, IMO.

And I'm in the same boat as several others so far - I highly recommend it, it's a great knife.

3. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Add to my last comment, the motion and “feel” of the Umnumzaan’s action are my favorite of any thumb stud knife (axis locks included).

The two I’ve had were nearly new and needed a week or two break in. I still remember my thumb aching! <Totally worth it!>. There’s lots of Umnumzaan threads on the CRK forum, in case you haven’t snooped there.

4. Mako109

Mako109

Dec 17, 2008
    Lots of recommendations for the CRK, but I'm going to go against the grain and suggest the Hinderer XM-18 3.5" Gen 6 "Skinny" with slicer grind. The skinny is very similar to the ZT0562, but nicer IMO, and the platform offers all kinds of options to personalize. I especially appreciate the deep carry pocket clip options. Caveat is we don't know when the next round of Skinny slicers will be available. I'm hoping soon.

Murphjd25 likes this.
  5. Organic556

Organic556 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Go with the CRK for sure.

6. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I've had several Hinderers and several Zaans. I've carried a Zaan for two yrs....a great choice.
    I sold the Hinderers as quickly as I purchased them.

7. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    You can’t go wrong with either a CRK or Hinderer. I do carry my Hinderer Skinny a lot more often though. I wish you luck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    At a show last week I got to handle a Slim Midi Marauder. I couldn't walk away from it and unexpectedly came home with my first Medford. It feels better in my hand and in my pocket than my Hinderer. It's different than any Medford I had looked at before and in my opinion would be an excellent choice.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  9. JBoone

JBoone

Dec 30, 2012
    A Xan is on my list but I am really impressed with my first Hinderer purchased a few months ago.

10. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    If that would be in my state, it'd be a stainless fixed knife due to all the moisture & abuse it would see. Probably a couple of Moras, just in case I loose one on the job. This would free up $ for a nice gentleman's folder for the office.