I need help - Survival Knife

Although harder to find and at a higher cost but the come up on the exchange fairly often ... but my first choice for that "absolutely only one knife" ... would be the Carothers HDFK ... big enough to handle most any task yet designed so well it does finer work incrediably well ...

LT Wright Outback or GNS in 3V or AEB-L if you want stainless ... are great all around knives and not bad price wise for a knife to do everything ...

Bradford Guardian 4.5 ... in 3V another really good all around knife and extremely well built ...

And if you want a less expensive but very capable knife the Becker BK16 is hard to beat for the price ... it may even allow you to buy the BK16 and a BK9 for chopping/batoning or larger jobs ...

and all of those have great customer service ...

Thanks!
Alright, and between LT Wright Outback, GNS in 3V, AEB-L, and Bradford Guardian 4.5, which one would you pick? About the aurora, I heard that the tip is not that strong actually, not easily broken but still.. As I am looking for, like you said, a "only one knife", I am really looking for one that won't let me down in any situation. I would really love to have a Carothers but it seems quite difficult.. Please let me know, I am looking forward to your answer, Sir.

Of those two, the bark river, hands down. The Tops BOB is pretty thick and I don't think the aurora will be giving up enough in toughness to worry about.

I would choose a different knife myself for survival but those are good bushcrafting options. The big difference is that surivival knives, generally, seem to me like a 1-knife option and thus it needs to have a silly level of toughness for most uses. For bushcraft, where several tools are likely to be taken, getting a rough use item like a axe, hatchet, or big knife (BK9 as a single, common example) is likely and thus the main woods knife should have a very different blend of properties, IMO.

Of those two, the bark river, hands down. The Tops BOB is pretty thick and I don't think the aurora will be giving up enough in toughness to worry about.

I would choose a different knife myself for survival but those are good bushcrafting options. The big difference is that surivival knives, generally, seem to me like a 1-knife option and thus it needs to have a silly level of toughness for most uses. For bushcraft, where several tools are likely to be taken, getting a rough use item like a axe, hatchet, or big knife (BK9 as a single, common example) is likely and thus the main woods knife should have a very different blend of properties, IMO.

Well I don't know because like I said it seems that the tip of the aurora isn't that tough.. So which one would you recommend me as a survival knife, please?

Between the two your originally proposed- I think the steel is the one the biggest differences- With 3V it will be tougher, hold an edge a good deal longer, but also take a good deal longer to sharpen, 1095 will be very easy to sharpen, but also dull quicker. They're both not stainless, but 3V will resist staining a bit more. A couple other good Options-

BRK Bravo 1 LT (definitely go with the thinner stock of the LT)
Cold Steel Master Hunter - 3V (3V for cheap, nice FFG too)
ESEE RC-4 (Classic in 1095 and lots of color/handle/sheath options)
Fallkniven F1 (Classic Stainless, comfortable handle)

TOP PICK: Bradford Knives Guardian 4 or 4.5 (I have the Guardian 4 and its my current favorite in this category- you can get 3V if you value toughness, or M390 if you value Stainlessness and edge holding)

I start to look at the bradford 4.5 since lots of people are talking about it.. Sounds very nice, is it tough, the tip, the steel, for survival purpose etc..? And I don't know much about these stuffs - because you need to choose on their website - what is the best for : blade grind, blade finish, and fastener type, please?
https://bradfordknives.com/guardian-45/431-guardian-45-cpm3v.html

And what do you thik about the fallkniven s1 Pro?

Last edited:
Well I don't know because like I said it seems that the tip of the aurora isn't that tough.. So which one would you recommend me as a survival knife, please?

Of those two? Still the aurora.

I am fairly partial to the esee 6HM as I prefer more neutral handles for chest lever grip. A BK7 or BK9 would be a great option, depending on your preferred blade length.

Really though, for packability, the esee 5 and BK2 are probably the most survivally survival knives I can think of. Almost stupid thick so they're amazingly durable, short for ease of packing, and the thickness adds enough heft that they can still do some basic chopping. Of those two, I would go esee if the money allows and the BK2 for the budget option. Both are great, really getting one in hand is the best thing to do since their handles are very different. I think esee's stock sheaths are a lot better but I think the BK2 has several different sheath options as stock now. They're not my type of knife, so something thinner like an esee 6, swamp rat ratweiler (thin cut), or BK7 are more up my alley. Add in a small folder like a trapper pattern and you have a lot of cutting edges to work with.

Of those two? Still the aurora.

I am fairly partial to the esee 6HM as I prefer more neutral handles for chest lever grip. A BK7 or BK9 would be a great option, depending on your preferred blade length.

Really though, for packability, the esee 5 and BK2 are probably the most survivally survival knives I can think of. Almost stupid thick so they're amazingly durable, short for ease of packing, and the thickness adds enough heft that they can still do some basic chopping. Of those two, I would go esee if the money allows and the BK2 for the budget option. Both are great, really getting one in hand is the best thing to do since their handles are very different. I think esee's stock sheaths are a lot better but I think the BK2 has several different sheath options as stock now. They're not my type of knife, so something thinner like an esee 6, swamp rat ratweiler (thin cut), or BK7 are more up my alley. Add in a small folder like a trapper pattern and you have a lot of cutting edges to work with.

Thank you Sir, I take a note on everything you said. I am currently looking at the bradford guardian 4.5, have you heard about this one? And there is also the fallkniven S1 Pro?

Last edited:
The outback probably has a stronger tip and well rounded blade shape but it depends what you like or want in the knife ... the Outback is more a spearpoint the GNS a bit longer blade but thinner tip .... but it has never failed me for anything ... the both are very comfortable ... Outback's handle may get a slight nod in my hand (but everyone's hands are different) ... as far as steels if you plan on beating on the knife 3V would be the way to go ... but AEB-L is pretty nice and stainless ... a GNS on top an Outback on bottom ...
2019-05-03 09.50.26.jpg

The Bradford 4.5 you can get in Sabre or Full Flat grind I prefer the Full Flat ... it has a bit longer handle and fits my hand great (I have slight above average hand size ... again everyone's hands are different) ... you can get the leather sheath it comes with or a kydex from Bradford ... and I got a belt loop extension from Sagewood gear for my Bradford with kydex ... a Bradford 4.5 ...
2019-05-03 09.53.53.jpg

If you really want bombproof the Carothers are worth it ... but the combo of a Becker BK16 and a BK9 is hard to beat ... especially for the price and how much you get for that price ... and gives you two tools to fill different roles.

You will always give up something if you go with a "one knife do it all" setup ... and in a survial situation the old saying two is one and one is none ... holds very true.

The Fallkinevin is good stuff, I think the a1 is a better option for survival use. The S1 woukd be a great option as well, mostly just a little smaller and less suited to wood processing tasks.

I've heard great things about Bradford knives but mostly from the edc and lightweight use side and I'm not sure if their durabilty is intended for survival use. But, if you know the limits of the blade, what it can and can't do, that's nearly as valuable as a good knife itself as it gives you an idea of what abuse is for that particular knife.

Well.. I am more and more interested with the Carothers.. You guys always mention it as the best. I would love the UFK/FK2, does someone know how I could get one? I know the crafter sell some via forums but I live in France and don't have the same hour than you, it's 7pm right now for me. Is there another way to have one, can somebody help me for that because I am quite lost ..!

I thank all of you for your very precious advices!

Another really solid suggestion they nebtioned too ... The Fallkinevin ... hope you find the one that fits your needs and what you like!

Well.. I am more and more interested with the Carothers.. You guys always mention it as the best. I would love the UFK/FK2, does someone know how I could get one? I know the crafter sell some via forums but I live in France and don't have the same hour than you, it's 7pm right now for me. Is there another way to have one, can somebody help me for that because I am quite lost ..!

I thank all of you for your very precious advices!

Here's one way.
https://bladeforums.com/threads/cpk-hdfk.1659702/

Thank you, do you know when will be the next sale for FK2? I am afraid to arrive too late and I saw that we need to give hime all the specs we want ; even if I am good at english, some technical terms about knives are unfortunately unknown to me..

He usually posts in the maker's market on the forum when he has something, but posting on his wall is probably the best option as Nathan would know best. He just had a sale on Utility Field knives last weekend and part of that sale of 60 knives mentioned not doing more for a little while. At the bottom it mentions that in 2 weeks he'll have the medium chopper coming up next so I suppose that's how he announces what's coming up. I know it says they're all sold but maybe shoot him a message and see if you can do a waiting list or something in case someone backs out on one.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sold-big-slow-sale-cpk-utility-field-knife-delta-3v.1658446/

As a side note, the swamp rat ratmandu is pretty close to the above knife and can be had regularly from swamp rat knives or busse. It's my 2nd favorite 5" +/- a little behind an LT Wright Mark II. The ratmandu will be the sturdier design of the two, but I like slicier knives and the LT fits my uses better. I no longer have a ratmandu as I wanted to get matching scales to my ratweiler and I simply haven't re-ordered one since I know it won't really see a ton of use as I'm pretty over-supplied on the mid-sized fixed blades.

Side note: if you're near one of the forum members, or there's a gun and knife show in your area, that's usually a good way to get your hands on some knives. If you're in the SE Michigan area I would be happy to let you see and try out a few knives I have to see what you like and don't like so you can be better educated on the purchase.

Bar_D_Lee_nN said:
Is there another way to have one, can somebody help me for that because I am quite lost ..!
You've been given links to The Next Sale and the CPK- Buy, Sell, &Trade threads; and a person with the knives reached out to you, but you didn't respond. With all respect, if you can't even choose green vs black micarta by yourself (after you've seen pictures of both colors), I'm not sure there is much more we can do for you.
I know that sounds harsh - it really isn't intended to be - but, short of not pointing out the obvious, I wasn't able to come up with a kinder, gentler way.
A friend of mine did a through-hike of the Appalachian Trail...the only knife he brought was a Fallkniven F1. Maybe it wasn't true "survival" circumstances; but it worked for him. The reality is that any of the knives mentioned would work for you if you don't abuse it...if, for survival, abusing it is necessary, be careful & smart about what you do.
The unfortunate truth is that, when it comes right down to it, we can point you towards lots of knives that we like...but we can't tell you what knife you want to use. The only way (until you've learned by experience) to find out what knife feels good in your hand, and performs to your expectations, is to try them. I have a bunch of knives that I found didn't satisfy me, despite the rave reviews I read. Many others have gone through a bunch of knives in the same process. I very much understand wanting to get as much information & advice as possible, so you can spend your money wisely... and I truly hope you are lucky enough to nail it the first time. :thumbsup:

*Oh, btw, go with the black canvas micarta. Green canvas looks great when new...but it tends to turn brownish with use.

Last edited:
He usually posts in the maker's market on the forum when he has something, but posting on his wall is probably the best option as Nathan would know best. He just had a sale on Utility Field knives last weekend and part of that sale of 60 knives mentioned not doing more for a little while. At the bottom it mentions that in 2 weeks he'll have the medium chopper coming up next so I suppose that's how he announces what's coming up. I know it says they're all sold but maybe shoot him a message and see if you can do a waiting list or something in case someone backs out on one.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sold-big-slow-sale-cpk-utility-field-knife-delta-3v.1658446/

As a side note, the swamp rat ratmandu is pretty close to the above knife and can be had regularly from swamp rat knives or busse. It's my 2nd favorite 5" +/- a little behind an LT Wright Mark II. The ratmandu will be the sturdier design of the two, but I like slicier knives and the LT fits my uses better. I no longer have a ratmandu as I wanted to get matching scales to my ratweiler and I simply haven't re-ordered one since I know it won't really see a ton of use as I'm pretty over-supplied on the mid-sized fixed blades.

Side note: if you're near one of the forum members, or there's a gun and knife show in your area, that's usually a good way to get your hands on some knives. If you're in the SE Michigan area I would be happy to let you see and try out a few knives I have to see what you like and don't like so you can be better educated on the purchase.

Thanks a lot for all this.

First, I think that I will send a message to the crafter but I saw no place to leave a private message, can we only write on the profile page for this?
Then, I checked the two other knives you recommend and they both also seem pretty good!
And that is very kind of you to let me try out your knives but I don't even live in the United States, I am from France, that's why it is complicated for me to, first, make me understand well, and then, to understand how all these FK2 knives sells work :)

You've been given links to The Next Sale and the CPK- Buy, Sell, &Trade threads; and a person with the knives reached out to you, but you didn't respond. With all respect, if you can't even choose green vs black micarta by yourself (after you've seen pictures of both colors), I'm not sure there is much more we can do for you.
I know that sounds harsh - it really isn't intended to be - but, short of not pointing out the obvious, I wasn't able to come up with a kinder, gentler way.
A friend of mine did a through-hike of the Appalachian Trail...the only knife he brought was a Fallkniven F1. Maybe it wasn't true "survival" circumstances; but it worked for him. The reality is that any of the knives mentioned would work for you if you don't abuse it...if, for survival, abusing it is necessary, be careful & smart about what you do.
The unfortunate truth is that, when it comes right down to it, we can point you towards lots of knives that we like...but we can't tell you what knife you want to use. The only way (until you've learned by experience) to find out what knife feels good in your hand, and performs to your expectations, is to try them. I have a bunch of knives that I found didn't satisfy me, despite the rave reviews I read. Many others have gone through a bunch of knives in the same process. I very much understand wanting to get as much information & advice as possible, so you can spend your money wisely... and I truly hope you are lucky enough to nail it the first time. :thumbsup:

*Oh, btw, go with the black canvas micarta. Green canvas looks great when new...but it tends to turn brownish with use.

You're absolutely right about the colors, actually I was expecting someone to tell me about how they look with use and you just did it so thank you, black it will be. I know how this sounds, believe me, but I am very perfectionist when I look for something.. No offense taken, Sir.
You said that a person with the CPK FK2 reached out to me and that I didn't respond?? Where? If I didn't, that's because I truely missed him so please show me, that's exactly what I am looking for right now.
I know that the best way to choose a knife is to use it but there are too many I have my eyes on and I try to choose one keeping also in mind my personal experiences, and also your advices. I owned a few and now I know what I want. Like you said, I need to spend my money wisely and can't afford two, even just to send one back after having tried them, right now I can't :)

Thanks a lot for all this.

First, I think that I will send a message to the crafter but I saw no place to leave a private message, can we only write on the profile page for this?
Then, I checked the two other knives you recommend and they both also seem pretty good!
And that is very kind of you to let me try out your knives but I don't even live in the United States, I am from France, that's why it is complicated for me to, first, make me understand well, and then, to understand how all these FK2 knives sells work :)

You have to be a paid member to send a private message so you can only leave a message on their profile. I think that can be turned off but usually there's at least an email address in the profile area for the vendors and makers of the forum.

Sorry, I forgot you mentioned you were in France. There are some really good makers on the forum over in Europe that could make you something cool. If you like leather handles for a bit of an authentic looks, @wajgy makes some killer stuff with leather running similar prices to the CPK stuff, but shipping should be a lot better. I think he does 80CRV2 which is what I would go with for a survival knife, but he may have other stuff. I have on in vandadis 4 extra which has good edge retention but still pretty tough stuff, but maybe not quite up to survival knife.

His tank series should be right up your alley I think.

Here's a custom design we worked out.
M0dvDDtl.jpg

TfKpWg6l.jpg

And this is just one good maker from the area. I have a puukko and thin camp kitchen/kitchen knife from guys in Eastern Europe as well. I think Bulgaria, Slovakia, and Russia are where I got these. I know there's another guy in Portugal doing cool things, but I can't remember which maker it was. My point being, there's some cool stuff from the European makers that may be easier to get a hold of and then you can get something special still too.

Last edited:

B Bar_D_Lee_nN
Some grand advise from hhmoore here, try some stuff out if you haven't yet. Based on the prices of stuff you're looking at, I'm assuming you've tried a few things already but if you haven't, get 5-10 cheap knives first, then get the nice keeper. Or go middle of the road (in price) with something like the BK2.

Good luck with the search.

Back