I need serious help (please)

Alright guys, I'm sorry for being such a noob but I need serious help picking a new EDC. I know that I want a Benchmade, I just need help picking the model.

These are the one's that I like:

Benchmade Mini-Presidio, Black Aluminum Handle, Plain Edge
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7375

Benchmade Sequel, Aluminum w/G10 Inlay Handle, Plain Edge
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6211

Benchmade Model 710D2 Axis Lock, Plain Edge
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7582

Benchmade Griptilian, Modified Drop Point, Plain Edge
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1546

Now, what one of these is the overall best? What are the pros and cons of each?

Again sorry for being such a noob, and thanks.

Of those I would take the 710. If size is not a factor then it is the best choice. GOOD LUCK! Kevin:thumbup:

Of those I would take the 710. If size is not a factor then it is the best choice. GOOD LUCK! Kevin:thumbup:

Well I'm just looking for an EDC pocket knife, are you saying it's going to be too big? (I won't be able to hold any of these knives in person before I buy.)

Also, I have some old fixed blade hunting knife I found and measured and the blade itself is just about 4", and I think it fits perfect in my pocket in it's sheath.

No it is not to big. Just bigger than the others that you have listed. The 710 gets alot of very high marks from a lot of people. I like a little bigger knife in most cases. Kevin:)

I have had a 710, and it was a great knife, it is 3.9in. blade, but slim, and sleek so it seems much smaller, but it is the biggest knife you mentioned, about 8.5oal

Hey, weren't you the guy who decided on the Presidio line? What happened there?

Also, do you want me to do the sized pictures for the 4 knives again? It might tell you if the 710 can be carried, for you.

i have fairly large hands, so for me the 710 feels good in the hand but is a bit too large for edc tasks. i do have the 707 and really like that one. having large hands it feels a tad small, nothing it can't handle. same goes for my 556.
lately i've been carrying my 943. more comfortable than 707, not as large as 710. give the 943 a look.
good luck

Znode,

If you have that comparison picture - I'd love to see it...

Been trying to decide between the 707 Sequel, 710, and 943, 960.

Pholder, how about a little more detail on how your Three benchmades differ? What can I say you have good taste, thus I have to pick your brain... haha.

Everyone is loving these Axis Benchmades.

This wont make your decision any easier, but you cant go wrong with any of those! Ive gotten over a dozen Benchmades over the years and they all have been very well made folders. Event a "gent's" knife like the 440 is relatively tough.

Benchmade comparisons:
benchmadecompare.jpg

High-resolution printable version, scaled to paper:
PDF Version

To print:
In the File->Print dialogue, there's a dropdown that says "Page Scaling". It's usually on "Shrink to" or "Fit to Printable Area". Change it to "None". This is necessary, or the automatic scaling will shrink the image!

Print it out so you can swing around a cardboard version and know what the sizing feels like. Or if you're lazy, change the zoom% in Acrobat Reader until the page width matches that of paper, so that screen size == real size. (IMO, the 710 is waaaay too big for EDC. But that might be because Californian sheeple are a lot more twitchy.)

Hope this helps.

Errata:

The 525 and 960 are about 1/8 of an inch shorter than they should be (when printed).

Znode,

You are amazingly awesome. "Swing around a cardboard version" hahaha. I actually just use my ruler (grab approx. appropriate) and swing it around - but you're taking it to the max.

Thanks again for the comparison photo.

Do you own all of them? (if so, could you give a 707,943, 960 versus review?)

Check out the 940 also, its a very popular knife in the socal shop, on of the favorite benchmades at Plaza cutlery, I love mine, the 710 is a wonderful knife, but I used to regard my m16-13 knives as large and this thing shrinks them a bit.
But it's slim and rides the pocket nicely.

Sorry about them being out of the 710 I think I ordered the last one. :p

I'd echo what davmgt stated, you will not go wrong with any of the knives you listed. That said, I'll give you my take:) I have owned'carried all of these, except for the 525. The 710 is a great knife, but tends towards the larger side (3.9 inch blade)- something to consider if sheeple or state regulations are an issue. The 707 is a great all around edc, very slim and light but very strong and capable; think of it as an aluminum scaled slim-line version of the mini-grip. All of the grips are great values, some people have issues with the thickness of the scales on the full sized models. Can't speak personally to the 525, but it has a rep for being a very tough knife. Any of the knives with aluminum scales are going to get dinged up and show wear, I don't see that as an issue but some do. Of these knives, for edc purposes I'd lean towards the 707D2

I would strongly recommend considering the 943 mentioned and pictured above. I traded for an s30v version of this knife a few months ago and it is a great knife for edc- one of my favorites. Very smooth, great looks, carries like a dream. You would not be disappointed.

As with all choices, you have to make it- have fun deciding :)

Griptilian. Most knife for the buck.

+1

I have the Griptillian and the 710HS, and the 710 is just a little big for EDC in my mind. When I carry that, I always get strong reactions from the sheeple.

The Grip feels almost as good in the hand, has the cool benchmade lock, and has never gotten me a "man, why are you carrying a sword around" comment.

Actually, I have the Doug Ritter M2 Griptillian, and while I love it I think I like the factory blade style a little better.

Just my $.02.

Hey, weren't you the guy who decided on the Presidio line? What happened there?

Also, do you want me to do the sized pictures for the 4 knives again? It might tell you if the 710 can be carried, for you.

Yeah that's me, and I was set on the Presidio until someone told me how horrible the aluminum handle was. Are they right?

Back