I see very little mention

I think that being light duty can be said for all multitools, even the heavier duty ones. As much as I love them, I still wouldn't trust my Leathermans and Swisstools to do the work of a dedicated screw driver, chisel, pry bar, etc. They don't replace the tool box. They just give you convenience when a complete tool box isn't really needed or isn't available. Its a game of trade offs. Robustness and functionality vs compactness and portability.

Last edited:
Of the Gerber multitools I’ve used, two were kinda mid sized and didn’t last long. I don’t remember the model as they weren’t worth remembering. I’ve had two Gerber Dimes and for a small tool they were decent but the knife blades were crap. The first one collapsed when I clamped down hard but it was my fault for trying with that much force . The second one is just as useful for a small light duty tool that’s easy carry. Other than that I haven’t had much desire for their line of gear.

I broke an old Gerber mt and its replacement, got a bucktool. It pinched me a lot. My wife gave me a Leatherman skeletool for an anniversary several years ago so I put the Buck away. Used it most days since at work. Even the bits arent worn out and I use them often. I sometimes wish it had more tools but I love how light it is.

Actually I did bend the clip but I bent it back. No hate for Gerber here but I havent broken this Leatherman yet!

I had a Gerber Bear Grylls Pocket Tool, which wasn't that bad. However the blade steel was cheap and a little crooked. I liked the inline Philips screwdriver.

Back