I think it's time : Another "who the heck are ya post.

Hello!

My name is Jonathan Wolff. I started making knives earlier this summer, it's been a great learning experience and it has kept me busy and relaxes me after some tough days at work. I've lived in Coquitlam BC for all 20 years of my life, in the same house. From the earliest I can remember I would work in the garage with my dad on any number of woodworking projects... probably 95% of our furniture was built by him or by both of us. There is nothing more fun and relaxing to me than working out there with him and tinkering on our projects. Making this adjustment from working with wood to working with steel has been somewhat of a roller coaster... but I'm confident I can only get better at it from here on out.

For the last 3 years I have been an engineering student at the University of British Columbia. After trying out both the electrical and civil disciplines I decided a change was in order... this fall I start a 4 year Bachelor of Architecture at BCIT. It will be an intense ride the next few years, and it will definitely limit my time in the shop, but it will all be worth it!

Hello,

My name is Brian Ayres. I'm a plumber in Portland Oregon. I moved here 21 years ago from Idaho and love it here.
I have been carrying a knife since I was 5 or 6. Only in the last year did I realize knife making was something anyone could do. For those of you who know the reference I thought it was an "arcane" art ;) , not easily mastered unless you had a full machine shop. The knowledge here opened my eyes to the possibilities and I've since started assembling my own shop.
I have only partially finished 3 knives due working 60+ hours a week and a recent move. But, I'll get there. In the meanwhile I have assembled a GIB with a 1.5Hp motor and VFD, have an anvil, a couple forge builds in the works and 32' of 1080 ready for transformation....
Just a couple of weeks ago, my boss gave me an old job shack trailer. It's 8'x16' and 8' high inside. It's completely wired with lighting and outlets and a bench. Right now I'm starting to remodel it. I installed drawers and and am beefing up the bench. I'm also adding a dedicated circuit for the belt grinder, and my disc grinder that's on order along with a new sub panel.... .:D
I'm spending a lot of time assembling the right tools because I truly want to make the best knives I can right from the start. Assembling just the knowledge alone is almost a full time job.
I'm beyond thankful for all the info freely shared here.

I've been 'round here for several years now, but I don't think I ever offered a "formal" intro. So, here's my offering:

My name is Pete McKinley(Big Blue17 is a reference to one of my canoes). I am American married to a Canadian and now live in Louisbourg, Nova Scotia which is situated on the rugged Atlantic coast of the island. I retired after 25+ years as a chef and now lead a much less hectic life while raising our 3 1/2 yr old daughter. Over the years I've spent a great deal of time hiking, camping and canoeing. These days my wife and I spend much of our free time paddling the waters of the Maritimes with occasional expeditions to more ambitious destinations. We both practice and teach a style of canoeing known as "Classic Canadian Solo" or "Omering"(Google is your friend).

I've been making knives for about 6 years. I'm not a pro. Its a hobby, but people seem to like what I do and they keep requesting my work. I don't have a web site and I don't advertise, but I stay busy enough. So, I guess this has turned into some sort of cottage industry for my retirement. I'm inspired by the work of many people on this forum, but especially Magnus Axelson, Scott Roush, Bruce Bump, and most certainly Rick Marchand. I should also give kudos to Stacy Apelt who's generous assistance has meant the world to me.... thank you.

Last edited:
My name is Matthew Helm. I grew up in the country in West Texas working on the place with my Dad and out on the job with him all summer and one day a week during the school year. He brought me up with an appreciation for quality knives, firearms, vehicles, and craftsmanship. I still work with him today, at my "day job" as an elevator technician. I managed to horn-swaggle a nice local girl into marrying me about 9 years ago, and we've since had 6 kids....so far! :) We educate our kids at home, and are happy to be Texan Americans! ;) After finding Bladeforums, and Andy Roy's knives in particular, I began to realize that making my own knives was a goal that I wanted to pursue. With timely advice from the kind folks here, I put together a collection of good tools and got after it. I've been ecstatic with the results, and each completed knife teaches me more about what I don't yet know. With the craftsmen on here to provide endless challenge and encouragement, I look forward to improving my abilities, and giving back to the other newbies like me!

Y'all can call me whatever you want. I expect I'll know if someone is referring to me.

I've preferred working and being outdoors all my life, and have probably done just about everything I can think of in that arena. I take my work very seriously, to the point as close to perfection as I am able, so I'm very good at many things- jack of all trades, master of several, I guess. I don't take anything else very seriously, so I have quite a bit of time to be a cut-up. I have a very good, if somewhat dry, sense of humor.

Of course, I was raised with guns, knives, and motorcycles as everyday companions. I started getting serious about knives several years ago, which lead to an obsession, which has lead me to making a living sharpening several things professionally. That wasn't good enough.

I spent a great deal of tuition money learning how to make knives from one of the best in the business. I still have a long way to go to achieve the level of competence that will satisfy me, but I'm having a heck of a lot of fun. I have had the very fine pleasure of meeting some of the best men in their respective, knife related fields, and becoming friends with several.

I expect that answers the vast majority of questions that you boys are interested in.

Hi to All.
I'm a maker of liner locking folders in stylings I preffer. I don't do this as a means to earn a living but to receive the enjoyment it gives me. As well I enjoy helping, if I can, people to advance their skills in knifemaking.
I'm 77 years old and have had the same wife for almost 55 of those years.
I have just moved and am without a shop for a few months to come.
I was overwhelmed when I finally got a computer and found this web site where I've only been a member for a few years.
I believe it's not how a knife is made but how good it is when finished that says it all. Frank

This is the first time I have seen this thread, great idea Bruce. and Mike you posted back in '07 (you have been at this a while :D)

I am a new maker my name is Ryan Weeks I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and have one wife one ex-wife (Does that count as two wifes?) 3 amazing children (14, 12, 8) that keep me on my toes. I have always been a Knife collector, the knives I own tell a story of where I have been in my travels.

I am in the real estate business, part time fire fighter, SCUBA instructor and have a serious case of Hobby ADD. I have an underwater photography company, that has moved onto the land since my money got diverted to making knives.

I joined BladeForums in July 2007 (Lurked for a while before that) and almost immediately started dabbling in knife making. A few helpful makers here graciously pointed me in the right direction when I couldn't find the info i needed. Luckily I live in an area of the US that has some amazing makers that have also been very helpful to my slow progression.

Hi All. I was looking though the newbie stickies and found this thread. I thought I'd say Hi since I've been lurking for years.

My name is Aaron Brown, I live in Washington, DC with my wife of 16 years and my daughter. I had a short run as a jeweler/artist years ago, which ended abruptly with the theft of most of my hand tools at a show 15 years ago. By that point I had learned that the only part of being in the craft and art business that I like is the making. So I fell back on my other hobby as a career, Computers, and just did a lot of tinkering in my generic shop.

I have always liked knives and blades as tools, art, history, and even religion and philosophy (the pastor of my church wore a Sgian Dubh to church every Sunday). I started "making knives" a few years ago because of losing a bet, buying a specific $40 knife that could outperform my friends $150 knives. I made a very poor choice, and took it to my HF 1x2 reground, reshaped, rehandled, re-rehandled, and then started learning everything I could from here, knifeforums and british blade forum, and following every link posted.

I read a post here recently that made the distinction between "making a knife" and "being a knifemaker", and I think I made the transition to knifemaker, and working on the skills to back that up. I have assembled more knives than I will ever need in my life, but each one I make inspires me to go further. I successfully heat treated two blades the other night, using the tests, pages of instructions, hints and tips that I have read over the years, a 2-brick forge and a lot of tempilstiks. I'm not quite as proud as when my daughter was born, but real damn close.

I'm not great participating in forums (3 posts in 4-5 years proves that), but I'm trying to make an effort to participate, to give back or point to where I'm actively learning.

Last but not least, thanks to all you who have helped with the best educational experience I have every had, from newbies to masters.

Hey,
My name is David I live in NE Florida and I am an addict. I started blacksmithing about 6 months ago and have the bug for sure. I tried making hooks and such and although fun I just want to make knives. I currently have a butt load of leaf springs and started making knives from them ( I am assuming they are 5160). I am in the process of getting some 1084 to try. I will say the 2 I have made to this point seem to be quenched right , sharpen and hold an edge well and didn't crack during quench so I am stoked. I enjoy looking in the forums at everyones work and hope to get good at forge welding to get some cool pattern knife blades. I appreciate all the knowledge and expertise the site offers (without the hammering everyones ideas etc.. seen on other sites).

thanks
David

Greetings, all, my name is Brian Moody. I just turned 39, have 3 kids and a wonderful woman, live just out side of Seattle, Black Belt in Chinese Kenpo, Brown Belt in American Kenpo, love blades, love knives, love forging! Forged my first knives and swords while living on a ranch in Western Montana back in 86-88 out of leaf springs and drive lines. After holding a Jimmy Fikes knife, I got very interested and currently focus on hamons but with a twist; I find it very unlikely that some one will buy a $900 Lamey or a $3200 Hanson and put it through heavy use. Not that anything is wrong with them, in fact they are among my favorite makers! So I make knives with hamons and home made mycarta to be used on a regular basis.

The thing that really turns me on about making knives is the idea that in 200 years, some one could be doing campsite chores or dressing a trophy elk with a knife that I made! Even better if he got it from his great grandpa! I also make fighters so a U.S. Marine protecting our rights as Americans in a foreign country 200 years from now while carrying a Circle A Blade....that's bomb!

Cool thread. My name is Chris Bowden. I am 37 with four great kids and a beautiful wife. I have been into knives for a long time and have always wanted to make them. I am an avid outdoorsman and have always loved hitting the trails when I get a chance. I have been making since last March and with the help of Bill Akers have finally started my passion. I purchased a few knives from Bill last year and expressed my interest in making with him. He was kind enough to invite me up to his shop in March so I made the five hour drive and the rest is history! I am still new and learn something new with each knife. My style is working knives since that is what I have always used. If anyone is around the Knoxville TN area give me a shout, I would love to shoot the crap!
Here is the family
DSCF3904.jpg

199174_1828078656271_1069447468_32099622_3130452_n.jpg

P1010069.jpg

Hi, I'm Dale Shrawder. I'm a new (5) knifemaker but an experienced (35+ yrs) steel/iron and wood worker. My current project is a belt grinder based on designs that I've seen through sites like BladeForums. I live in western PA with my wife, who is an X-ray tech. We have two grown boys, one computer engineer and one college student.

Hey guys, my name is Brandon Gray and I am 26 and a novice knife maker. I started making knives about 11-12 years ago but stopped until just last year. I have made 5 knives so far and am working on gathering the shop tools to help me progress. I got into knife making through my highschool shop teacher who was an engineer and showed me the basics while working on a school project. my first two knives were 1095 with pinned brass bolsters and micarta handles. I am currently looking for a belt grinder for my shop and hoping to make a small forge to try my hand at that side too. I have a ton of stuff i need to learn, and look forward to reading through the huge knowledge base on here. I have never used any power tools in my knife making since i started. My shop teacher made us do all the profiling, stock removal, bevels and sanding by hand and the methods just stuck with me. It does take far longer to finish them but i like the process and dont sell them, i just keep them or give them away to friends and family. I am planning to get some 1084 right away to make some more knives, because i heard its a better steel for novice makers. Hopefully i can get some of my questions answered once i get over the fear of sounding like a total noob.

My name is Edward Braun and I am a 31yr old university English instructor, knifemaker, gunsmith, and life long tinkerer in Valdosta, GA. My initial direction towards bladesmithing was less than altruistic and pure happenstance--my salary has steadily been reduced at the university, my wife unemployed due to heart issues; and the local demand for custom firearms work rapidly diminishing. One day a young man showed up asking me to build a custom AR in exchange for a SouthBend lathe, old Craftsman benchtop mill (plus all their tooling), and all the other odds and ends he'd inherited when a machinist relative left him his shop.
As a "down" he gave me a buffalo 1x42" belt grinder, Delta Shopmaster press, and a box containing the manuals for the lathe, mill, 1972 machinist handbook (and other editions) and what he thought was a jeweling fixture (it was a broken vernier).
I assembled his rifle and he left with the promise to meet with me two weeks later. Two months later and it was apparent that he'd no intention of coming back--hopping from Georgia to Vegas on to Germany. Dejectedly, I sat and actually picked for the first time through the box of random stuff he'd dropped on my shop floor, untouched. I was surprised to find it inordinately heavy and soon found why--under the thin smattering of manuals and outdated catalogs, I found a Jantz parcel containing several sample sheets of G10, Micarta, and fiber liner, as well as 7 440C unprofiled paddle blanks, Tim McCreight's book "Custom Knife Making" and several antler racks. I took a look back on pics I'd snapped of the equipment, and quickly realized that old boy whose equipment I'd meant to adopt had been making a Bader clone.

About that time an old customer came by to drop off an even older Savage 29A for refurb and say the steel, books, and asked for a knife. I owed him for continually coming to me for gun work, I've long suspected he'd done it more as a favor to me to keep me busy since work had dried up, and so agreed. That first knife soon followed by two more requests and I wasn't even trying to sell them--folks called with set figures in mind, I just agreed more from shock then avarice. I was given copies of Goddard's books, materials, and still reading whatever the BF searches were producing.
I gradually came to the realization that working steel was calling to me in a whole new way. Between gunsmithing and other endeavors, I have always had a passion for metal work...but this was something alien, new, and refreshing. I'd find myself emerging from the shop after a 6 hour session shaping a blade in better spirits, happy, and all the many jumbled billions of tangential thoughts that normally course my mind in sync and harmony.

I suddenly discovered something during those first few knives beyond the challenge and fun in the experience, I completely lost myself in the work--hitting the zen like state of mind Bushido practitioners called Minushi, "mind without mind." The world sings to me while I'm crafting a blade and for the first time in life feel complete.
Embracing that feeling, I continually shifted direction in aesthetics, themes, materials, and all at a rapid clip without rushing the work. My admiration for the work of other makers neithers discourages me nor tempts me emulate, it simply makes me want to push myself harder, but as Herbert wrote, "The slow blade penetrates the shield." And so restrain myself, trying to be more reserved and mindful that I'm a young pup in an old dog's game.
Please bear with me gentle reader and i'll get to the point--

In a way I have come to grips, and the reality, that I had pointedly and poignantly thumbed my nose by various extents at the blade and blacksmithing world. I came from a mass of acronyms--degrees, techniques, machining labels, and so on. Blacksmithing was low tech...but then I made a knife and then I wanted, no, needed a forge. Something was screaming at me to do it. My epiphany was the effort I'd previously exerted to ignore such aspects of metal work--as a custom gunmaker a knife was an accent to the final package. I was a technocrat of the worst sort, a science snob the likes of which Tai Goo's Pet Peeve thread has discussed.
My shift was as sudden as my initial turn onto the bladesmith trade--
I justified it, at first, as needing a way to anneal and temper steel--I needed that forge. I spent six month researching everyone from Lionel's smelter to Zeoller/Reil's designs on down the list to Fogg and so on before settling on a hybrid of sorts with one of Rex's 1" Hybrid burners.
Next thing I knew I was on the hunt for guaranteed sources of steel and anvil--without anyone stocking hardening steels within 200 miles, I resorted to researching makes, models, and years of auto manufacturers to locate a decent stock of 5160, eventually ripping the 120 pounds of leaf springs from an early 70's Chevy for 60 bucks. I practiced, I learned, I studied, and around August last year began making damascus--cable then layered (although I'd been making mokume gane from the start).
...I'm still hunting a decent anvil, however, a friend with Harbor Fright offered me one of their 55lbers (I swapped a broken milling vice in exchange, they ended up owing me 5 bucks for it) and I ended up having a 3/4" plate of AR500 welded to the top. I ache for a Hay Budden or similar like a man in the desert longs for a glass of water.
To the point, and despite having read everything I could get my hands on metallurgy from tech manuals to Kevin Cashen's extensive posts, and yet...it amazed me how the same steel, same breed off the same bar, could have two completely different physical qualities all by being quenched in two different mediums.
The pure alchemy of the moment as steel phases is a moment as captivating and awe inspiring as the moments when my kids were born. I'm torn between the artist who simply is happy to be working with his hands...and the technowizard who demands the utmost in performance from his skill and his materials. In truth, perhaps I'm just a skeptic and realist who is mesmerized that magic still exists in some small way in this world.

Each step on this path has been rich, rewarding, and helped me find a love for life I'd not known short of the joy my wife and 4 children bring to me. I have always been a jack of all trades, proud of my DIY attitude and work ethic, but bladesmithing has added a whole new definition and dimension to my character, personality, and life philosophy. I readily admire the works of folks like Salem Straub, Jay Fisher, Tai Goo, Randy Haas, and so many of the other major makers present on these forums and web in general; I would readily give my eye teeth to study with them and one day might. For now I am content being abe to finally be comfortable enough to be a contributing member to this site, and hopefully earn the respect of those whom I respect.

Sorry for the novel, thank you for the chance to introduce myself; I hope I can be of some use.

Ed Braun
www.alefforge.com

I'm Zane Bacon. I'm 18 and I live in Seattle, WA. I've been making knives for over a year now and I absolutely love it. I can't really remember how I got started. All I know is there was a huge jump from having no idea why my knife wasn't cutting as well, (it had gone dull and I had no idea how to test it) to being fascinated and amazed by what knives and blades can do. The first "knife" I made was forged out of an old bolt and was hardly a knife at all. I had no idea how to heat treat the steel and I was doing everything in a home built forge in my back yard. Somehow I got in contact with David Lisch and took his Intro to Knife Making class and I was instantly hooked. The first tool I got was a 4"x36" belt sander and it worked well when all I was doing was shaping handles. I even made some pretty nice looking knives with factory blades if I do say so myself. However, it was not enough. I wanted to make my own blades. I urged my mom and, after a lot of prodding, convincing and even some begging, I got a KMG from Beaumont Metalworks and I couldn't be happier. I've been slowly acquiring new tools and equipment and I am finally able to make a knife from start to finish by myself. I've been lurking around Bladeforums for a while now because I have been nervous about posting anything that isn't up to my standards, which are WAY too high for my own good, but lately I've gotten to speak with some amazing knife makers like John Doyle, Ryan Weeks and Todd Miller and I'm much more comfortable with how my knives look. That's where I am now, and I can't wait to see where knife making takes me.

I'm Joe Porrello. I'm a 41 year old tax attorney from Miami, FL. I progressed to knifemaking from wood carving. I also carve fountains out of featherock, build waterfalls out of real and faux rock and sculpt clay. I'm married and have an (almost) 4 year old daughter. She loves to play with me in the shop and is learning the names of all the tools and different styles of knives. I'm in the process of making a large kurkuri and she said "Papa, are you makin' a zombie-chopper?" pretty cute.

I'm Roger Clubb. I'm 56 and work in the tire manufacturing industry in Spartanburg, SC. Made my first knife a couple weeks ago from a piece of scrap band saw blade. My wife confiscated it already. She still thinks I'm nuts though. Since then I've cleaned a spot in my garage and built a work table and so far have mounted a vice, bench grinder and a cheapo 1" x 30" harbor freight belt grinder. I guess I've been bitten. Been reading and watching videos like crazy. I haven't found a source for steel here yet so I've ordered some from Jantz. Some 5160 and 1095. Working on my first knife from good steel now. I also built a cheapo forge I saw on Tim Lively's web page. I'll try my hand at heat treating soon as I get the first knife ready.

im keith, from australia, mining engineering student, very hands on person, i know something about anything from everything, from building a deck on the back of your house to fixing a wall about to come down, from installing a sound system into a car to rebuilding a engine, from restoring a rifle to welding up a trailer, i build, design, fix and work on about anything, ive always liked knives, could never own enough though, and after looking into it a bit more ive designed to start making my own, like anything i do, i try to learn as much as i can before i jump into the project, a few simple tips can go along way even if its asking the dumbest of questions,

Back