I think it's time : Another "who the heck are ya post.

Hello to all. My name is Bennie Lovejoy (just call me Ben) and I'm a Fabricator/welder in southeastern Kentucky. i've been "making" knives for about a month now but have been lurking and gathering info on this site for about six months I guess. I Got hooked on making knives after piddling around with some scrap steel from work, Then decided I wanted to do it right so started looking around online for knife sites and found this forum and am a much better maker for it . A big thanks to all the poeple on this site who freely give of there time and knowledge.

Bennie

Howdy folks! I'm James, 38 and a single dad. (Sheesh, that sounds like a singles ad :eek:) I worked various factory and other jobs over the years, but finally decided the punching-a-clock thing was driving me crazy... now I'm struggling to make ends meet with knife-related work and assorted part-time stuff... I'm not a wealthy man but I'm having a darn good time and get to spend a lot of time with my daughter. I spent a lot of years rocking the local bars playing lead guitar, but have kind of left the rock'n'roll scene behind. Gettin' too old for that lifestyle! ;)

I'm not ashamed to admit that I once got myself in trouble for growing a certain plant for my own use... it's a matter of public record so I see no reason to hide it. I served my time and haven't had so much as a speeding ticket ever since... thirteen years this month. The experience taught me to stand up and take responsibility for my own mistakes, and to never be intimidated by anyone. Once you've heard the iron doors clang shut behind you, there's not much else that can spook ya. ;)

I've been fascinated with knives of almost all kinds since I can remember. I started out drawing and building model cars (Dad was a bit of a hot-rodder, "hand me that 9/16 socket, son... ") and built my first kit knife at the age of 16... soon I degenerated into abusing and eventually customizing/building guitars... always have to be doing something with my hands. Even when I'm sitting around watching football, I'm fiddling with some project or picking guitar during commercials.

My mom was a published poet and short-story writer who taught me the joy of reading and writing. Everyone on both sides of my family was creative in some way and to this day, I just don't understand people who don't have some kind of hobby to keep their minds and hands occupied.

Dad taught me to fish and camp... he was too much of a softie to hunt (by his own admission... he just couldn't bear to kill anything as pretty as a deer). As a boy I spent a good amount of time with my maternal uncle/godfather Larry at his cabin up north, on the same land grandma's family first homesteaded when they came over from Germany. I still remember reading his Field&Stream and Outdoor Life mags and especially his copy of "Mountain Man"... the book that the film "Jeremiah Johnson" was based on. He had (probably still does) a knife we would call a "bushcraft" style, that grampa made from an old file in his younger days... I think it was a Boy Scouts or 4H project. That got me hooked on the whole idea of making knives. Next thing you know, I was wearing out my library card... :) The other side of the family was Norwegian so of course I've always been fascinated with Viking arms and armor. (German/Norski... naw, I'm not stubborn :p)

All the men in my family were carpenters or mechanics or musicians, and storytellers and outdoorsmen. All the women were crafty, too; I blame them for the fact that I can't sit still and usually yap too much. It's in my genes! :D

Last edited:
Hello all, My name is Charlie Edmondson and I live in Alexander city,Al. I grew up in the backwoods coon hunting, and have always collected knives. Served 4 years in the service, worked in a Prison, and it didnt take long to decide the prison working was not for me. Started studying got into school and now work as a Water treatment operator at a drinking water plant here on the tallapoosa river. Everyday I am off And as soon as I get home in the morning I start making knives, work 4 to 6 hours everyday in my little knife shop. I enjoy forging so mostly I forge and do little stock removal. I have been making knives for around a year and a half, but untill about 6 months ago I didnt have everything I really needed to make what I consider a great knife. I also live close to some GREAT makers here in Bama and I mostly bother the hell out of them with a million questions,LOL and they always help.

Hi my name is Jim Wharton, been making knives for over 20 years. Use to frequent this site quite a bit until I moved about 1 1/2 years ago and had no place to build my knives. Got moved and have been building a new shop and hope to be up and running this fall. I live in Udall, KS on a small lake. I use to live in Belle Plaine, KS. I have worked for Spirit AeroSystems (use to be Boeing) for 24 years as a Senior Research Analyst. I make my knives using the stock removal method and do all aspects including heat treat, sub zero treatment and sheath making in leather and Kydex. I prefer CPM-154CM and ATS-34 for my blades and stainless for gaurds and hardware. As soon as the shop is completed, I will post some pictures and hopefully soon after I will have something in the for sale section, can't hardly wait it's been so long. Look forward to chatting with and sharing ideas with all the makers again.

Hi my name is Jim Wharton, been making knives for over 20 years. Use to frequent this site quite a bit until I moved about 1 1/2 years ago and had no place to build my knives. Got moved and have been building a new shop and hope to be up and running this fall. I live in Udall, KS on a small lake. I use to live in Belle Plaine, KS. I have worked for Spirit AeroSystems (use to be Boeing) for 24 years as a Senior Research Analyst. I make my knives using the stock removal method and do all aspects including heat treat, sub zero treatment and sheath making in leather and Kydex. I prefer CPM-154CM and ATS-34 for my blades and stainless for gaurds and hardware. As soon as the shop is completed, I will post some pictures and hopefully soon after I will have something in the for sale section, can't hardly wait it's been so long. Look forward to chatting with and sharing ideas with all the makers again.

Wondered what happened to you...always liked your stuff! Glad to see you back.

Hello I am Zech Moore. I am in my early 30s and started making knives late last year. I have always been interested in making knive but never did it. My son wanted to know about blacksmithing so I took him to a blacksmith and made a forge. He lost interest but I did not. I naturaly started making knives with the forge. I would love to make a living making knives. I have not made it yet but am getting closer to it. It seems like every time I make a knife now I get another person that wants me to make them on. I lose about half of the knives I make in hardening. I am still learning. I have some videos on youtube.com under "Southclaw" if anyone sees anything I am doing wrong please let me know.

Hello I am Zech Moore. I am in my early 30s and started making knives late last year. I have always been interested in making knive but never did it. My son wanted to know about blacksmithing so I took him to a blacksmith and made a forge. He lost interest but I did not. I naturaly started making knives with the forge. I would love to make a living making knives. I have not made it yet but am getting closer to it. It seems like every time I make a knife now I get another person that wants me to make them on. I lose about half of the knives I make in hardening. I am still learning. I have some videos on youtube.com under "Southclaw" if anyone sees anything I am doing wrong please let me know.

Hello Zech.
Welcome! Thanks for the introduction. You could ask away here and get a variety of answers. What works for me may not work for you so dont be shy, just ask.

My name is Ernie Swanson I am 28 years old, I grew up in a small town in NW Wisconsin, both my parents were older when they had me, I grew up learning as much as I could from my father who started hunting and trapping in the early 40's. I have a good feel for the outdoors and that is where I like to spend most of my time. I am also teach my two daughters as much as I can about the great outdoors.
I started to make my first knife a couple weeks ago by the stock removal method.
My plans are to learn as much as I can about knives and knife making, I hope someday to learn the forging procces and try for my ABS MS.... I know I have a long way to go!

Well I wouldn't call myself a maker but I am trying, My name is George Mason 45 yrs old in December, originally from south eastern Ontario, currently in Winnipeg Manitoba. I have always had a thing for knives but only ever just bought them. I found this place, got sucked into this sub forum and managed to convince myself I could make a knife. I have been hooked and have no idea what I am going to do with all the knives I make but there will be many

Never saw this thread before so I'll add my post... My name is Aaron Cardon. I just recently moved back to Oregon, with my wife and 2 children, to attend Western States Chiropractic College and OHSU for dual DC/MD degrees. I lived in Pocatello, ID where I was a Scout leader and had a boy in my Troop whose Father was in jail. Him and his older brother were having a rough summer so I tried finding something to take their minds off their Father not being around and the older boy was always talking about knives so we decided to try and make some. Kelly Cupples donated some steel and Guy Isom did our heat treating for us (thanks again Kelly and Guy!). All the knives have been shaped by stock removal and we made denim "micarta" for the handles. The boys all agreed to do a leather sheath for their knives and in the process earn their leather working merit badge. We've had a little bit of a hangup with finishing the knives since I moved to Oregon and keep getting fined for using my grinder on my balcony. Hopefully soon I will be able to send a package to the boys with their knives, scales, paracord and pins so they can complete their projects that we said we would finish by the end of August!

Since getting bit by the knifemaking bug I have spent countless hours on BF and other forums trying to glean as much information as possible. I have thousands of pictures of knives and sheaths that I like and will try to incorporate tried and true designs into my creations. I love working with my hands and have worked on pistols and rifles before but never knives. I feel very privileged to have the opportunity to pick the brains of some of my favorite knife makers and am humbled every time I see one of their works of art.

Most of my family are hunters so one of the reasons I was interested in knife making is because I can't afford the knives I would like to give as gifts to my family so I decided to take it one step further and try to make them myself. So far I have completed a total of 1 knife and 1 sheath. The knife has a blade that was given to me and is a hidden tang bowie, which I would never recommend to anybody to attempt for their first knife ;) The wood handle is from a cherry tree in my parent's back yard and has a superglue finish. The sheath is a mexican style sheath with no tooling, just my logo burned into the top portion of the front of the sheath. Both the sheath and the knife have millions of mistakes that make me want to throw them in the fire but my loving wife keeps reassuring me that I'm just psychotic... Hopefully I will finish knife #2 this week (just have last couple grits of sanding and then sharpening to do) and then on to sheath #2 which will be a formed sheath rather than mexican style.

In my free time I try to catch a nap here and there ;)

I'm very glad I found this forum, it has helped me immensely and I have thoroughly enjoyed the works of art presented. Thanks guys!

Might as well add my post here. Im Adam Humphrys, a 19 year old material science and engineering student at Virginia Tech and working on a minor in Foundry engineering. I've been lurking around for a long time and love this site and its wealth of knowledge. I've made a few knives and quite a bit of high carbon scrap. I generally spend my time between this forum and the metal working forum over on Paleoplanet. Between the two I've not only got bitten by the bug, but also developed a taste for mokume which has been the main occupation on my last few breaks. I've unfortunately been low on shop time being 7 hours from home and my shop for the majority of the year. I still have a lot to learn and I look forward to many more years of lurking, and maybe a few more posts from time to time.

Adam

OK, my turn...My name is Justin King and I am in Flagstaff, AZ. I made my first knife about 18 years ago out of a file, then started out doing stock removal, but quickly got bored with it. I wanted to forge even back then but had no workshop or equipment to speak of. So I just read and practiced the skills I could apply, until I finally bought a forge several years ago. In the intervening years I had aquired a strong interest in medieval swords and daggers, so my first years of forging were spent making daggers inspired by historical originals. Some of my past work can be seen on MyArmoury using my name in the search engine.

Currently I am making fixed blades only, using a combination of forging and stock removal. I have recently started working on a couple of modern tactical knives as well as the historical pieces which I have been doing.
I'm still working mostly low-tech but am experimenting with temp. measuring devices and trying to tighten up my heat treating procedures in particular.

I have browsed this forum in the past but just joined recently and have found a wealth of information as well as a heap of diversionary bull**it that I have enjoyed as well.

Hey Fellas, I'm Todd Warner from Castro Valley, CA. A guy who lives across the street - let's call him Don Juan (that's what I call him, and I'm Carlos) has a friend who makes knives. He was telling me about how this guy goes to junkyards to find quality steel and turns them into knives. I've always had a fascination with knives and swords so I thought man, to make my own knives would really be something. During the day I sell servers people make into supercomputers, but at night I share my time with my wife, my son, and my knives. As you guys all know, knifemaking is infectuous. The more I learn the more I realize I don't know. The more I read, the more I want to read. Thankfully I have a good job that funds my hobby. Maybe someday if I'm lucky enough to retire I'll be able to do this full time. I'm a total newb here, I'm still finishing up my first knife made from a blank. I've learned a lot already and am very thankful for the guys here who are willing to help a new guy out.

Hello, folks. My name is Robert Fish, and I just registered today. I"m 57, married, 4 young children. I"ve had an interest in knives since grade school, and discovered custom knives while stationed in Vegas in '79. I went to a gun show, and there were a number of custom knife tables there, on one of which I saw a George Herron boot knife. I ordered my first custom knife a few years later, when I got a job that paid more than the USAF. I tried my hand at making a knife of my own design somewhere around '92, filing down some 440C with a file. I started attending some NEKCA shows around Boston, and even rented a table several times. I sat next to and met some great folks there. Anymore, getting to my basement shop is a very rare occasion, but I recently managed to finish a hunting blade out of D2, which I used to field dress my very first deer. I hope to be able to spend more time when I retire soon, although there will probably be more Mr. Mom duties than I may anticipate.

Hi ya all in kelly wiens fron sask canada home of the monster white tail and huge walleye . Im a hard core hunter/fishin freak. Just startyed making knives last december dont remember posting to this so I thought I should. Im really into archaeoligy in a huge way and I think I have that excessive compulsive dissorder cuzz when I do something its full tilt or knothin. Ive made about 70 knives this past year and hope to double that and improve on my workmanship. Ive learned a ton from alot of great people here and would still be filing on my first knife if it wasnt for all the advice Ive got here. Thanks all kellyw

Hi All my name is Steve Randall and live in Lincolnton North Carolina. I have been into knives for a long time and about 7 years ago started forging some very basic knives . This year I went to the ABS school in AR and upgraded/added equipment to my shop and started a hobby type business .This is one of those hobbies the more you make the more you learn and realize how much more there is to learn. This is a tremendous resource and have learned a lot from some of the good people here THANKS....Steve Randall

:)Hello, my name is Chris Crawford. I live in Benton Illinois ( southern Illinois), I am a total newbie at this knife thing. i have made a couple of knives from old saw blades using the stock removal method, i would however like to get into forging in the future. I will try to post pictures of the 2 knives that i currentlu have made when i get a chance. well have a good day and God Bless

Hi, I just registered here last night. I have years of bushcraft experience and general outdoor knife use, from taking apart large animals to building kayaks. I'm here to learn how to make my ideal bushcraft knife for myself and friends. I am particularly interested in re-using materials in order to be light on the earth. For now I am focusing on methods that don't require a forge since I do not yet have that equipment.

Hi, my name is Mike Quesenberry and I started making knives in 2005. In 2006 went to an ABS show in Reno, NV and saw knives like I had never seen before. The tolerances were so tight and the lines so crisp, I was in awe. This put me on a quest to build knives that clean.
At the 2009 blade show I recieved my Journeyman bladesmith stamp thanks to the help of some local makers who put me down the right path. While at the blade show met Kyle Royer (great kid) who told me about the forums and suggested that I join. When I got back from Atlanta it was one of the first things I did and have enjoy it ever since. My wife thinks I'm addicted, but I think only mildly obsessed.
My full time job is with Union Pacific as a Locomotive Engineer and have been there for 17 years. In the beginning I really enjoyed it but now has just become a job and would rather be in the shop making knives. When I'm not at work or in the shop I enjoy flyfishing, bowhunting, and upland bird hunting, mainly quail. I live in the middle of the Sierra Nevada mountains and all these things are right out my front door, within a mile or so.
I don't make a lot of knives but the ones I do put out I strive for perfection in every one. I really appreciate all the good info that's put out here.

Thanks,
Mike

Back