I think it's time : Another "who the heck are ya post.

My name is Rick DuBois. I'm 44 and live in rural NE Oklahoma with my wife and 9 year old daughter. I can't call myself a knifemaker YET, as I've only ground one blade, and that one in a knife making class at the local Vo-Tech center, as I don't yet have adequate equipment at home. I have, however put handles on quite a few "kit" blades, both fixed and folder over the last year or so, along with kydex sheaths, and given them away as gifts. I kept seeing Jantz Supply ads in gun magazines and thought I'd like to try making a knife, so I ordered a kit and began the rapid descent into addiction.

I'm currently converting an old 8' X 12' concrete block well house into a very cramped but usable shop. I hope to build the "No Weld Grinder" soon and get to grinding blades. The wealth of knowledge that I've picked up just trolling these forums is amazing.

I'm an avid hunter and enjoy most any outdoor activity.

Hello all;

My name is Dick Stockford and I live in Bangor, Maine. I'm 64, recently retired from a career in Law Enforcement followed by a second career in graphic design. After a life-long interest in weapons, edged and otherwise, now I guess I'm ready to make my own... (Before I stumbled onto this forum, I had a nice little home woodworking shop where I turned out piles of sawdust and the occasional toy for my grandkids) so I've invested in a grinder and some steel and am working on my first two blades.

I am deaply appreciative and decidedly in awe of the skills, knowledge and sharing displayed by all of the forum regulars.

Dick, you have a open invite. We will be playing in the fire this Saturday. Come on down.:thumbup:;)

ArtinNC here Art Summers.
I'm kinda new to this Forum. I started making knives in 1987 was in the Knifemakers Guild and retired with 41 years at International Trucks quit making knives in 2001 and moved to NC and started making knives again in 2009 and just joined this forum.
Thanks Art

Hello, my name is Johnny Warner. I am retired from the Air Force and currently working in the firearms industry as a buyer for Sports South (distributor). I made my first knife while in graduate school, I swallowed the hook and have been making knives since 1977. However, I took a 10 year sabatical from knifemaking and returned last year. Currently, I forge damascus, carbon steel and grind stainless alloys. Making damascus is very gratifying and has me captured. Dan Graves invited me into his shop and taught me how to weld damascus. Currently, I am setting up my shop with a couple of power hammers to continue the damascus addiction. Among other hobbies are hunting, fishing and teaching wing shooting. I have been an NSCA intructor since 1997 and really have enjoyed teaching young and old alike the instinctive method of wing/clay shooting. The expertise on this forum is astounding to say the least. When I view others work, I get amazed at the quality and skill possessed by so many talented individuals. Enough rambling on my part, next!

Hi, my name is Chuck Mathes and I live in Magnolia, TX which is just outside of Houston. I'm by no means a maker, but would some day like to be. I just got into collecting in the last 6 months and I should have known it wouldn't be long before I wanted to try my hand at making. I'm a project superintendent for a commercial general contractor in Houston and build everything from churches to schools to airport terminals and community buildings to name a few. My largest project to date was pushing $6 million and was completed in 14 months.

The closest I've come to making a knife has been attempting to embelish an old Schrade LB7. So far I've pulled it apart and fileworked the backspring and blade. I have a post in the makers forum entitled "Is a file a file" where you can see the filework I've done if you like. Past that, I'm 29 pushing 30 and have been married 6 years to my wife Angela and we have a 14 month old daughter, Jenna. My wife has been supportive of my new found interest/ hobby and has no idea what she's in for!:D I love to hunt, fish, work with my hands and I'm not afraid of video games. I've been meeting some great guys here at the forum and look forward to meeting many more. Thanks!

Hello everyone, I am Calvin Harkins and I am 57 years old. I have been a pharmacist for 35 years. I own a small pharmacy in the rural community of Madill, OK. The wife and I have been happily married for 19 years. I am a licensed Baptist minister and preach at my home church some and some of the small churches in our area.

I love to hunt and fish. I have just taken up knife making. My 1x30 grinder quit so I ordered a Coote grinder. I am building a forge. Ray Rogers inspired me to build it. It should be running some time this week. I make my own soft plastic baits, jigs, and spinnerbaits. I make all of my ammo except the .22 LR. I have done taxidermy. I build computers and write software. I still get around pretty good for an old bald headed fat man.

I want to thank all of you for your help and encourangement. I have 2 knives under my belt and lots more planned.

Thanks IG - I'll probably show up someday, but for now recent shoulder surgery is keeping me pretty close to home (try'n to figure out one handed draw filing:D).

Dick

Welcome newbies! Actually some of you guys are not so new, like Johnny Warner. I've seen him and talked to him on emails and never knew his name. He is a great guy.

I really wish people would use their real name or at least include it in their signature.

My name is Derek Fleetwood, Im 22 newly graduated from College, just started drooling over knife making and the amazing work out there about a year ago at most. I have not completed one "knife" yet (although I am close to a finished knife made from 01.) Working on getting tools still using the 4 x 36 (you never know the limitations of something till you try it...)

a NWG is in the works, a forge once I find a place to put it, and have started stock piling steel. :D

my name is Glynn Loftin, I am 55 and have been a charter boat captain for 30+ years I make a few knives as a hobby and have learned alot of much needed info from this forum|site..thanks..I live in eastern N.C.

My name is Michael Hoover and I live on an Island in Puget Sound. I have a lot about me on my webpage which is linked to my signature. Heck there is even my picture and phone number...

I know a bit about knives and a heck of a lot about rocks....

Im Larry Shaughnessy, and I been reading and lurking on the board for a few years now, and then a few months ago I upgraded to the knifemaker membership. During the day I work as an IT developer, and for hobbies I guess I came from a background of wood working, and eventually got into the exotic woods for projects. I have always collected blades since I was little tho, and that was a few yrs ago....:p. I got interested in the whole knifemaking process, after my wife used one of our kitchen knives as a pry bar and snapped about 1/2" off the tip. Well I didnt try and fix that blade, but I sent it to one of the makers on the board. He fixed it, and sent it back to me. While I was waiting I looked at his website and was fascinated by the whole thing. Tools I'd never seen before, and beautiful blades that were elegant and complimented by beautiful wood, and synthetic material. I was hooked. The thing thats interesting to me is that you need to take baby steps in learning these things and have patience, and a lot of it crosses over into other areas. It seems like some guys really excel with the steel, some do really well with the handle materials, and some are outstanding with making sheaths. I think you can get really into one area, and spend a lot of time doing that thing, and for me thats been the exotic wood part. I'm slowly coming around to the steel and grinding. I went from a 1x42 to a KMG clone 2x72 and so grinding is now becoming more interesting as I go along. Altho, it is pretty challenging. The leather sheaths have been ok, but in all of this I can see that I am just scratching the surface, so I just plug along at my own pace and read a lot of posts. I wish I had more time to just focus on making blades. There is an amazing amount of talented makers here. I finally put a web page out there, to just post some pics of stuff (not all knife stuff) and heres the link if anyone is having trouble sleeping :D ---> http://meridianknives.shutterfly.com/

Anyways thanks for puttin up with me............ Larry

Hi my name is Paul Buterick I am 54 and Im in the marine construction business at the Jersey shore. I like to hunt and fish and joined this site in 06 to learn how to sharpen my knives. About a year ago I started making knives after becoming interested from reading the knifemakers forums. Since then Ive made around 15 knives.

I am lurking on this site every day and enjoy reading the posts and checking out the knives that you guys post. I dont know how to post pictures but I will figure it out and put some pictures of knives I made on the gallery.

Hi my name is Paul Buterick I am 54 and Im in the marine construction business at the Jersey shore. I like to hunt and fish and joined this site in 06 to learn how to sharpen my knives. About a year ago I started making knives after becoming interested from reading the knifemakers forums. Since then Ive made around 15 knives.

I am lurking on this site every day and enjoy reading the posts and checking out the knives that you guys post. I dont know how to post pictures but I will figure it out and put some pictures of knives I made on the gallery.

Bubba, if you get up my way stop by.;);):D

Last edited:
hey guys,

my name is martijn, i'm 15 years old, and started knife making a week ago. i had 3 weeks vacation from work and i was REALLY bored, so i decided, how hard can it be to make my own knife:) , pretty hard it seems... also i live in the netherlands, but we in the netherlands have none knifemaking forums, nobody with even a own site, after searchin trough half of google i had find only 2 guys in whole of the netherlands who are making knifes, and they did it for living.... so 1 on 5.3 million people in our country is a knife maker...

grtz,
martijn

Hi I'm Mike Robertson from Fairland IN, close to Indy. I'm 62 and for 37 years I made kit knives and then knives from Bob Egnaths terrific blades. At 60 I had a 7 bypass heart job and even died on the treadmill. So I began a bucket list and making knives 100% was on it. Ive been forging for over a year now and do my own heat treating and have made about 80 knives so far. Wish I had started forging about 30 years ago. Live long and make knives.
James7729

Hello my name is Jim Reeves. I live in Hillsboro, Texas I am 40 yrs old and a single parent of a 14 yr old son. I first learned knife making from my Dad he has always been a welder and could make anything. One summer when I was around 14yrs old he gave me a knife he made and I wanted to make my own. I still have that knife it is made from a file and a deer horn... For the last 20 yrs I have worked as an auctioneer around the state. Knife making was not on my mind until this past year. Now I have a shop in my garage with a 2x72 belt grinder, forge and an anvil. With a growing passion for learning more about making custom knifes and blacksmithing.

I'm Ken Hurst, pro. engraver for 51 years. Former Colt & Win. custom shop master engraver. Been engraving firearms most of my years but have become interested in knives so began engraving them. I live in a small rural eastern North Carolina town (Robersonville) with my wife. I also work in the shop 7 days a week, 10-12 hours a day so that I can make quick deel. on projects ----- &, what else can a nearly 70 year old do to keep busy ? No more rootin - tooting or gun shooting, just engraving. Maybe I'll make that folder I been promiseing myself I'd do, who knows ..............

Back