I think there's something wrong with me

That's the only way I can see it, something has to be wrong with me.

Shooting is one of my favorite outdoor activities. Rarely does a day go by that I don't think about it to one extent or another. All throughout the week, Monday through Friday, I'd like to just take a break from work and obligations and do some target practice.

And then around comes the weekend, and when the opportunity to do just that is perfect I find myself not in the mood to actually do it, and unable to muster the interest to even leave the house. It's as if I have no life left in me because I spent everything during the work week, leaving nothing but a withered husk for the weekend.

I never used to be like that. Even just two years ago I would've been out shooting at any good opportunity. So obviously something's wrong with me, but I don't know what it is.

Sometimes taking that first step and getting there to shoot will rekindle that fire. With all the craziness going on around us right now I think many folks are a bit off the norm and find it harder to motivate themselves for even things they love to do.

I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with you ... if you can just make yourself get up and go that may all change when you get a few rounds down range and that enjoyment comes back. If you shoot with a friend maybe set up and plan a trip out to shoot and that will be motivation enough to get started again.

Mid 30s.

Sometimes taking that first step and getting there to shoot will rekindle that fire. With all the craziness going on around us right now I think many folks are a bit off the norm and find it harder to motivate themselves for even things they love to do.

I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with you ... if you can just make yourself get up and go that may all change when you get a few rounds down range and that enjoyment comes back. If you shoot with a friend maybe set up and plan a trip out to shoot and that will be motivation enough to get started again.

Said friend hasn't been available for quite some time. I've checked. Every time one of us has the opening that could be used, the other doesn't. And going by yourself is just no fun.

I used to go to the range all the time by myself, and yes it IS fun. You just have to truly like shooting for it to be fun going alone. Hell, it was my excuse to get away from everybody else and have some time to do something I enjoy by myself. Clears the mind.

Everything is better with buddies to share the experience, but don’t count on them to hold your hand and be there every single time. Don’t let it spoil a hobby you love.

Make yourself go put one foot in front of the other, put your guns in the car, and go! You’ll feel much better once you do.

I hear you.

Over that last couple of years I have really slowed down in enjoying extracurricular activities.

This stems from my concern on how things have been going for our country.

I feel like I need to save money and avoid people. It’s not a great way to live life.

As stated earlier...sometimes you just have to force yourself to go out.

I’m working on planning a short camping trip for the following weekend. First time I’ve camped in almost a year. We used to camp five or six times a year for context.

I actually enjoy shooting alone ... yes a buddy along with some conversation is good too. But hard to talk a lot when you're running drills or shooting a lot. I get more actual "practical practice" if I shoot alone.

The step to just get started is usually the hardest ... and with everything going on it is affecting many people. I've been doing all I can outdoors without being around many people if any and it's kind of been nice too get back to some simple things I hadn't done in awhile.

Last edited:
I started shooting with my step son and it gives me more purpose and drive to go!

That's the only way I can see it, something has to be wrong with me.

Shooting is one of my favorite outdoor activities. Rarely does a day go by that I don't think about it to one extent or another. All throughout the week, Monday through Friday, I'd like to just take a break from work and obligations and do some target practice.

And then around comes the weekend, and when the opportunity to do just that is perfect I find myself not in the mood to actually do it, and unable to muster the interest to even leave the house. It's as if I have no life left in me because I spent everything during the work week, leaving nothing but a withered husk for the weekend.

I never used to be like that. Even just two years ago I would've been out shooting at any good opportunity. So obviously something's wrong with me, but I don't know what it is.
It's an age symptom. It get's worse unless you really focus on activities.

I feel the same. I finally went shooting a few weeks ago and it was awesome. Then the reality of how expensive 45 had gotten hit me. So I went and picked up a 22 pistol and have yet to shoot it. It seems harder to organize a shoot this year. I cant shoot on my property ( I have less than 5 acres) so I have to coordinate with my buddy etc. Suddenly my F it button gets hit.

Depression takes many forms for many people. How do you know where depression stops and physical exhaustion from hard work starts? How do you know if it's depression if there are still things you can and do enjoy doing?
Talk to a licensed therapist or doctor. Or even use some reputable evaluation tools. Not joking at all, depression is insidious as hell and if you can recognize, talk about and potentially treat it early it gives you a tremendous leg up. And if it turns out not to be depression, you get some good news that you can celebrate by picking a day to knock off early and go do some shooting. ;)

Talk to a licensed therapist or doctor. Or even use some reputable evaluation tools. Not joking at all, depression is insidious as hell and if you can recognize, talk about and potentially treat it early it gives you a tremendous leg up. And if it turns out not to be depression, you get some good news that you can celebrate by picking a day to knock off early and go do some shooting. ;)

Is it depression if you have plenty of motivation to get up and help others even when you're exhausted, even when you know you won't get recognition or compensation, but you don't have the same sort of motivation for the things you want to do for yourself?

Is it depression if you have plenty of motivation to get up and help others even when you're exhausted, even when you know you won't get recognition or compensation, but you don't have the same sort of motivation for the things you want to do for yourself?
I'm not an expert, but it certainly could be. Losing interest or lack of motivation to do activities you previously enjoyed is a pretty classic symptom.

I thought you were older. Sometimes interests shift and you'll probably be back shooting again especially if a buddy nudges you. It is more fun to shoot with a friend, but it can be a pain in the butt scheduling.

Ammunition cost slaps you in the face. Yes I know you can load your own or buy in bulk. But the entire sport is not cheap at all. That's why I lean toward 22's most of the time plus I get a big kick out of tiny holes (groups, clusters). What I don't get much of a kick out of any more is hunting (killing) even though I love to be out in the woods at the break of dawn. Now I tend to be armed with a camera more than anything.

Shoot trap!
or god forbid, skeet (jk)!
I used to be an avid pistol shooter but it just got tired.

I decided to go small bore, back to my roots and picked up a Rem 510, just to goof around with. I shoot iron sights at 50 and 100 yds and it's fun again. Thinking about picking up a full on target like a Winchester 52 or something like it. I shot rifle in high school and was thinking of shooting the three positions; standing, prone and kneeling.
Anyways, one day I decided to walk over to the shotgun side and watched some trap dudes.
Seems like its easy enough!
I got lucky and met a guy who introduced me and first time out, I was hooked!
I mean, where else you get to shoot a 12g at a moving target 25 times in a row?
Skeet? forget it! makes my head spin. Actually second look it was a bit easier.
Shotgun is different from regular shooting; no sight picture it's just look and shoot.
Different from target shooting as when you miss, you miss.

So I went back to open sights to make paper fun again.
Then to trap for the challenge.
Already got my 25 straight!

BTW, I was on the rifle side, talking to the rangemaster and mentioned to him that I was interested in going over to the trap side.
He looked at me said that if I ever go there, I wouldn't be back.
He was right!

DSC_2777.jpg

Back