I want your 2 cents

Help me out everyone! I decided I wanted to purchase another folding blade recently and started looking. I don't really collect, not an expert either like a lot of folks here so take this at face value because admittedly I am ignorant to a lot of things when it comes to high end folders and what makes them such.

The form factor I want to go with is a small chunky folder, I plan to carry it a lot and it would really only serve the purpose of slicing tape on boxes at work. I know a box cutter would work for me, so would my car keys but I like knives too and already decided I want to get a nice sturdy one that I can maybe hand down someday.

So what I want help with is some recommendations. So far I have seen the medford knives and I wouldn't mind a micro praetorian because I think they just cool. But it's a hefty price and I figured I wouldn't be doing myself any favors if I didn't ask around for some competitive options. I know the fat folders are a hot button for some people, not wanting a debate on why anything sucks unless it's backed up by a fact and not your personal opinion or dislike of another man.

So yeah are there any knives I may have passed up or missed that may be worth looking into? Doesn't have to be a cheaper option, I do want to stay below 1000 though. There's so much out there. I would love to see pics of anything you have that fits the form factor etc. And as always much appreciated in advance for any suggestions!

Take a look at the Spyderco Techno 2 (or Techno 1, disco'ed).

It's a small fat-ish knife that I enjoy quite a bit. Very nice stonewash finish on the blade and solid titanium scales. I should carry mine more, in fact, haha.

I have three of the Buck model 112. This is a knife that screams "chunky." I also prefer that the front bolster has a finger choil, which keeps your frozen hand from sliding onto the blade.
The auto versions I have are a bit steep, but I bought a manual 112 from Blue Ridge for 44 bucks.

Depends on how small you think small is. For me, when I think chunky EDC, I think of my Zero Tolerance 0456. Solid titanium scales, thick-ish stock, good workable blade shape, nice steel. For me, a blade under 3.75" is what I consider small.

Welcome to the forum:)

GLksEWQ.png

Techno is a great suggestion, pretty much the definition of a small chunky folder. But the Techno fits that more than the Techno 2 and it is discontinued, so my next suggestion would be a Lil Native.

Curtiss Nano Midtech (Boker+ Nano for a less expensive production version)
Spyderco Techno 1/2
Spyderco Native/lil'Native
CRKT Pilar (Especially if you can hunt down one of the BladeHQ exclusive ones in 14C28N or S35VN)

Thank you for the warm welcome and the suggestions. I am going to check all of these suggestions out.

I may be better off picking up a decent chunky folder at an economy price to figure out if I really will like it before going out on a limb with a medford or something similarly priced Haha. I don't have anything local that allows me to fondle stuff I'm basically stuck with window shopping and using my imagination

$1000 budget, sky is the limit, w/ one off and custom options on the table... in any case, aside from the full smaller Medford lineup; Panzer, Sherman, Hundin, Eris, Chunky Monkey,

A Kiba II by Glenn Waters appears to be quintessential to a high end, small chunky folder.

Rockstead Chi; blade is just a bit over 3", but might just be one of the finest examples of a $1000 knife available at just under $1000?
(Idk personally, just going off rumors I've heard around the grapevine, and Rockstead's reputation)...

Gredatis Puffin

Olamic Busker.
-slightly smaller, lighter, less chunky. But still small and chunky.

Koenig Mini Goblin

There was also a Grindhouse TMA for sale here in the exchange, might still be available?
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/grindhouse-tma-custom.1679493/

Quite a few "heirloom quality" mini pocket tanks worthy of handing down available out there... definitely let us know what you ultimately decide.

The ADV Mini butcher actually sounds like it would be a good fit, you can often find a good deal on one on the exchange :D

Back