I want your 2 cents

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Ghost88, Dec 4, 2019.

1. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    folding Stanley (et-al) box knife and a box of carbide or ceramic blades.

Why get nasty inedible glue on your good knife blade?
    You won't be able to use it to peel or slice your love apple at lunch, if that nasty inedible glue is on the blade.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    jackknife likes this.
  2. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    A little GooGone, followed by Dawn....and I'm sitting down for lunch. :D

3. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    There are some good recommendations in this thread.

My personal favorite lil’ chunk is the ZT0900. It’s discounted but they pop up on the Exchange from time to time.

[​IMG]

For the activities you describe the Native 5 would work great (I prefer the LW). It’s not really a chunk, but gipping with the forward choil I feel I could tackle anything.

The Rhino isn’t chunky at all, but I really like it. ;)

A few people have mentioned the 0456. Chunky is the right word IMO! It might be a good choice for you.

4. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    The ZT0900 is one of the knives I hate that I missed picking up before they were axed. The 909 is a great knife in and of itself, but that 900 looks like a gentleman's pocket battle axe. Just my style:)

FullMetalJackass likes this.
  5. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    That Rhino has caught my eye recently. Trying to decide between it and the McBee. Very different styles, but both interesting and similarly priced.

6. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I’m crazy about it. If you take the plunge, save judgement until after a good break in. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spyderco-rhino.1693478/

7. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I would add to the list the Hogue X1 Microflip(available with wharncliffe blade), Spyderco Delica 4(available with wharncliffe blade), & Spyderco Q-ball

8. Ghost88

Ghost88

May 23, 2012
    Wow! Appreciate all the love. I'm definitely a fool if I don't get my hands on a ZT. Too much praise to not be legit.

I'm going to take a day trip to DFW and find some shops and see if I can fondle a few chunksters. I really am in love with that micro praetorian though. It's just something about the look of it. But for now I'm definitely going to get a good knife, most likely a zt. And if that doesn't cure the itch I may just order the micro down the road.

Appreciate the pics fellas. But in all honesty the guy who said welcome to the rabbit hole already knew how this was going to end . Somehow I went from wanting one good folder to SEVERAL in a few hours time.. haha cheers

strategy9 and Richard Coyle like this.
  9. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    I have a Boker War Toad that fits any need I may have for a chunky folder--it's one heck of a big biscuit knife. It's a slip joint but has an extended tang that makes it incredibly secure in the hand, so much so that I use it for woodworking without worry. They are gettting increasingly hard to find, but with such a huge budget you could just get the custom version, the Toad from TuffKnives.

Ghost88 likes this.
  10. Earl1

Earl1

May 11, 2016
    The native 5 would be my recommendation also,not chunky but thick enough for a full grip. Very very sturdy knife. One of the very best knives around a hundred dollars imho.

11. eon blue apocalypse

eon blue apocalypse

Apr 11, 2015
    Hinderer half track. Any blade shape you pick, it'll do. A lot of the others here were good suggestions too, especially the 0900, imo.

Richard Coyle likes this.
  12. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    Small Sebenza 100%

13. JDRanger

JDRanger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2017
    TOPS/Buck CSAR-T collaboration folder is a super knife. Heavily built and a good value.

14. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Noyadon't.
    Lots of people say that to me but when I give it they begin to step slowly backwards while fixing a tense and nervous eye on me.
    I have that effect on people.
    Trouble is . . . usually . . . eventually . . . they realize . . . in the long run . . . I was right.
    . . . and then what happens ?
    The next time we see each other it's extra weird and nobody knows quite where to look and . . .
    well . . .
    Probably best we just avoid all that.
    :)

kreisler likes this.
  15. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Benchmade Sibert 756 Micro Pocket Rocket.

[​IMG]

eon blue apocalypse likes this.
  16. CPM3V

CPM3V Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Jun 5, 2019
    I have no experience with ZT, but have always heard great things. You could also check out the spyderco shaman. It is kind of chunky looking in my opinion. It si about 1/2 thick. Welcome to the forums!

17. Shadowedhand

Shadowedhand

Dec 4, 2019
    I just ordered a Zero Tolerance 0350 so I'll let you know how that goes. Many say that is a great starter to get into Zero Tolerance knives, though its an older model that is built on the tank/"overbuilt" concept. You say that you may want to try ai lower budget stubby knife; many compare the Kershaw knockout to the ZT0350. Based upon the entry level of the zt0350 I'd recommend giving it a shot. I used to carry a large folder when I was younger and I always felt safer with a bigger knife. With lifetime warranty, and a $30 blade replacement program I don't think you can go wrong with your long term plans for the tool. We'll see how my mileage varies with my new purchase though.

18. Shadowedhand

Shadowedhand

Dec 4, 2019
    A cheaper and similar automatic option is the Boker sub AK knife. I got one but exchanged it because it was simply too small for my taste. If you're looking for a box cutter type of knife and want to try out the dimension on a budget before investing in a higher end version, I suggest the BOKER.

19. South paw draw

South paw draw Yep.....I'm a idiot. Platinum Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Cant go wrong with a small 21 crk with micarta inlays. And for a nice budget chunker a Benchmade minigrip with some AWT scales is a pretty good knife. ZT makes some good stuff but I haven't picked up anything from them since the 560/561 discontinued. Back when they made large over built monsters. 20191205_004336.jpg 20191205_004732.jpg
    Here's my mini grip with AWT scales in D2 steel.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  20. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    Zt is always a good choice.
    Dpx Gear HEAT is a great little chunky knife that fit my hand well.

South paw draw likes this.