I wish GEC would make a proper lambsfoot knife.

kamagong

Gold Member
Now that GEC has shown a willingness to re-create older designs (e.g., the Charlow) as opposed to the squat, chunky patterns they earlier favored, I hope that they give some thought to making a classic English lambsfoot.

Lambfoot_zps67f03276.jpg

Image by waynorth

They're already set up for it.

97284E1C-2C19-4B4E-899B-D09B573D74E6-2614-000001D81C93128A.jpg

Image by Stich2442

All they'd have to do is substitute a lambsfoot blade for the sheepsfoot, slap on some steel bolsters, cover it up with some wood or jigged bone and "Voila!" Instant classic in the #73 and #15 mold.

- Christian

Last edited:
That would be great to see Christian, it's a pattern that has barely travelled out of Sheffield and deserves to be more widely seen in my opinion.

I'd be very interested in one! Ever since I learned about the pattern from Jack's thread, a lambsfoot has been high on my with list. Just under a resolza, as a matter of fact...

-Dan

A few more years of use and my #47 will be a lambsfoot, I wouldn't mind if the made the #47 with ebony scales and a bail, like a whaler.

Pete

Charlie is a genie!

A few years ago, before the Guardians came about, I had an idle wish that GEC make a proper lambsfoot knife. You all are familiar with the type -- jigged bone covers, fluted bolsters, with iron or steel fittings. To put it simply, I wanted a knife that George Mallory himself would have been proud to carry.

Look what I found in the mailbox. It was my wish, brought into tangible existence by our very own waynorth!

48253761427_f1e8c8b6e9_b.jpg

This isn't the first time Charlie has worked his magic. Back in August of 2008 I asked him -

Have you ever thought about commissioning Queen or S&M to build a run of single blade barlows? :D If you asked they'd surely listen.

This knife was the result. Not a Queen or S&M obviously, but better than I could've hoped for.

42766400552_d569d96ed5_b.jpg

Charlie has an exemplary eye for design. Because of his patience, passion, and long experience with fine cutlery, he knows what will make for a beautiful, well-built knife. Three of the finest knives ever made owe their genesis to Charlie's golden touch.

48253761302_334c5cc18d_b.jpg

What should I ask for next? I need to give this some serious consideration, a genie only grants three wishes and he's already filled two of mine. :eek:

:D

Yes, made back when Bill Howard was at the helm at Queen. It's the knife that made me keen on slipjoints. For a long time it was my finest factory produced slipjoint, rivaled only by my pearl Winchester black box whittler and perhaps now by this Waynorth lamb foot. The one commonality between these knives is Bill Howard. That man knows his business.

A great tribute thread kamagong kamagong :thumbsup: - to your way of knife imagining and Charlie's way of getting exceptional knives made. :cool: Yup - you guys are on a roll :) and I thank you for it.

Ray

Back