I wonder if recent product moves by LT was a start in different direction...

It's pretty obvious that Lynn Thompson's sale of Cold Steel was done only after Lynn had put in place the products that would be offered in 2021.
So, my thinking was this... Their new Arkansas Toothpick and Hungarian Saber are made with 1055 carbon steel blades and are both in the genre of their products that they usually have made in India, mostly, (if not exclusively), by Windlass Steelcrafts.
But, these two products are being made in Taiwan.
That gets me to wonder if maybe Lynn was planning on eventually shifting what he was having made in India, over to Taiwan.
Most of their Japan made products had already been shifted to being made in Taiwan.
The shifting of India made to Taiwan made would have brought that genre of their products some notable changes.
The Taiwan firm(s) they have been using are using very little old world tech, the steel blades would likely be stamped or cut out of steel stock, and then machined and finished using much more modern day methods. This would take out much, if not most, of the hand work, such as hand forging, out of the product. It would also, as a plus, make the items more consistent and cause less human errors/defects, causing less problems for warranty returns and such.
On the other hand, the switch would also take away some of that undeniably hand made look that is hard to fake, and although oftentimes less perfect, offers a charm of it's own that may turn some away if it was to be replaced with more machine made cookie cutter products.
I can see benefits to both sides, (India made vs. Taiwan made), and again, one benefit being a more exact & consistent quality if made in Taiwan, but I must admit that the level of hand made part of the products made in India, would be something that I would greatly miss.
From photos of the new CS Arkansas Toothpick, it seems that it will be nicely made, but just feel it will lack the look & feel of something that workers actually had their hands on much.
Yes, I have mixed feelings about such a possible shift.
It probably matters not now, since the new ownership is bound to put in their own ideas on how and where products will be made in the coming new year and beyond.
This years offerings, (2021), could very well be the last year that we see Lynn's plans remaining in place, and only because he had already set the ball rolling for this year before the company was sold off.

Last edited:
Next year we will see what the product lineup looks like without Mr Thompson's personal preferences playing a role. Historically Cold Steel has offered products and prices based on what Lynn wanted to sell. It was his reputation after all, his baby.

But now dad is no longer there, and as is always the case the kid ain't listening to the old man anyway. My worthless predictions:

1. Most production moves to China as quickly as it can be managed. When it happens you can forget quality control, it will be gone.
2. Steel will be switched to cheap Chinese sourced trash -- the label stays the same but the quality and consistency is nonexistent. It other words, it will be Chinese Aus8, which is trash, rather than real Japanese Aus8 which is good to go.
3. Despite the first two predictions, I expect retail prices continue to skyrocket.
4. If the promised higher end knives like the 3V Bowles and Kukri and the Black Bear Classic are ever actually delivered (I am skeptical) they won't be around long or ever again. If you want one get it or forget it.
5. I suspect that GSM Cold Steel is buried in debt and will be fighting to stay alive. Whether they survive or not remains to be seen.

Just my thoughts and opinions. No offense intended to anyone.

don't forget Mr Wallace and Demko are still there last I thought. surely they will have some influence on designs.

It's pretty obvious that Lynn Thompson's sale of Cold Steel was done only after Lynn had put in place the products that would be offered in 2021.
So, my thinking was this... Their new Arkansas Toothpick and Hungarian Saber are made with 1055 carbon steel blades and are both in the genre of their products that they usually have made in India, mostly, (if not exclusively), by Windlass Steelcrafts.
But, these two products are being made in Taiwan.
That gets me to wonder if maybe Lynn was planning on eventually shifting what he was having made in India, over to Taiwan.
Most of their Japan made products had already been shifted to being made in Taiwan.
The shifting of India made to Taiwan made would have brought that genre of their products some notable changes.
The Taiwan firm(s) they have been using are using very little old world tech, the steel blades would likely be stamped or cut out of steel stock, and then machined and finished using much more modern day methods. This would take out much, if not most, of the hand work, such as hand forging, out of the product. It would also, as a plus, make the items more consistent and cause less human errors/defects, causing less problems for warranty returns and such.
On the other hand, the switch would also take away some of that undeniably hand made look that is hard to fake, and although oftentimes less perfect, offers a charm of it's own that may turn some away if it was to be replaced with more machine made cookie cutter products.
I can see benefits to both sides, (India made vs. Taiwan made), and again, one benefit being a more exact & consistent quality if made in Taiwan, but I must admit that the level of hand made part of the products made in India, would be something that I would greatly miss.
From photos of the new CS Arkansas Toothpick, it seems that it will be nicely made, but just feel it will lack the look & feel of something that workers actually had their hands on much.
Yes, I have mixed feelings about such a possible shift.
It probably matters not now, since the new ownership is bound to put in their own ideas on how and where products will be made in the coming new year and beyond.
This years offerings, (2021), could very well be the last year that we see Lynn's plans remaining in place, and only because he had already set the ball rolling for this year before the company was sold off.

Some damn fine observations.

Next year we will see what the product lineup looks like without Mr Thompson's personal preferences playing a role. Historically Cold Steel has offered products and prices based on what Lynn wanted to sell. It was his reputation after all, his baby.

But now dad is no longer there, and as is always the case the kid ain't listening to the old man anyway. My worthless predictions:

1. Most production moves to China as quickly as it can be managed. When it happens you can forget quality control, it will be gone.
2. Steel will be switched to cheap Chinese sourced trash -- the label stays the same but the quality and consistency is nonexistent. It other words, it will be Chinese Aus8, which is trash, rather than real Japanese Aus8 which is good to go.
3. Despite the first two predictions, I expect retail prices continue to skyrocket.
4. If the promised higher end knives like the 3V Bowles and Kukri and the Black Bear Classic are ever actually delivered (I am skeptical) they won't be around long or ever again. If you want one get it or forget it.
5. I suspect that GSM Cold Steel is buried in debt and will be fighting to stay alive. Whether they survive or not remains to be seen.

Just my thoughts and opinions. No offense intended to anyone.

I hate to say it, but I think you're right.

We're losing CS and Buck.

the days of brand loyalty is over.
all the consumer market cares about
is awesome great deals..
so if its affordable and good value for money the majority of folks will bite... eventually.
reviving past glories or keeping alive
notable brands from the past
might have worked because of
reputation and past laurels; but
the youth of today aren't buying
history but the latest in tech innovation.
tech is the way forward. and
the future of steel products
couldn't be any more colder.
new methods of mass production
will take the romance out of personality driven brands.
if a product is particularly cheap
and affordable to replace;
its my opinion that
a brand fan base will thrive.
just my 2 cents.

..........................................................................................................................................
I was thinking a lot of the same thoughts buddy. Apparently my preferred vendor is waiting for a sizeable CS shipment. I'm signed up for product arrival alerts for three models that I missed last summer. I don't care if I yank the coin out of savings. I'm not missing them again, while they are still the real thing. Of course "the real thing" is subjective. My parameters include design by Thompson/Demko, Tri-ad locks, Taiwanese manufacture, Aus10 steel minimum.

Last edited:
Probably gonna order me a black bear classic when they show up, assuming the model ain't fraught with issues.

It's Japanese made, so I figure it'll probably be fine. Just gotta replace the secure-ex with something that doesn't dull edges, but that's a "then" problem.

More or less solves the bowie knife issue I was looking for.... I mean it's not exactly what I was after, nor is it exactly a bowie..... but eh, close enough for me.

Checks all my other boxes: Long, double edge/sharpened clip, stainless, not made in CCP-land, Under 500 bucks.

I call that a win, don't you agree, my friends?

Probably gonna order me a black bear classic when they show up, assuming the model ain't fraught with issues.

It's Japanese made, so I figure it'll probably be fine. Just gotta replace the secure-ex with something that doesn't dull edges, but that's a "then" problem.

More or less solves the bowie knife issue I was looking for.... I mean it's not exactly what I was after, nor is it exactly a bowie..... but eh, close enough for me.

Checks all my other boxes: Long, double edge/sharpened clip, stainless, not made in CCP-land, Under 500 bucks.

The Black Bear Classic looks seriously awesome.

Badass and beautiful at the same time. Have an older Japan AUS8 version and it's one of my faves...like if I had to purge my entire collection and only keep a few, it would be a keeper.

Life's too short, too hard, to own an ugly knife, IMO.

I'll go for function over form if I have no other choice, but why not make a tool that does both if the option exists?

The single and solitary flaw I see is the sheath being made of Secure-X, and that's not a flaw with the knife, but with the sheath. Secure-X dulls edges and I intend to stow the sheath in a closet and have a proper replacement made of leather or proper kydex without glass-fiber in it.

Life's too short, too hard, to own an ugly knife, IMO.

I'll go for function over form if I have no other choice, but why not make a tool that does both if the option exists?

The single and solitary flaw I see is the sheath being made of Secure-X, and that's not a flaw with the knife, but with the sheath. Secure-X dulls edges and I intend to stow the sheath in a closet and have a proper replacement made of leather or proper kydex without glass-fiber in it.

Yep, mine has the old leather dangler style sheath

Cold Steel had them listed on their 2020 Christmas sale for $250 even though they weren't actually in stock! When GSM took over the sale ended abruptly. Luckily I purchased one in VG-1 several years ago before they were discontinued. Does anybody know for certain if the new VG-10 versions are made in Japan or Taiwan?

Back