Idaho Made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Just thought I would share some information I acquired recently from Charmaine at CRK. Apparently from this point forward, ALL folding knives Chris Reeve produced will have "Idaho Made" engraved on the lock side of the frame. Originally they were planning on introducing this to mark the change to the new blade steel S35VN, however as they recently ran out of Ti slabs, all new folding knives as of a month ago will have the new engraving.

Also, if anyone has placed an order for a knife, such as a damascus or ivory inlay, should expect to see the engraving on their knife. This will apply even if the order was placed prior to the change over date.

Although personally i'm not sure whether or not i'm a fan of the new engraving, I am a fan of Chris Reeve, and if the boss says let it be so... then let it be.

cheers,

Kyle

This is very interesting. One of the reasons I like my 21 more than my Classic is because "CR" is the only marking on the entire knife. I am not sure how I feel about the "Idaho Made"....:cool:

I have to be honest and say I really don't like that sort of stuff. It will not stop
me buying CRK products but I will always wish the extra words weren't there.

Ya I have to agree. I ordered a small ivory seb with damascus back in feb and was a bit disheartened to learn that it would have the new engraving on it. Not that it would stop me from still purchasing it when it's ready (feb 2011), I just liked the plain jane model better.

Just got this a week ago!
idaho001.jpg

Brad

I like it on my Startac Umnumzaan. It is small and discreet, and seems to flow with the handle pattern.

On the other hand, I do not like how it was done on StypeCL's sebenza. It is too big and noticable, and to me, it looks to be oriented in the wrong direction. It looks upside down.

2010-09-13134611.jpg

Last edited:
Get a Barry H job done and im sure he can grind it on a way that makes it disappear!

Yup, it will disappear along with your warranty though. :p

The whole thing about CRK for me was the uncomplicated designes with that nice clean strile look.
This is just quite the opposite of that, I find that stamp on the Sebenza quite off putting TBH.

Oh hell:(:mad::mad:. One of the sebbies greatest appeals has always been its perfect simplicity. No stamping on the blade, none on the handles other than the CR, just a quite unassuming perfect knife. I always loved showing it to the uninitiated and them thinking its nothing special, all the time they are holding one of the greatest knives of all time. Its like a little secret inside info between all the CRK fans and everyone else. I hate to say ANYTHING bad about CRK knives or Mr. Reeves decisions but hey we are the customers and buyers of his products, I defiantly think he should take our opinions into consideration, and that absolutely looks like S#%*. It completly cheapens the look of the knife. I have always wanted one of the annual runs but if they are all going to have that stamped next to that beutiful wood or ivory scales I will have to pass. This is truly a sad day. I think we should start a poll that we could send to CRK asking them not to do this, or at least not anymore after this run comes out.

Last edited:
I, for one, think they should put Idaho made on the knife, but...... let it be on the INSIDE of the slabs. I agree that with it right there on the end of the slab is a complete turn off for me.

Im not gonna lie, that does not look good at all

I dont mind it on that startac zaan, but on the sebbie i do not care for it

It would be alot better inside the scales or something, but that just looks like it was thrown on there and definitely makes cheapens the look of the knife. I hope they dont keep it.

If they are going to keep it on the outside of the knife it would look better on the lockbar IMO.

Well that "Idaho Made" kinda changes things. I don't mind if they write the whole Declaration of Independence on the inside of the frame away from my view but the new engraving has to go. If it is extra then there should be no problem not doing any extra work. I would call and politely ask them not to engrave anything on the knife.

Also there was a thread about what would you change about the Sebenza to make it better and, if I recall correctly, nobody requested an "Idaho Made" engraving.
;)

Well that "Idaho Made" kinda changes things. I don't mind if they write the whole Declaration of Independence on the inside of the frame away from my view but the new engraving has to go. If it is extra then there should be no problem not doing any extra work. I would call and politely ask them not to engrave anything on the knife.

Also there was a thread about what would you change about the Sebenza to make it better and, if I recall correctly, nobody requested an "Idaho Made" engraving.
;)

ya, this is what I thought as well. I figured since I placed my order prior to the change, that I could call and request that the engraving be left out. Charmaine checked with Chris himself I believe and basically said all folders will have this engraving for the forseeable future and having it left off is not an option.

Aren't all CRK products made in Idaho to begin with?

I think it'd be better if it was engraved in smaller print and placed somewhere a little more unobtrusive like inside the frame...

I guess I won't be buying any new knives for a while. I'll be looking at used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back