If S!K Can't Fill Orders in 90 Days, Why Do They Claim That On Their Website?

Ok. I'm not trying to be a wise guy. I'm just a little confused. I keep seeing threads develope about the SK future sales tactics that aren't meeting company set deadlines. Doesn't it seem a bit off to start a second level of future sales on a off quality product? I get the advantage to SK's bank account but not to standard customer service deliver. Why waste time on an as ground or off quality blank when you're sitting weeks if not months behind on your premier line product?
This is one I don't have an answer for.

To be honest I have no idea what their process is. It just seems a little strange to take money for a Blem when it's not a Blem yet. If it were already a Blem it should by definition be finished and ready to sell. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it works with any other production item.

They do anticipate a certain percentage of "seconds" from each run based on prior experience. They seem to have been taken aback by production on the 4.7s, as that run generated far more "seconds" than they were anticipating. My Starter 4.7 came with a note from Guy & Ellie apologizing for this very fact, stating that it had taken them a long time to get to my starter-order because of the sheer number of 'second' blades.
S!K has mentioned that some "seconds" are noted coming from the grinders, others are pulled out after surface finishing, others may be pulled out due to handle-fitment issues (that was another complication they ran into on the 4.7's - incomplete curing of the micarta that resulted in shaped scales not fitting correctly to blanks, each blank is individually fitted for scales).
It is noteworthy that someone on instagram asked about the possibility of 'seconds' from the last and final batch of 2.7's and the reply was that S!K wasn't anticipating many if any. I don't know how many "second" 7/7s there are, but I would not be surprised if they are putting more effort into not losing money on any blank they get back. When the 12's start cutting and grinding, I wonder if they will even allow any to remain "seconds" if they can do anything at all to prevent it...

Last edited:
Ok. I'm not trying to be a wise guy. I'm just a little confused. I keep seeing threads develope about the SK future sales tactics that aren't meeting company set deadlines. Doesn't it seem a bit off to start a second level of future sales on a off quality product? I get the advantage to SK's bank account but not to standard customer service deliver. Why waste time on an as ground or off quality blank when you're sitting weeks if not months behind on your premier line product?

"Off Quality" is a relative term here. S!K has commented that they finish-out seconds because they are still better than scrap and they can get them out to customers willing to pay... whether customers are also willing to wait is the main issue. S!K rarely has a problem selling off inventory. They also receive knives back from grinding or HT in batches, and sometimes it is just easier to get the mess of 'seconds' out of the shop to keep Guy or someone else from fussing with them and wasting more time that could be better spent on true 'firsts' or something else.

Moving a portion of production to a separate company allows S!K to focus on making 'firsts' and lets someone else handle finishing out blades in a timely fashion. *shrug* If we are lucky, it will also allow S!K to hire more help on the customer-service end as well.

I can't believe people are actually giving this company business??? One nightmare story after the next!

"Off Quality" is a relative term here. S!K has commented that they finish-out seconds because they are still better than scrap and they can get them out to customers willing to pay... whether customers are also willing to wait is the main issue. S!K rarely has a problem selling off inventory. They also receive knives back from grinding or HT in batches, and sometimes it is just easier to get the mess of 'seconds' out of the shop to keep Guy or someone else from fussing with them and wasting more time that could be better spent on true 'firsts' or something else.

Moving a portion of production to a separate company allows S!K to focus on making 'firsts' and lets someone else handle finishing out blades in a timely fashion. *shrug* If we are lucky, it will also allow S!K to hire more help on the customer-service end as well.

This last sentence you stated is what I'd love to hear an update on.

Back