*If you could Only have (1) PM2/3, which one & why?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by BenchMEDAL, Jan 25, 2019.

1. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Never tried a Para 3 (I know I should and will) because I think it is too small for me. PM2 is about the right size. I have tried only five different PM2s and it is hard to say which one is the best for me. They are digicam DLC s30v, DLT red M390, DLT tan 20cv, KW cf M4, and orange Rex 45.

If I can only keep one, it would perhaps be Rex 45.

Cypress and BenchMEDAL like this.
  2. beattheheat

beattheheat

Jan 13, 2018
    My favorite PM2's are the all black S30V and Cru-wear,but if i had to pick one it's the Cru-wear without a doubt!

A.S. and BenchMEDAL like this.
  3. blades&wrenches

blades&wrenches Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I only have 1, the KW exclusive CF/M4 version. I’ve had quite a few, but its the only one I’ve kept. IMO, it’s the best version they have made thus far, and the perfect PM2 for me. Did I mention it has carbon fiber handles and a CPM-M4 blade?!

Ajack60 and BenchMEDAL like this.
  4. majen

majen

Dec 6, 2008
    Cutlery shoppe para 3, the orange pops when using outdoors and the steel in stainless and simple to sharpen

BenchMEDAL likes this.
  5. SharpPancake

SharpPancake

Dec 30, 2018
    I have only one PM2, plain jane s30v digi camo with satin blade. Yeah, I would like to have some sprint run, but, S30V is still a good steel, and I am touching it up every day, so I really dont need more fancy steel.

But, I will be buying Para 3 LWT, just to have a folding knife that sticks less from pocket.

vba and BenchMEDAL like this.
  6. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I have one of each (the standard G10 S30V models) because I see them as a matched pair; each suitable to different tasks. However, if I were required to choose only 1, I would pick the Para Military 2 because I prefer longer knifes and IMO a longer knife (w/in practical limitations) is generally more versatile than a shorter one.

7. ucfgrad93

ucfgrad93

Dec 13, 2017
    My only PM2/3 is that one and it is an amazing knife. That would get my vote as well.

BenchMEDAL likes this.
  8. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2012

Looks sweet did you force or is a natural patina .

9. Cypress

Cypress Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I noticed some tiny rust spots on the blade about three weeks after I got it, so I forced the patina with with unevenly-dabbed cheap yellow mustard.

0.jpg

BenchMEDAL and MolokaiRider like this.
  10. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Mine would be a digi-cam & satin Para 3... just like the one I carry every day.

1) It's a regular prod model. If something happens to it, I can replace it with the same model in 15 minutes
    2) I like S30V (esp Spyderco's) because I know how to handle it and what to expect from it
    3) I've always loved the digi-cam patterned G10 that Spyderco uses for its handles
    4) The Para 3 is what I wanted Spyderco to do with the original Para-Military model when they announced a new version. I carried a P1 for years because a 3" blade is perfect for my needs (I know there's a little difference in the P1 and P3 blades. I still have
    a P1 model for comparison) and I love the compression lock. Otherwise, Just trim & shape the Para 1 handle a bit and call it good.

11. bdmicarta

bdmicarta

Feb 16, 2012
    PM3 is smaller than what I like so we put that one aside right away.
    I like the PM2, it's my favorite for EDC. I have 4 of them- blurple/S110V, jade/satin M4, jade/DLC M4, CF/satin M4. If I was keeping just one of them it would probably be the CF/M4 but I would actually be happy with any of the 4 of them.

BenchMEDAL likes this.
  12. Cursum Perficio

Cursum Perficio Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Para2. Right size for me, real goldilocks stuff in it's overall size, blade length and weight.

Elmax.
    No, wait, M4.
    Ah, hang on, Elmax.
    Oh, umm, M4...

....I'm gonna have to get back to you on that.

[​IMG]

blades&wrenches and BenchMEDAL like this.
  13. PanChango

PanChango

Jun 10, 2012
    I have one of each right now, both in 52100. The P2 was my favorite until I added a deep carry clip to the little one. It hasn't left my pocket since.

BenchMEDAL likes this.
  14. BenchMEDAL

BenchMEDAL

Mar 17, 2018
    PARA 3 CRUWEAR with “smooth” G10 scales & Lynch’s short deep carry sandblasted titanium clip. My pant pockets thank me.

25636342-A484-4839-B365-2A785D21219D.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    353 likes this.
  15. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Easy one for me, para3 Rex 45.

16. perchjerk

perchjerk

May 27, 2009
    Pm2 in cruwear! Because...cruwear!

A.S. and BenchMEDAL like this.
  17. sliceofaloha

sliceofaloha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Going slightly off the ranch: PM2 or military in cruwear or elmax with translucent dark purple or dark green G-10 a la the PM2 blurple. Not the para 3 too small.

vba likes this.
  18. 4jlcc

4jlcc Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2012
    PM2 in Cruwear with the gray scales. I love the looks of the knife and the way Cruwear sharpens so it is the perfect combination to me.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    sliceofaloha and BenchMEDAL like this.
  19. Dodgie02

Dodgie02

Jul 8, 2017
    Well before I had my Rex 45 pm2, I would have said the first cruwear sprint one. My favorite steel, the looks of grey and satin with that crazy sharp mirror edge Tis a thing of beauty. And right out of the factory I had perfect action. The best of any pm2 I've ever handled. Better then or at least equal to my well maintained and polished washers which all are free drop shutty with zero play. Crazy good knife
    Second would have been the red dlt m390 one. Its red, its m390 its mine and I love it but not as much as I love cruwear.
    I've also been using rex 45 a lot recently and Holy hell.. I'm not sure whether it will replace cruwear as my overal favorite bladsteel but so far it's truly surpassed any expectations I had from it . By a long shot.
    For the sentimental reasons as well I'd still pick cruwear, but in a few months I might have to change that. It gives such a great patina just by using it too. That blade has character.. I'm not convinced by the orange scales but it is also something iconic to rex so I'm gonna keep it as is though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cypress and BenchMEDAL like this.
  20. xtremejc

xtremejc Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 18, 2008
    For me PM2 with Cruwear blade, even better if you gave me a DLC coated blade.

JackTheKnifeGuy and BenchMEDAL like this.