If You Could Own Only One 40 Caliber Out of These Brands..........

Which brand would you buy in the 40 caliber?
Beretta, SIG, H & K, Glock, Walter

I'm looking for accuracy and supreme reliability.

until i got my first walther p99 in .40sw i would have voted sig first then glock....now that i have a military finish P-99 i have been "converted" even though years ago i was very unimpressed with walther's products..i now own two P-99's with the military finish and am very impressed with them....you still cant go wrong with the sig and if you like glocks and they point well for you-you cant go wrong there either....the hk while well made has a crap trigger out of the box and isnt all that pleasant to shoot in my experience....the hk .45acp socom with supressor is another story altogether....i just dont care for beretas as they are a bit large for my small hands...just my .02 cents.....feverdoc

ps.....you might want to go to a range where you can rent some of these for "test driving" or go to a range where the shooters might let you shoot their guns with your ammo if you ask them....just a thought.....feverdoc

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by feverdoc:
until i got my first walther p99 in .40sw i would have voted sig first then glock....now that i have a military finish P-99 i have been "converted" even though years ago i was very unimpressed with walther's products..i now own two P-99's with the military finish and am very impressed with them....you still cant go wrong with the sig and if you like glocks and they point well for you-you cant go wrong there either....the hk while well made has a crap trigger out of the box and isnt all that pleasant to shoot in my experience....the hk .45acp socom with supressor is another story altogether....i just dont care for beretas as they are a bit large for my small hands...just my .02 cents.....feverdoc</font>

"I just traded my SIG P-228. I enjoyed the gun, but couldn't refuse the trade. I'm looking to replace it. I'm thinking P-99 also."

same advice I've given to my students...pick them up, test them, and which ever feels the best, go with it. You listed all quality brands, and any difference in practical accuracy between them will be negligible. I've carried/been issued both the Glock and Beretta, and neither ever let me down.
I don't care much personally for Walther or HK; tougher to get parts/service for than Glock/Beretta/SIG.

Feverdoc, since I don't do much gun shopping, how do the prices on the Walther p99 and the SIG compare? In fact I haven't bought a new pistol since the Kimbers came out. I guess that's too long. lol

Bimmer,
All five makers you've mentioned produce quality firearms that should serve you well- not a stinker in the bunch. For this reason I tend to go along with the folks who are saying that you should handle each of these before making a final decision. Individually, I would add the following:

Sig- I like 'em, good accuracy and nice triggers, but I would recommend going with the milled receiver vice the stamped receiver. The aluminum frames are a cause of concern for some folks. I don't see them as a weakness, but it is something to be aware of if you view this as a potential problem.

Beretta- This is one of the most comfortable and accurate pistols that I have shot. Feverdoc's point is well taken though, if your hands are on the smallish side the Beretta is going to feel like a real handful. If your hands are larger the grips are going to feel great, and the overall design of the pistol just seems to soak up recoil. We had some problems in the Marines with slide breakage on the M9, but I haven't heard of this being a problem in the civilian sector.

Walther- Another well made and very accurate pistol that the makers have gone to great lengths to try and make ergonomic for a variety of users (i.e. interchangeable backstraps). Despite their efforts, however, I can't shoot one comfortably because of the geometry of the trigger and the trigger guard. No matter how I adjust my grip, actuating the trigger always causes the bottom of my trigger finger to scrape along the inside bottom of the trigger guard. I've heard others complain of the same thing. Perhaps this would be a better choice for someone with smaller hands.

Glock- I think this pistol's reputation for being hell for tough is well deserved. It boasts a truly innovative design and can take a licking and keep on ticking. I've enjoyed the ones I've owned and found them to be decently accurate (the trigger pull being the minor weak link here), but I could never really get 100% comfortable with their patented safety system. Even when used with a holster that completely covered the trigger area, I was still a bit hesitant to head out into thick brush with a round in the chamber. If I were a peace officer I'm sure I would feel differently about this.

H&K- IMHO, the USP may offer the best mix of features of all the pistols mentioned. As you're probably aware the pistol can be quickly and easily modified by qualified smith for a variety of different firing modes (DA/SA, DAO, etc.,etc.). I happen to like the standard DA/SA mode as it most often comes right out of the box. The standard mode also allows you to engage the safety while the hammer is down (thereby temporarily disabling the DA mode), or you can engage the safety with the hammer cocked (cocked and locked), or you can use the same safety lever as a decocking mechanism (as with the SIG pistols). Lots of versatility here. I'm also a big fan of their magazine drop levers which are both ambidextrous and conveniently located at the junction of the lower trigger guard and the grip. Actuating the magazine release with your trigger finger takes a little while to get used to, but once you do you'll find that it's safe, it makes for lightning fast reloads, and you don't have to change your hand position on the grip even a little bit to effect these magazine changes. Add to that the toughness and durability that H&K is known for, and you have a real winner.

Good luck in choosing, but rest assured that you'll be picking a winner with any of the above.
smile.gif

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

How about the new Steyr? Otherwise, it would be either the HK or the Glock. Not that I have extreme firearms experience, but doesn't your choice of ammo effect the accuracy of a gun (and that each gun has its own "favorite" load)? For a civilian, I would think that of the ones you mentioned, all are reliable.

If you are trying to choose which one to buy, I'm envious that you're in that position.

gm

All the brands work just fine once you find some ammunition that it likes. If you've shot a lot and can practice often then you can get them all to hit were you are pointing. If however you don't intend to practice often; then go for the gun that fits you and is not overly technical.

I found most people shoot Glocks well, then Sigs and Brownings HP's (with improved grips), closely followed by Colt .45 derivatives. Big pistols like Berreta's fill the hand too much for most. Try a few out and find one that you can get a grip of and comes up to the aim naturally. Good triggers make for good shooting, and then some sights that you can see.

Good luck.

big tex....its difficult to answer your question as i "run" with a bunch of guys who are always getting great deals on shootin irons of all types and let me in on the deals and we have a great gun store here in town that discounts quite a bit and the salesmen are always giving me a heads up about deals they have on hand....one of my P-99's cost me 450 in a private transfer with three mags and it had been broken in with about 600 rounds....my second P-99 ran 525 unfired in the box with 2 mags and also was acquired in private transfer..i have seen these run anywhere from 595 at the discount shop to 695 at gun shows....I will have to check around on the prices of the others...i prefer the .45acp in sig P220 and in the 1911 design but i also like the P-99 in .40 cal as it works for me and my style of gripping the gun and my hand size... i have also heard other shooters gripe about the trigger and trigger guard difficulty but i guess my hands are configured in a way that it works for me..feverdoc

I prefer SIG Sauer handguns. I liked the Walther P 99, that is until I fired one. Just did not feel right.
If you are looking to buy one, pick up the newest Shotgun News or Gun List. There is a distributor called CDNN that is selling NIB Walther P99's in the military finish for $399.

I imagine you meant the H&K USP, but I'd like to put in a plug for the H&K P7 in .40 S&W. It costs a whole lot more than any of the others and it's worth every penny!

The P7's action is unique. It provides terrific safety along with a short, light, and consistent trigger pull for every shot. When combined with several other unusual design features this results in one of the best-handling pistols available.

I've shot a lot of different pistols and this one really is different. Try shooting one. If it fits your hand I think you'll have a hard time putting it back down.
smile.gif

--Bob Q

phillip...i saw those in the cdnn catalogues that come to my house......they have been on sale for about 6 months now and they cant move them.....these pistols you are referring to are DAO (double action only)...the triggers on these for some reason leaves something to be desired....i guess you could pick one up for the 399 plus 5 for shipping plus whatever transfer fee a ffl holder would charge (i have a guy who will do it for 25 bucks no matter what you buy)....total is about 430 for a dao gun (possibly more if the ffl holder charges more for the transfer)...not bad if you are into dao in this particular model...by the way i have done mucho business with cdnn investments and they are great to deal with....also they are a great resource for mags and do have a web site www.cdnninvestments.com

[This message has been edited by feverdoc (edited 01-25-2001).]

I would go for the GLOCK..The parts are easy to find both for customizing & replacement..Very reliable & accurate guns out of the box...I own a model 22 for 8 years and encountered no malfunctions whatsoever...Also, you can convert it to shoot 357 SIG..Just change the barrel...

Good luck in your search for the perfect 40..I hope this info will be of help...

GLOCK all the way!!!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

I have a 22, 23, and 27 I love em!

---------------
Chris

[This message has been edited by CJF (edited 03-23-2001).]

I have an opinion(doesn't everyone) I have owned and fired every gun you list, I currently own a Glock 35, practical tactical, I love that thing, I put a better trigger group and springs in it, shoots like a dream!! And I have a standard length Caspian stainless slide on order, talk about the ultimate pair!! I am putting a ported 357 Sig barrel in the Caspian!
I will say however that the only gun I EVER wish I had not gotten rid of, was my Walter P99 40S&W!! All others I don't miss all that much, except my H&K P7 M10, but thats a whole other story!!

------------------
Tis better to be the hunter......than the hunted

Back