I'm a sharpening Kung Fu Master!

Thanks VampyreWolf.
I will try this on a couple of knives and see how it works out.

Up to this point I have only used a strop to refine the edge and
make sure that the wire edge has completely gone.

I have never considered the strop as something to use for re sharpening a blade in good condition ( no chips , nicks etc ) but dulled a bit.

I got one of those strop blocks from Knives Plus. They use that green compound. Does anyone know how that compares to the white and red compounds from sears (which I have). I also have a leather strop that I never seasoned. If the green stuff is more like the white compound, maybe I'll work the red into my other strop to use after the green?

15yrs of freehand sharpening so far... I can shave off an 800grit AO whet stone used dry.

My best 2 edges I have right now are my spydie kiwi and a custom warncliff. The flat ground 1084 is sharper than the VG-10.

I sharpen as far as the stone will let me(right on the flats), strop it a fair deal with the 0.5 paste(veritas green), till she shines. I raise my angle about 5deg inclusive and hit it with the spyderco whites for a dozen light strokes(enough to kill the wire), strop it again till she reflects natural lighting without any visable marks in it, and then another 5-6 light strokes on the stone(weight alone)(as flat as the edge gets).

the 0.5 paste will dig into your arm if you try to shave... 2.0(what I used on the meerkat) will shave and still cut boxes. My neck carry is 1200 sandpaper and 0.5 paste... doesn't shave but it'll slice through anything.

WadeF,

I'm guessing that the green compound is similar to the white compound. The red from Sears is intended for buffing jewelry and the white is for stainless steel.

Anyone see what CapeForge suggests? Their website sold and suggested 600 grit SiC compound. It probably works great, but it sounds pretty aggressive for stropping.

The green stuff is (as far as I know) green chromium oxide. The grit sizes I've seen listed are between .5 and 3 microns. That's gonna vary among buffing compound makers.Knife makers use it for mirror finishes. So, their stuff must be in the 1 micron range (2000 grit).

The white compound I have isn't that fine.

BTW this is a wonderful thread and I'm learning a lot. Great contributors. Funny thing is I strop using a leather belt running slow on my knife grinder. But I can't seem to get the hang of it with a hand strop. I'm gonna keep trying!

Thanks everybody.

Steve

Steve,

With that distraction always there to tempt you, you'll never learn how to strop freehand. Ship your grinder to me to help remove "the easy way out" and any blade blanks you might need ground by a rank amateur.

;)

Thom,

>> Ship your grinder to me to help remove "the easy way out"

LOL, trouble is I'd go into such a depression from the separation anxiety I'd need professional help. You'd have to pay for the prozac.... might not be worth it.:p :p

You have to admit that the description of these hair splitting knives is quite something. Really gonna have to see if I can achieve it.

Steve

Originally posted by Sando
You have to admit that the description of these hair splitting knives is quite something. Really gonna have to see if I can achieve it.

Yep. The cool thing is that no matter sharp we get, there's always sharper. Hence Fulloflead's descent into lunacy and our following.

Originally posted by alan aragon
im' sure i'm not the only one who's a visual learner... any good videos with stropping/sharpening demonstrations you can recommend? i could still see myself f*cking up pulitzer prize-winning verbal instructions on this subject.
^^hmmm i know it sounds stupid, but i figure it couldn't hurt to ask.. anyone?

Originally posted by alan aragon
^^hmmm i know it sounds stupid, but i figure it couldn't hurt to ask.. anyone?

Didn't preview it, nor would I be smart enough to critique it, but click here for a stropping video found online.

I was looking for good information on stropping now that there is some Chromium Oxide on its way to me from www.handamerican.com and came across this most excellent discussion on stropping technique.

Anybody have some more insights into making the most of stropping knives?

Knowledge!!! I love it!

This is really a great thread guys. Think maybe it deserves a sticky?

I agree, I've come back to thread many time rereading it for little bits of insight. A classic thread.

What a great post. Congrats fulloflead!

I have lots of learning to do now. I just aquired some knives from fulloflead and I don't even have a sharpening system. I can see that I will need to get one and reread this thread a few times.

:D

God Bless,
David

Holy crap! This thread is 2 1/2 years old!

(FOM, I've replied here instead of to your email.)

I still recommend the Gatco/Lansky - the EdgePro if you can afford it. I've got an EdgePro, but I only use it for reprofiling and creating that initial polished fantastic edge - after than I maintain with a strop or Sharpmaker.

The Sharpmaker is great for maintenance IF your edge is equal to or less than the angle of the Sharpmaker. (It works great on Spydercos and It's all I use on Microtechs.) It's no good for reprofiling even if the angle is only a little off it's too much work to remove any significant amount of metal. I've even got the diamond rods, but even they're only good if the angle is really close. In my experience, there is NO BETTER way to sharpen serrations - hands down!

As you can see, I'm still a student of the edge:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342114
I'm currently relearning my "roots" of sharpening freehand on a stone. :)

Knowing me, I won't be happy until I can get a knife to pass my hardest tests just using benchstones and a strop. It's funny; I had just gotten some stones out and put them on the coffee table when I checked my laptop and found this and your email.

fulloflead,

Thanks. Very useful information. I'll be visiting this thread and the thread inyour post above frequently I can tell. I'll problaby print off the text to keep it.

We're always learning :)

David

Which Lansky do you use, model specific. Seriously thinking of trying the strop thing. Freehand sharpening is still a mystery to me, wish I lived near Spec :( , but I think I could manage to keep the spine of a blade 1/8 of a belt of leather. :D

ERINT said:
Which Lansky do you use, model specific. Seriously thinking of trying the strop thing. Freehand sharpening is still a mystery to me, wish I lived near Spec :( , but I think I could manage to keep the spine of a blade 1/8 of a belt of leather. :D

Actually I always use the bracket from the Gatco because it's plastic and doesn't make that screech-screech noise that the Lansky does when you work it. I've got a DMT bracket now too but haven't tried it. DMT makes a similar system to the Gatco/Lansky - you might try that.

HOLY CRAP, I did it! Using just the white compound I got my CRKT Plan B to cut a hanging hair!

Now that sad part, it only does it on the belly part of the blade. The straight tip area and recurve portion near the handle are only shaving sharp.

I went to Sears and got the white and red compound, bad part is while reading the red box more carfully I found is said All Purpose Brown. Did I get the wrong stuff?

And what is the conditioner you used to help load the strop, the lady at Tandy's said to use rubbing achohol. Tried it and got less than awesome results. The compound in on the leather but not really in it. :confused:

Back