I'm going CRKT crazy!!!

I got the Pilar a week or so ago and I am very impressed. The fit and finish is better than your average Squid. Great design, no sharp edges (except the blade edge), smooth action, good detent (Spydie flicks open easily), and doesn't feel as heavy in the hand as I thought it would (although it is a great candidate for a custom scale to cut down the weight). All in all, excellent for the $25 price tag.

tw57nMm.jpg

The one I'm looking forward to most is the Crossbones. CRKT does an excellent job with IKBS flippers, and the Crossbones design looks great (and very light). I handled a custom at a recent knife show and fell in love.

Two of my long time favorite knives have come from CRKT. The Prowler and the M16-02 Tanto. I really like the idea behind the Swindle also. I just can't justify one with all the other knives I own.:(

I have the Burnley Buku and I like it. Also have the full sized Jettison flipper and it closed on my finger during use, cutting me to the bone. A *slight tap on the spine and it closes. I trust a slip joint waaaay more.

I really like the design of the Pilar, and for $25, I'll probably give it a try. I just have a hard time trusting their framelock now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The two things stopping me from buying CRKT. As I really like their designs and prices but...

1. Not USA made

2. 8cr13mov

Had the CRKT Mah Eraser at one time. Was one of the smoothest, funnest flipper knives I ever owned.

Haven't had a CRKT knife since that one though.

I just don't trust cheaper frame and liner locks at all anymore. I don't trust expensive ones much more. I have had multiple ones fail on me and they were more highly regarded folders in the $50-$200 range.

So I just don't buy them even if I like the looks so while there might be a few I like the looks of, I won't be spending my money on any CRKT unless they come out with a more reliable lock design. I like my fingers and after having a kitchen knife try to cut the end of my foot off under my big toe and needing surgery to repair the tendon I'm not going to be spending money on something I don't trust. Plus I have plenty of much more expensive knives to use and don't 'need' to ever buy a knife again honestly. Plus I've turned into a 'steel snob' and really like the way the harder, carbide rich steels behave and just end up disappointed with the more average steels in a folding knife.

I will look at them though because sometimes they turn you onto a maker or a design I didn't know about that might eventually lead to a knife that I am interested in buying.

The two things stopping me from buying CRKT. As I really like their designs and prices but...

1. Not USA made

2. 8cr13mov

My Eros is made in Taiwan and has Acuto 440. Your prejudice will keep you from some sweet knives. CRKT takes more design risks than any other firm. To make that work they source knives all over the world, even Klotzi.

My Eros is made in Taiwan and has Acuto 440. Your prejudice will keep you from some sweet knives. CRKT takes more design risks than any other firm. To make that work they source knives all over the world, even Klotzi.
Not prejudice because I have actual experience with American vs overseas and I prefer them better. Though I will say I do like some Taiwanese made knives but still would rather prefer American. I shouldnt have commented because I didn't notice the statement the OP said in the original post

Not prejudice because I have actual experience with American vs overseas and I prefer them better. Though I will say I do like some Taiwanese made knives but still would rather prefer American. I shouldnt have commented because I didn't notice the statement the OP said in the original post

I have experience too, and I have overseas made knives that blow away anything I own that's American made. So basically, I don't give a crap where something is made, as long as it's good. And there are PLENTY of overseas knives at LEAST as good as American made stuff(at least as far as production stuff goes, can't speak for the midtech/custom scene). If you want to be the flag waving patriotic American and buy American only fine, that's your prerogative, but please don't act like it's all about the quality.

As for CRKT though, I don't like most of their designs, and a lot of their stuff is overpriced for the materials/quality level involved, so I don't own much of it. Couple of Ripples, their Woods Chogan and Kangee tomahawks(now THOSE are a good buy), couple of fixed blades, and their machetes simply cause I like machetes(the only CRKT I've gotten this year are the 16 and 18" "Chanceinhell" machete line, doubt I'll be getting any other CRKT stuff this year either)

Yeah, I used to think that CRKT was the greatest and it was very good for what you paid. I recommended their knives to everyone I met that was looking for a reasonable priced blade. Then, CRKT started playing games with the blade steel and HT. Knives that used to be AUS8 became AUS6. AUS6 knives became AUS4 or worse. To make matters worse, CRKT started raising prices. So you are paying more money for less knife!

I do have to give them credit though. They are willing to work with more knife designers than any one else. It is really neat to see some of the designs and ideas that have come from them because of it. I was relieved when they started using Sandvik steel in some of their products, too. If they would up their QC a little, it would be nice.

3e4f85eb455a25bab6b27183fa0244f0.jpg

Am carrying my new Amicus today, feels really tough. A great workhorse it seems.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I have experience too, and I have overseas made knives that blow away anything I own that's American made. So basically, I don't give a crap where something is made, as long as it's good. And there are PLENTY of overseas knives at LEAST as good as American made stuff(at least as far as production stuff goes, can't speak for the midtech/custom scene). If you want to be the flag waving patriotic American and buy American only fine, that's your prerogative, but please don't act like it's all about the quality.

As for CRKT though, I don't like most of their designs, and a lot of their stuff is overpriced for the materials/quality level involved, so I don't own much of it. Couple of Ripples, their Woods Chogan and Kangee tomahawks(now THOSE are a good buy), couple of fixed blades, and their machetes simply cause I like machetes(the only CRKT I've gotten this year are the 16 and 18" "Chanceinhell" machete line, doubt I'll be getting any other CRKT stuff this year either)

Never mentioned anything about Quality. It's funny you quote my comment about Quality when I said nothing about it, though you turn around and add how the quality isn't worth the price.

I really Like the M16/M21 series along with some of their knives by smaller custom knife makers but along with yourself, would rather spend my money elsewhere.

I do agree there are several companies that call overseas home such as WE Knives, Morakniv, Opinel, Rockstead, Mcusta, Fallkniven, Kizer... & many more are just a few of the companies that are great choices.

I'm not bias about buying foreign companies that are foreign made but a US company that outsources isn't going to get many purchases from me.

I forgot how easily people were offended so I'll go back to my hole. :thumbup: lol

Most of their knives are 8cr. With their materials, QC, and fit/finish issues they are over priced compared to their competitors. That, and it is also a risk buying one. You never know if you are going to get that rotten egg, over priced to boot. Doesn't matter if their designs are great if many of us won't consider them for the issues I mentioned.

Agreed on both counts. Quality can be made anywhere if the company commissioning the knives demands it. This is where CRKT fails consistently for me. They choose low quality in both materials and fit/finish. Throw in spotty QC and a high price for what you get and my money goes elsewhere. Plus, they don't actually make anything anywhere save for a few USA knives that are likely made for them (like the rest of their products). Their knives aren't designed by them. They are essentially a knife marketing company.

Back