I'm reading the writing on the wall, China

I do not buy many spyderco anymore as their prices don’t seem competitive as they once were.
Different strokes for different folks? I think they're a great value for the quality. They produce different models for every budget

The reason you see everything Made in China is because number one, labor is cheap and number two, the Chinese government literally pays 100% of the shipping for all exported goods. I'll say that again; export shipping is free.

I have zero Chinese Spyderco Knives. I never will. Fortunately Spyderco offers several country of manufacture alternatives today. Hopefully they will continue to do so. Or I’m out.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the prejudice against knives made in China by US, Chinese or other companies.

Most of the knives in my 330+ knife collection are made in the US but the next largest group of knives were made in China.

Knives contracted to be made there by US companies (like Kershaw, Spyderco and otherrs) are obviously made there for economic reasons. You get what you pay for. Knives made in China are generally made w/cheaper materials and steel but the quality of construction generally is quite acceptable for "normal" or light use.

I don't let "politics" determine what I buy, whether its a knife, gun or anything else. If I like it, I'll buy it because I don't think my purchase(s) will made any difference to the companies (or countries) involved. The only one I'm affecting by not purchasing a particular item is me and I think it's stupid to deny myself something when it makes no difference if I do.

I carry but don't "use" any of the knives in my collection, so the quality of steel is irrelevant to me. However, the quality of construction of each knife is still important to me and I can stay that I have had absolutely NO problem w/any knife that I own that was made in China.

Just my 2 cents on the topic.

I also do not understand peoples prejudice against China. I understand disagreeing with politics, i understand there might be shady business practices in some areas...

But to act like the entire country and its population all hold those standards is absurd. Its not like the US or ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD hasnt had their fair share of shady people and actions. To act like China stands alone in that world is honestly just stupid. People wanna talk about slave labor like our own country wasnt built by those same ideals.

Unless your hobby is politics why mix the 2?

Totally in agrreance with this reponse!

Different strokes for different folks? I think they're a great value for the quality. They produce different models for every budget

That’s why they’re my favorite “mass manufacturer.” That, and they do things in SO many different steels.

The reason you see everything Made in China is because number one, labor is cheap and number two, the Chinese government literally pays 100% of the shipping for all exported goods. I'll say that again; export shipping is free.
What? Not sure where you heard that but that's not true in my industry. The owner of my company is Chinese and imports all of our product from China. He'd get a kick out of that statement

Last edited:
This used to be about "Made in Japan". Then it was about "Made in Taiwan". Then it was about "Made in China". Next it will be about Cambodia, and Indonesia, and Vietnam, and Turkey, and who knows where next.

This used to be about "Made in Japan". Then it was about "Made in Taiwan". Then it was about "Made in China". Next it will be about Cambodia, and Indonesia, and Vietnam, and Turkey, and who knows where next.

People love having prejudices. That's for sure.

I suspect making up enemies spices up life for those needing more flavor in theirs

The reality is, we all vote with our pocketbooks and manufacturers who don't listen to the "voters" wind up going out of business. If most people only want to spend under $50 for a knife, Spyderco would be stupid not to offer a significant number of knives in price range. I doubt that means they'll stop offering plenty of models for those who want "high end" knives, even though there are probably just as many folks pissing and moaning that "All the new Spydercos these days are over $300" as there are whining about there being too many inexpensive ones made in China.

The Tenacious is junk. I like the design, but the steal is a joke. I had a few stashed in the car, drawer, etc. If you so much as fart on it, the blade goes dull.

The Tenacious is junk. I like the design, but the steal is a joke. I had a few stashed in the car, drawer, etc. If you so much as fart on it, the blade goes dull.

Many Chinese companies offer quite a bit of better budget blades than the tenacious. But yeah usually budget blades dont have premium materials and QC.

Though I don't currently own any, I don't have a prejudice against Chinese made knives, and won't rule out ever owning one. The fact is however, though I have seen many knives from China in recent years that interest me, there are also too many knives before them in line on my want list from the countries that I traditionally have taken pride in owning knives from (US, Japan, Italy, Germany, etc).

As it pertains to this thread, I don't really see things going the way the OP sees it for Spyderco. If anything, Spyderco more than any other large company in this hobby always seems to keep us knife enthusiasts in mind with their offerings IMO. Their presence on these forums is proof of that.

Man thats a bit too intense! How could you say so about the 1st Spyderco I had? ;)

The only way I see Spyderco becoming “Chinese” is if one day it’s owned by a larger corporation...but I don’t think that’s gonna happen any time soon!

Back