I'm sorry but this Blade Show absolutely stunk

The tactical movement has pretty much destroyed any individuality in the knife business.
Knives that are "hand made" have taken a back seat to knives that are made in a machine shop.
These knives work well, but have no "soul."
I do get tired of seeing all the black clothing, tattoos, pierced heads and mohawks.
But then- I'm a dinosaur, aren't I?

Oh they we there yesterday. The pierced, tattooed, goth types. And their equally strange army-booted girlfriends....some of the skankiest women I’ve ever seen! And the 600# tactical know-it-all’s who couldn’t get out of their chair more than once a day (for a chips, coke and cookie run) if their lives depended on it.

I hate to bitch, but it really was better when it was a knife show. The new powers that be running the show took over, what, about five years ago or so? Changed the whole format chasing the almighty dollar. They’ve about killed it.

I've never been to Blade, though I have wanted to go for years. I'm thinking about trying to make plans for next year, but I do see how big (and tacti-cool) it's gotten, and I am very hesitant. Heck, with just the handful of makers and collectors I follow on YouTube and instagram, I can barely keep up with THEIR content, and that's just a very small fraction of what's at the show. I feel like I'd be spending hundreds of dollars just to bounce around an overcrowded room for a few hours a day, and still not really be able to see what I want to see or have any meaningful conversations with anyone. It's one thing if you have a table and/or some friends you want to see, but I don't personally know a lot of makers.

Here in Valparaiso, Indiana, we have a couple of "big" gun shows each year, and the last one I went to (a few years ago) was so packed, you could barely move, much less get to a table to look at anything or talk to anybody. Similarly, it seemed like everybody wanted top dollar for any knives or guns they were selling, and where you used to actually be able to find some great deals on various things, it just seemed like everybody was trying to take advantage of all the hysteria surrounding tactical weapons and such.

I suppose if you have a set plan and know where to set expectations, it may still be worth going to, but as I say, I'm hesitant.

I really wish there was a Bladeshow Midwest, or something similar. I mean, I'm only an hour or so from Chicago. Anybody want to go in with me on renting out McCormick Place? :D :D :D

My first Blade Show and I enjoyed it. I will say it was disorganized. They had two lists for all vendors; one for tables and one for booths in the program. It confused the crap out of me. I was looking for a maker in the booth section, but they were in the table section. If they would have just said, “Table/Booth #” and then made one list, it would have made more sense. The folding type of show guide was like a an old city map. Friday was very unorganized. There was one woman, who earned 3x her pay trying to help all. The early bird phases was hokey, and the line for 2 PM entry was stupid because they lined us up around the corner and then we all walked and mixed with people who had not bought a ticket yet and that held up entering for the door checkers telling people they needed a wrist band. Saturday was pretty crowded so the traffic flow was there. I am hoping the makers sold their wares well. I came out from CA. It may be a few yrs before I came back, but sure had a good time both days.

After attending as an exhibitor for a dozen years this continues to be the single most enjoyable weekend of my entire year. There's nowhere else on the planet you can find more knife Enthusiast gather together in one place at one time. The Tactical Market sure isn't complaining. And quite honestly their newest demand is Damascus the quite honestly those guys don't know how to make for the large part. I will continue to return to this show and find the best of materials equipment and supplies until I can no longer make it here.
If you've never been here and don't come at least once to see it for yourself you're missing out.

I suppose shows of this type for any hobby have somewhat lost their magic because of the internet. The internet has effectively “shrunk” the planet, making what used to be elusive, rare, and difficult to find without traveling, all within a few clicks for viewing and/or purchase.

Didnt balzano have a table there this year? Enuff reason to burn the place instead of attending, right there.
Probably half the smell you encountered was scammy bullshit that drips out of half the #lookatmetoomorestill! knifecrowd that had wares on display.

Reactions: Mo2
Same as gun shows, fishing shows, etc the online market is changing how people buy things

100% agree but not for the reasons you may think. I can comparison shop 1000s of stores online and buy the cheapest thing I can find, the best thing I can find, or I can go to a hobbyist forum and contact the best of the best and have something custom made. I no longer have to settle between Kmart, Walmart, Sears, or the yearly knife convention to find exactly what I want.

If you're looking for what has replaced your local convention show you'll find it right here.

I was talking with a friend who attended, and he also said that it wasn't the same.

I think they are just trying to expand their market to a new demographic.

It may backfire on them; who knows.

The last time I went to Blade was probably 4 or 5 years ago. I looked around for a couple of hours, then went back to NC. Many great makers there, but it had a flea market vibe.

I've never been, but I'm not surprised that Blade Show isn't immune from changing over time just the same as other events, conventions, and gatherings have changed. It's just the nature of things even when an industry and hobby haven't expanded just because people get older and younger people get into it.

I can find plenty of supplies and materials just fine on the internet at home. And there is plenty of great advice and tips to be found online as well; I basically check this and other forums multiple times a day (great toilet reading :poop::eek::D). But it's not the same as meeting people and talking with them in person. I'm definitely interested in going to Blade Show eventually!

Things change over time and usually not for the better. Get used to it.

After attending as an exhibitor for a dozen years this continues to be the single most enjoyable weekend of my entire year. There's nowhere else on the planet you can find more knife Enthusiast gather together in one place at one time. The Tactical Market sure isn't complaining. And quite honestly their newest demand is Damascus the quite honestly those guys don't know how to make for the large part. I will continue to return to this show and find the best of materials equipment and supplies until I can no longer make it here.
If you've never been here and don't come at least once to see it for yourself you're missing out.

I agree. I actually had you on my notes list, looked for you a couple times and still missed you Karl!

This was my first year attending, so I’ve nothing to compare it to. I had a great time. It is definitely sensory overload, so much so that I almost didn’t buy a knife. It’s too hard to decide.

One thing that hit me I wasn’t expecting was a little melancholy feeling driving home. I felt like I was among my people there, so kind of hated to leave.

I met some really cool people, and had a bunch of great conversations. Even discovered a maker in my hometown I didn’t know existed. It is worth one trip in my opinion, and I’ll more than likely attend again.

I've been an attendee for the last 10 years and I think the venue stinks. Parking is horrendous, the aisles are extremely crowded and the Staff at the Cobb Galleria are terrible. My main point of contention is the fact that they have 30+ doors leading into the exihibit hall, yet they insist that everyone go in single file through one set. If the doors open at 2:00, then open the doors. Don't say "Open at 2:00" and then make me stand in line until 3:15. I'm not sure if that is the way BLADE asks for it to be done, or if they are doing that on their own. I would be interested to know if BLADE is even open to moving, perhaps to a larger, more accomodating facility such as the Georgia World Congress Center.

After attending as an exhibitor for a dozen years this continues to be the single most enjoyable weekend of my entire year. There's nowhere else on the planet you can find more knife Enthusiast gather together in one place at one time...............

Karl - I came by your table a couple of times but missed you each time. I do agree with you, it was a good time for all. I do agree it's getting so there's "almost" too many folks there (I'm not a real crowd person). Looking forward to next year.

Ken H>

I haven't been in a couple of years. I think that the venue is still being used because the price is right and it is familiar. Did you have to contend with any baseball crowds? I have not been since they built the new stadium. I want to check out that pedestrian bridge over 285. But to your point, as we have discussed on here many times, iif you are going to have a show in Atlanta, it would be nice to have it at a facility that has access to MARTA. GCC would work, as would the convention center at the airport. It is connected to the terminal and its MARTA station by the people mover.
I've been an attendee for the last 10 years and I think the venue stinks. Parking is horrendous, the aisles are extremely crowded and the Staff at the Cobb Galleria are terrible. My main point of contention is the fact that they have 30+ doors leading into the exihibit hall, yet they insist that everyone go in single file through one set. If the doors open at 2:00, then open the doors. Don't say "Open at 2:00" and then make me stand in line until 3:15. I'm not sure if that is the way BLADE asks for it to be done, or if they are doing that on their own. I would be interested to know if BLADE is even open to moving, perhaps to a larger, more accomodating facility such as the Georgia World Congress Center.

Same as gun shows, fishing shows, etc the online market is changing how people buy things

No, it goes further then that. It has changed the way that people talk. You have to wonder whether physical shows have a place anymore? The knife community has been replaced by a digital simulation.

n2s

Back