I'm sorry but this Blade Show absolutely stunk

It's a bit like watching TV or surfing the internet or even keeping up with this Forum. If you don't like a channel, don't turn it on.
I went to my first Blade show 3 or 4 years ago and was just not prepared for magnitude of it. I did not have much of a plan because I expected it to be smaller. Even so, I had some great conversations with custom makers in the ABS area and made some very important contacts.
I returned the next year with very specific objectives in mind and again found the show very valuable. Because I had clear objectives I didn't waste any time at the Tacticool booths. I still cruised the aisles but refused to be sucked into displays that were not relevant to what I came for. I studied the program and marked it up so I could efficiently get to the places I wanted.

I didn't go this year. Didn't have specific things I felt I needed to go for. Atlanta traffic in general freaks me out. Parking at the Galleria is just stupid awful. The waiting in line to get let into the show is again just stupid awful. Like many of us here, I'm a grumpy old man and stupid inefficiency just pisses me off. The sand is running thru my hourglass and I don't think there are enough grains on the top side for me to do what i'm supposed to do. I resent every wasted grain.

I also relate very much to the comments about the Tactical stuff. We get so buried with black guns and "tactical" knives. I understand their popularity there, Walter Mitty, but do we have sacrifice all grace, design, and beauty? Years ago you hung your favorite gun over the mantle. You wanted it ready at hand but you also considered it thing of beauty and felt it added to the decor of the room. I can't imagine hanging an AR 15 over the fireplace. I might tuck it in the corner where I can grab and go but not on decorative display. Same for the handguns. They are mostly black and mostly look alike. I like my Glocks but don't consider them beautiful. My buddy has a couple of Whitney Wolverines. Those are beautiful.

We waste our breath complaining about the Tacticool because it is Market driven and the Market is an irresistible force. We best continue to make things of good design and thank God there are collectors of guns and knives who have an eye for beautiful design. Those collectors will probably continue to attend Blade Show looking for something that fits their collection.

I both agree and disagree.
I had the most fun i have had in a long time. this was only my second show, and it was still a bit overwhelming. I think the isles should have been labeled better. It was tough finding certain makers. And the food places seemed understaffed from what i saw.

I did see some fanboys of certain makers. And i always carry business cards of mine own to hand out. But it seemed like they weren't even interested if it wasnt "Maker X,Y,Z." Kind of a buzzkill, but to each their own.

The parking due to the braves game was INSANE. My buddy nearly had a meltdown trying to park at a restaurant. They sent him to every lot, only to find it was full. We had to move cones and make a spot (in a space).

I did have an amazing time though. I met several makers that i was trying to see, and was impressed. Every maker i met was awesome, polite, humble, and super knowledgeable. I will likely try my hand at bladesports due to meeting a few makers who participate. I leaned TONS of useful info on how to get started, what grinds to use, and so on. They were helpful and encouraging.

I also met several members of bladefoums. I had a couple stay at my hotel and had a blast. We really had a memorable time.

Like many of us here, I'm a grumpy old man and stupid inefficiency just pisses me off. The sand is running thru my hourglass and I don't think there are enough grains on the top side for me to do what i'm supposed to do. I resent every wasted grain.

Boy do I identify with that statement. Poor to non-existent labeling of table rows has been one of my big gripes from the first time I went 4 yrs ago.

Talked with a huge exhibitor there today and he remarked to me that he had more people tell him “no more Blade Show for me after this” than he ever has. The new owners of Blade mag zine and the Show organizers are money driven...to hell with everything else.

The new owners of Blade mag zine and the Show organizers are money driven...to hell with everything else.

Did you meet him? I spent two hours with him, and in fact he was my first knife sale on Friday morning. Then, he spent three days talking to exhibitors researching what they needed and wanted. Saturday night he was up until 3 AM having meetings with people finding out how to best run the show.
He just picked up a show already in progress for this year. Can't blame it all on him.
Beneficial changes will happen in the future.
Every business needs to profit - or there's no business.
He's a knife and gun nut and wants what's best for us and the show.

OK folks, check your email. Just got a Blade Show survey request. Here's your chance to give them some feedback.

Did you meet him? I spent two hours with him, and in fact he was my first knife sale on Friday morning. Then, he spent three days talking to exhibitors researching what they needed and wanted. Saturday night he was up until 3 AM having meetings with people finding out how to best run the show.
He just picked up a show already in progress for this year. Can't blame it all on him.
Beneficial changes will happen in the future.
Every business needs to profit - or there's no business.
He's a knife and gun nut and wants what's best for us and the show.
Karl, it sure sounds like Blade mag & the show are now in good hands! :cool:

I've been to the show for the last 6-7 years. I had a good time as always. I didn't like how they changed the door opening times for different pass holders though. If I'm not exhibiting (like this year) I normally get an exhibitor badge from a friend who is exhibiting and can go in like any other exhibitor. This year couldn't go in til 12:15. Not a huge deal but I don't get it. The badges are limited and they're not cheap.
I'd also be pretty ticked off if I was one of the poor guys who paid $650 for a table and got stuck in the other room away from the main show.
Only other thing I noticed this year was there seemed to be less material suppliers. I like to buy as much handle material in person as I can. There weren't as many options this year as past years, and the prices on wood blocks/scales have nearly doubled in the past few years.

I'd also be pretty ticked off if I was one of the poor guys who paid $650 for a table and got stuck in the other room away from the main show.
Only other thing I noticed this year was there seemed to be less material suppliers. I like to buy as much handle material in person as I can. There weren't as many options this year as past years, and the prices on wood blocks/scales have nearly doubled in the past few years.

Wow. I saw so much handle material I was lost. I got way more than I could afford and some really nice stuff.
My table was $525.00. Where did that $650 figure come from?

Wow. I saw so much handle material I was lost. I got way more than I could afford and some really nice stuff.
My table was $525.00. Where did that $650 figure come from?

There was still plenty of material, but a few vendors I've bought from in the past weren't there this year unless I just missed them. I stocked up anyways.
An exhibitor told me he paid $650. I know the prices go up if you apply later. Maybe that's why?

Like I said I still had a great time at the show. It's the people that make BLADE so great. A lot of these guys I only see at BLADE that's reason enough to go for me.

I'm not going back, and have no plan to unless I introduce some new forge models. It's mostly the same spectators going every year, so unless you have something new it's not worth it. Maybe that should be a goal for next year. . .

Back