Imitation Stag

Your grandfathers generation as was mine, were just practical people, and tools and implements were to be used, and they had to last. My father always said, when it came to buying tools and knives etc., always buy the best you can afford, they will last you a lifetime if you look after them. And i love your 2 Schrade examples, the scales look fantastic.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Your father gave you good advice. Same type of thing my grandfather lived and tried to instilled in me. He bought the best and took care of it. So much so that he was able to hand down some of his treasures to his grandchildren. I inherited a tackle box full of fishing equipment including lures, line, weights bobbers etc. Some made prior to WW1 with most of it in used but excellent condition. The reels are still in their original boxes with paper and tools. Three generations (so far) were able to use these things. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'm glad to have the few Schrades that I have. There are many older brands but Schrade is the American knife company from my youth and most of my Schrades still shine. :)

UkPN0fr.jpg

Last edited:
This Camillus has Imitation (Delrin?) Stag handles, that look kinda cool!! They certainly resemble nicely aged Burnt Stag, in a sturdy material! If you have some of this material, please post a picture for us!!
The knife is not imitation, but is a burly 4 1/4" Bear of a knife!!:) In stainless, I suspect this knife will last a long time through the ages, much longer than I will!!:eek::D
I imagine the number on the back of the main tang is the pattern number, not the year!?!
Anyone??
You're right - the 89 on the back is the model number (1973-74 catalog page)
25pmfaI.jpg

I have a few of the Imitation Stag/ Delrin/ Staglon/ Indian Stag Knives around, this one I bought recently because of the Sears connection, early 70's Knife, I first thought was Camillus made, this is 3&7/8ths closed and advertised as such, where Schrades are 4 inches and advertised as such, there is always much to learn. Schrade did use the Double Bomb shield - so?
Sears always added their specifications to such SFO's, but here is a opposing Slanted Bolstered Knife- where Camillus had Slanted Bolsters but running in the same direction. Bolster treatment looks Camillus.
Its been a few months since I sat down and really tried to get into the differences between Camillus, Schrade Imperial, and Schrade made Stockmans, this was extremely challenging at times to identify exactly who made a certain Sears Knife as the three above mentioned Companies made some Stockmans so so close to each other it just wasn't funny, very small differences such as very slight lengths, for instance Spey Blade shapes- but these too changed within the same company to give you different variations, Main Blade Swage work, but at times Sears wanted smaller extras like these added so comparing to the Cutler Companies Catalogs wasn't always the "go to definite answer" - the roads keep forking off in different direction.

Very interesting the opposite side Shields being different to one another, whether this was the stipulated requirement from Sears I don't Know, one day I want to branch out more into Sears Knives and will keep adding to my collection, until then trying to pick up HJ's, Cattles and Scouts and earlier Camillus, and , and lol.....
In time, I hoping soon, I want to dedicate more time to the study of Knives, also the Sears Knives as well because there seems to be a never ending Rabbits Warren when you start getting into the Sears History and their Knives, let alone the "standard" Cutlery companies.
Sears Knives often pose many questions I find this one interesting because its a Sears Stamped Knife, its extremely Tidy and to have a shield on each side of the Knives is a bonus, but to have two different Shields makes it a point of interest.

I64GUDM.jpg

qPmlZJL.jpg

wK1q6y2.jpg

HYSyjY1.jpg

Last edited:
Back