Imperial Cuchilleria hecho en Mexico=Imperial Cutlery made in Mexico

Very interesting article and well researched......Albert Baer mentioned in his Memoirs: Quote : ' Phil Shaler to whom I sold the Mexican Business, and whose Business Arthur Keating :/Owner Ekco Products Co: had purchased and then fired Shaler.'..Unquote ….in his Memoirs Albert stated Shaler was an enemy of Arthur Keating...American Home Products subsequently acquired Ekco products after it was listed on the Stock Exchange....Arthur had previously offered to buy 'Imperial' from Albert..... Arthur Keating died shortly after. Ekco was sold....……..
I wonder how long Shaler owned/ran the 'Mexican Business' as Albert Baer described it....
Albert Baer was the consummate Businessman and his business dealings/tentacles reached most corners of US Commerce including Presidents....amazing businessman/man.....Hoo Roo

Hi Larry - I reached out to you when I was researching the article. I’m glad you brought up Shaler – maybe someone will recognize the name. Phil Shaler was a bit of a red herring. It’s possible that he was with Associated Spring (maybe after Keating bought his company and fired him?) but I wasn’t able to connect those dots. There were no trademarks found with any names besides Imperial and Associated so if there was an owner sandwiched between the two, it left no paper trail. It’s more likely there is a Shaler/Associated connection but it’s also possible (however unlikely) that Baer was referring to a different Mexico business. I’m familiar with the passage you’re quoting from and that is the only place in the memoir, or anywhere, that I found a reference to Phil Shaler. While I was chasing that lead it occurred to me I might be chasing a ghost. What if the name is mis-spelled in the memoir? Towards the beginning of the article the Woolworths buyer PG Frantz is discussed. In the memoir the man is referred to as Frantz and also as France – both on multiple occasions and there are other flubs and rough spots as well. I don’t know that it was a final draft, edited and ready for print. Anyway, if anyone has info on Phil Shaler it would be great to add that to the story!

Jason

That text was scanned into a computer program that made the mistakes seen. You will also see "Baer" misspelled.

Back