How To Improve Spyderco Delica4 PM2 Blade (Mod, Sharpening)

The most common number associated with ruby sharpening stones is #3000 or 3000-grit rating yes. That's similar to Spyderco Fine. Search <ruby sharpening stone> on amazon ebay aliexpress google and you'll find it (in different sizes) everywhere. Experienced hands can appreciate the RUBY3000, it's not a stone for beginners imho, same goes for the 204MF imho.
I've never tested DMT products before, i have other diamond sharpeners; they're good for the fast rough work, i have no need for them anymore. i never mention them, bygones.

I've mentioned michael christy numerous times in my posts. he is the most effective edc knife freehand-sharpener I've come across in my life! he usually finishes on a 306UF before advancing to strops, he also does 204-freehanding, never uses the black plastic of the Sharpmaker. he is one of the few who are able to produce edges with rough finishes which are hair-whittling sharp.

he is my foremost master, cha! :cool: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
i've just run across this video contribution which is kinda related to the topic (spyderco ricasso, sharpening notch, damaging stone). while i understand his reasoning and everything, i don't have to agree with everything. the typical spyderco blade does not come with a sharpening notch or choil, so he —maintaining a professional sharpening business— remains adamant about adding a sharpening notch to your spyderco blade whether you like it or not. with this procedure i don't agree. as this very thread shows, it is not necessary to add a sharpening notch to say a Delica4 or PM2 blade, if you wanted to sharpen the entire edge line up to the very ricasso corner! no doubt, for cutting performance reasons, it is desirable not to have a sharpening notch on the spyderco blade. Adding a sharpening notch helps the sharpening process (and i love sharpening notches!) but does not help the cutting performance. So, if one can, one should sharpen the blade as shown in the op and not add a sharpening notch, imho.

on my very first PM2 i had added a sharpening notch.

It was the first and last time i did such a 855 thing. This thread shows that it is very possible to sharpen without a notch, and without damaging the stone in the process.

AdXbTHu.jpg

Q: what is the process for this modification?
A: The way i do it, i use the bottom side of 302UF to grind in the ricasso corner carefully. The top side of 302UF has 45°-chamfered edges, the bottom side has sharp 90° edges. The RUBY3000 stone is the cheaper alternative, having sharp 90° edges too. With much patience and care (caution) one can do the grinding with these stones without damaging/chipping the sharp 90° edges. Apparently grinding S30V with a UF-stone can take ages compared with VG10, but there is no hurry. You do the mod just once in your lifetime, and then you have no more trouble with maintaining the ricasso corner that way (with 302UF or RUBY3000) cleanly. Clearly, do NOT use 302M or any other stone for the mod; 302M wears, and other stones are too soft and wear/chip/get damaged during the mod! 302UF, 302F, and RUBY3000 are hard enough for the mod; if you grind with them carefully, their sharp 90° edges won't get damaged. That's the way i do it.

Last edited:
Q: what is the process for this modification?
A: The way i do it, i use the bottom side of 302UF to grind in the ricasso corner carefully. The top side of 302UF has 45°-chamfered edges, the bottom side has sharp 90° edges. The RUBY3000 stone is the cheaper alternative, having sharp 90° edges too. With much patience and care (caution) one can do the grinding with these stones without damaging/chipping the sharp 90° edges. Apparently grinding S30V with a UF-stone can take ages compared with VG10, but there is no hurry. You do the mod just once in your lifetime, and then you have no more trouble with maintaining the ricasso corner that way (with 302UF or RUBY3000), clean. Clearly, do NOT use 302M or any other stone for the mod; 302M wears, and other stones are too soft and wear/chip/get damaged during the mod! 302UF and RUBY3000 are hard enough for the mod; if you grind with them carefully, their sharp 90° edges won't get damaged. That's the way i do it.

Thank you :)

I'm guessing this file set would be a viable alternative <especially the triangle and square profiles>...
sp400f$02-spydeco-400f-ceramic-vijlenset-d2.jpg

I use the edge of my flat DMT diafold stones. It also takes me more than one sharpening to get rid of that unsharpened edge by the ricasso, it progresses over multiple sharpenings, until it's gone.

Back