In Memorium - Bill Martino and Rusty Slate

When Uncle Bill passed I was saddened at our loss but much more greatly relieved at his passing from pain. It was a journey he was prepared to take, and he worked hard to prepare us for it as well.

The HI forum is the core of my interest in khukuris, and all knives in general. I always felt that when Uncle Bill's time came, Rusty would be there to provide direction and carry us onward. To me Rusty was the rock, the solid foundation that remained constant during whatever storms blew through here and tossed us about.

I was stunned to learn of Rusty's passing, as were many here. I woke up one day expecting to find him there to lead us on and suddenly it seemed as though the helm was empty and the anchor dragging. That was what Rusty meant to me. He embodied the character that makes this forum a family.

As much as I miss his steady hand here I also see that his example lives on. We are again guided by steady, sure hands. We will pass through this sorrow and remember his words and his influence on all of us. Namaste, Rusty.

Edited to add: Attached pictures are from Danny in Japan.

Attachments

• Rusty1.jpg
    Rusty1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Rusty2.jpg
    Rusty2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Rusty3.jpg
    Rusty3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 233
Back a couple of years ago, my late wife was very sick.
Rusty sent me some special prayer beads that he made himself. I treasure them.
There are no words to describe the feelings I have about his passing.

He was one of the good ones.

--Mike L.

Since Rusty has passed I'm amazed at how many stories from person's he's helped I've heard. He never told me the half of it. Here, in emails, and on the phone I've heard from many folks Rusty touched in a good way. His Minister told his wife that every time he was at his most discouraged Rusty would walk into his office and help.

munk

munk said:
Since Rusty has passed I'm amazed at how many stories from person's he's helped I've heard. He never told me the half of it. Here, in emails, and on the phone I've heard from many folks Rusty touched in a good way. His Minister told his wife that every time he was at his most discouraged Rusty would walk into his office and help.

munk
To a friendly Montanian of repute, you have posted a story that is a GREAT example for the rest of us.

Munk, get on down here and walk into my office and help me clean it! NaaaaaW, just kiddin! You are so lucky to live there in beatiful Montana. Gods country!

Smile, whether you want to or not! YES, I insist! :) :) :)
Thanks,

iBear

I just heard today of Rusty's passing- my sincere condolensces go out to all of his friends and loved ones. In my few, brief emails with him and through reading his posts here I quickly came to count him amoung the finest of men.

I have been hesitant until now to post anything involving Uncle Bill's passing as I do not want to accidentally insult any one of you who knew him and loved him best. In browsing the HI website and reading Bill Martino's writings I quickly came to find that one does not need to have met Mr.Martino to know what an incredible person he is. Shortly before his passing on I wrote him a short little note- one I am not sure he read. Over the past few weeks I've decided that it is unimportant whether he read it or not- Bill Martino simply does not need my approval. More (most) important is the way his words made me feel- despite all the years and the miles coming down in between. I give thanks still for that.

Anyways- just as I was compelled to write this note to Uncle Bill I also feel compelled to share it here- I am not sure why really.

Dear Uncle Bill-
As soon as I read this, I felt compelled to respond personally to the man who wrote the enclosed. I hope it is not overly presumptious of me but the words powerfully stirred something deep inside myself. If life is just a song and death a dance I thank you from the depths of my heart and soul for being who you are and doing what you have done.

I hope that in this life or the next you meet that flute player on the roof in Tamang. Just as I hope, in this life or the next, I am able to meet you, look you in the eye and shake your hand with all respect.

"Strange, perhaps, that we never met and that I do not know his name but I remember him vividly -- the Tamang on the rooftop -- and there are times when I think about the wonderful music he made for all of us and I now wish I had taken the time to go meet him and thank him. I doubt that now we will ever meet but I can still thank him. It is never too late for thanks.
So, thank you, Tamang on the rooftop, for all those wonderful songs you played. I can still hear them sometimes in the dark of the night when I lay awake and remember that wonderful and magical life I lived in Nepal. "

If I may steal a paraphrase. Thank you, Uncle Bill for the wonderful music you make. Even without having known you at all, I hear the melodies you may or may not know that you play and they bring beautiful tears to my eyes and a true smile to my face.

That is something I do not feel often enough. With all sincerity, I can not thank you enough.

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/faq/Sunrise.htm

im not a very active member of the forum, but i stop in every week and check up on the newest set of threads, and have a great love of hi, and the people who frequent the forums.

from everything i read on these boards of rusty, the only thing i can say about him that makes any sense to me is that he tried to be a better person, wich is possibly the best thing i can say about a man.

be at peace...

2002_10_06_dscn2680.jpg

Rusty surely sits in a good spot next to Bill...

The dismaying thing is that I know he is still concerned about the rest of us...and probably wishing that he had more time to ease our pain for the loss of Bill. The best thing each of us can do is to extend Rusty's spirit to the rest of the Cantina...this psycho ward of his.

ArchAngel said:
I most remember when I first started buying from Uncle Bill in 2000 or so. My first purchase was sent out to me before we had even discussed how I was going to pay for it.

Same here. What a guy, what an irreplaceable loss. :(

Great post, Ferguson, re: "Bill-isms"

Sympathy to Bill's family and to the HI forum regulars here, who have lost a friend. All who knew Bill - even just a little bit - are worse off without him.

Hello all

Yvsa,Wallace,Broken Arrow,MauiRob,logan1,Jim Clifton,this is RayC.

What a loss for all.I spoken to Uncle Bill in Feb,to tell him I have a motor home and that my wife and I were going out to see him and the Serpa.I had to contact him again for shortly after that my wife was diag,with bone cancer and the treatments had to start right away.He said he is in some pain but if he could he would hold on till we could get out there.I sent him an email to say she hadone more week of radiation.the we could come out till the net step in her treatment started.Instead of hearing from him,an email came from the Sherpa with the bad news.Now back on the forum I find that Rusty is also gone.
Blessings on our good friends,peace to all.
I have known Uncle for 16 years,this is hard to swallow.

Rusty and Bill were both great guys. They were what made the HI forums a place to share technical info, humour, and a great place to just socialize. I think much of what goes on in the HI forums gives the HI khukuri their soul.

I recall going for a business trip to the USA and Rusty offered to send me a khukuri to where I was staying to keep me company. I was almost a complete stranger to Rusty.

Bill is an honest and charitable man. Being a flight test engineer he could have likely done extremely well for himself. Instead he put his efforts in helping others such as his work in the Peace Corp. and latter return trips to Nepal.

Just last weekend I was reminded of one of Bill’s humours comments “khukuri saves saw”. While sectioning a tree with a chainsaw it become stuck. I got my GRS khukuri and cut the offending tree and retrieved my saw. Both Bill and Rusty strived to make life a bit easier for others. Bill and Rusty’s anecdotes from the HI forum will be with me for the rest of my life.

Both Uncle Bill and Rusty will be missed.

Will

I've been away from the forums for a while now, and it's hard to believe what's happened in the meantime. :( I don't have many memories of Rusty, other than a general impression from his posts that he was hard but fair. I've bought a few khuks from Bill, and again he was always happy to send them out before he knew that I'd mailed the money. My first Ang Khola arrived duller than me after a hard night drinking, but when it came time for my second khuk, a 16.5" WWII, Bill was more than happy to pick out a sharp one for me.

I'm going to miss him.

Chris

Uncle Bill trusted me without even knowing me. This kind of thing seems rare these days. He is missed. :(

Dang! I'm at a real loss for words here. Uncle Bill and Rusty gone? Going to take me some time to get over this or as Uncle Bill would say "Holy Toledo!"

Harry

Edit - Just found the right thing - a Heineken in the fridge to toast two great gentlemen I've been privileged to know. Uncle Bill and Rusty, here's to you both!

I really only registered here to express my sorrow of Bill's passing, and it was a shock to be on Bill's website and be linked to hear to find the news that he has gone.

I didn't know him that well, but really liked him. A couple of years ago I found his website, and lost about 3 or 4 hours reading it cover to cover. I had three Kukris at the time including one that needs a new sarki. As I liked his site so much, I wrote and told him so. I got a reply in about three minutes! We fired a few e-mails back and forth about needing a new sarki made for very nice old kukri I have and he said he would be fearful that if I sent him my old silver hilted kukri it might go missing at Nepalese Customs. He offered to take it next time he visitied Nepal if I wanted. I also told him a friend of mine, a major in the Ghurkas had just died and that I hoped I might get his service kukri presented by his men. As it transpired, I did get the kukri and have it in my collection. It served him well in French Indo China, and I was thinking yesterday, I'll write to Bill and tell him I got the kukri. Alas, too late now. One thing I remember Bill said when I told him about the major dying.

"We lose too many of the good guys".

Amen to that Bill.

Bill and Rusty have been fulcrums for change in my life. When I posted on serious dilemmas, their answers were truly inspirational to me. When I posted my religious consternation, both were there to offer their valuable insight, as well as others here I have come to know and respect. Uncle Bill and this forum are a big part of the reason that I took a chance, and am still dating a wonderful Asian woman 1.5 years later.

Bill and Rusty: Thanks for being here and making the most of yourselves. Thank you for providing this forum as a place of respect and refuge. I am grateful to have had your company, and I will stay on this path as per your advice; loving God with all my heart and my neighbour as myself. God bless you both and give you peace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Uncle Bill" was a good man! He always dealt with me fairly. And I will truely miss him. (I hope "Hi" will continue as always with "Yangdu").
"Rusty", I never communicated with.
But, out of curiosity I contacted Yangdu and asked about Rusty's passing; She said the flu took him according to his wife?
Is this true? If it is how sad!
Anyway; I hope they both have made an easy transition to the other side! & Bless the ones they left behind and give them the strength they need to continue.
"To end on a happier note: I'd like to think "Uncle Bill" might say something like this" Due to technical difficulties the light at the end of the tunnel will be off
until further notice
:) :thumbup:

Oh My God. I have been away again for sometime and have been viewing the forums in the last week only to find this out this morning. I cannot believe my eyes, both Rusty and Bill passing away in the same day.

I will remember you both my friends. I remember all the fun times when the website was young and just starting out. Both of you, my honorable friends will remain in my heart. Bill, your good heart always found a way to make things right for people.

Today is a really sad day for me, I am holding back tears as I write, a delayed reaction and I am sorry for it.

Good by my friends, I'll see you again.

Back