In praise of my sharpest blade: the Opinel N°7!

I actually have found the stainless versions (at least the ones produced in the last few years) hold an edge better than the carbon versions. The switch to SANDVIK was a great move by Opinel IMO.

Last edited:
I love opinel both stainless and carbon they can take an absolutely scary edge in no time and hold it fairly well.

Cut cheese and onion on some bread with some mustard on top

That should take of the shine............

My mind has already been gearing up for something along those lines. I wouldn't mind seeing some patina on the carbon blade. Don't know if I'll try to force it, but maybe just let it happen. Even with the polish I've been putting on it, I've noticed a slightly darker character in the carbon blade, in localized spots. I think it's left over from the grape-slicing experiment I did earlier. I have this image in my mind, of the upper two-thirds of the blade with a nice, dark patina, and the lower portion with the high polish, as I know I'll never likely give it enough time for patina (I just keep on stropping & working the edge; can't help myself :D ).

David, IMO you only improved those knives. That mirror finish will serve you better, patina or not, IMO :)

Kevin

This thread has motivated me to purchase an Opinel and, to my surprise, I'll be ordering stainless. Lots of good input guys. Thanks.

opinel's are some cool knives, i have a #8 with carbon. once i convexed the blade it sliced like a champ. i really want to pick up a stainless version with the olive wood handles. you can't beat em!

David, IMO you only improved those knives. That mirror finish will serve you better, patina or not, IMO :)

Kevin

Thanks again, Kevin. That's what was driving me in doing it. The blade comes from the factory with an already-great profile for slicing, and taking it further with the zero-bevel & polish has made it even more-so. Really amazing, slick-as-glass, effortless cutting.

I really love my Opinels.
I'm not much of a hobby man(don't have the patience:eek:) and they are nice little "projects" as well; taking off the collar, sanding down the handle, darkening it above the stove, sanding it again.
Letting it soak in line sead oil, letting it dry. Then a thick layer of vasoline all over it and in all nooks and crannies, take a blow dryer until the vasoline starts to run all over the handle. Letting it dry again and wipe off the excess.
Now the handle is pretty much water resistant.
Take some vinegar to force patina and within an afternoon I get a brand new Opinel about 20 years older:p

That's why I prefer au carbon because there's nothing as nice IMO than a Opinel with "weathered" handle and a nice grey blade.

Furthermore they are far from fragile.
When I started my first job as a flexographic printer they issued us with carbon steel Opinels.
We used them as real working knives
- cutting thick plastic foil and tie ribs
- cutting the remaing foil from the cardboard roll by taking the knife in 1 hand and putting pressure on the spine of the blade with the other hand to cut away the remaining layers of foil.
- scraping ink and other
- light prying
The Opinel never gave out and all it took were a few swipes on the stone and it was shaving sharp again.
I used up about an Opinel a year in that time

Next to my Alox Solo they are my favourite traditionals/classics.:thumbup:

Nice job polishing the blades!

I used my Opinel No 10 last night.

img331.jpg

Sometimes you can find Opinels in the camping section of sporting Goods store. They will be in the green Cougans pack ,that reads camp knife. They are real opinels , says so right on the blade.

Back