Inexpensive flashlight to keep around the house or in car?

If you're set up for 18650 batteries (charger, care and feeding), Convoy flashlights are the Mora/Opinel of the flashlight world: dirt cheap, sturdy, well-made, functional, and available in many flavors.

For AA/AAA lights, Sofirn isn't a bad choice.

Milwaukee makes a good penlight that takes 2×aaa. 100 lumens has a good clip and its pretty rugged and replaceable.

Browning Crossfire:

$20-$25
AA Batteries
125 Lumens
High Low Strobe
LED

If you're set up for 18650 batteries (charger, care and feeding), Convoy flashlights are the Mora/Opinel of the flashlight world: dirt cheap, sturdy, well-made, functional, and available in many flavors.

I was going to mention Convoy as well. Really good lights for the money. I would recommend Emisar as well - they also make some great lights that don't cost much. Mtn Electronics (I think I'm okay mentioning them since they don't sell knives) carries both.

A couple years ago I wandered into a Sportsman’s Warehouse and found one that took a single AA battery for $13. It had a head that would twist so you could go from focus to flood. Cyclops was the brand. It worked so reliably I put them in my daughters vehicles. Was there the other day and saw they were under $10 now so I grabbed a spare.

I'll second this.

My favorite variant being the BLF A6...

I've got 3 of them.

I won't store Alkaline battery flashlights in the car. They tend to corrode when left alone over time. As long as you don't drive off-road all the time (constant bumps) I think just about any flashlight will do. There are plenty of inexpensive options at HD, Menards, and even WMart.

Just a personal note... although I EDC a handheld, I tend to prefer a headlamp for most uses. Also, some prefer flashlights with a magnet for things like working under the hood of the car at night, or using as a safety beacon (if available) if stranded on the side of the road at night.

I picked up a bunch of Nebo COB flashlights to use around the house and in my truck. I have a lot of Surefire lights, but I almost always grab the Larry lights. I like the flood light.

The Larry Magnum is an awesome flood light with a strong magnet.

Then, I have the Little Larry that I picked up at the counter at NAPA. It is a great truck light. Small and puts out a lot of flood light and has a good magnet.

We have a lot of power outages here during the "monsoon" season. I have placed Little Larry's all over the house to use when the power goes out. They are handy.

Batteries are more critical than the light itself in most cases. I'd go with lithium primary (non-rechargable) in a size that is easily found, so AA or AAA. If you want to go with rechargeable, go with good low self discharge HiMh or LiPo batteries, they all have pluses and minuses, but I'd suggest keeping at least a six month re-charge schedule, if not a 3 month. Also, many LED lights that have any sort of modes or memory have a slight vampire drain, so even your long-life batteries should be stored outside of the light. I use a lot of Aldi "Active Energy" batteries, and they do pretty well, have some older sanyo eneloops that are pretty good, I've heard good things about Ikea NiMh, and I just got some C and D size GP ReCyko batteries. The Cs are good hi-cap batteries, but just off the standard size, so my pelican saberlite doesn't hold them quite right, they need a shim. And the Ds are pretty much a AA in a spacer, but they seem to be good for my LED converted maglite which is sort of the power-outage light in the house. The GPs claim 80% after 2 years, so hopefully they do that, the trade off in NiMh is overall power vs. self discharge rate, so the lower cap batteries tend to sit for longer (price being equal)

I'm looking for the Mora and Opinel equivalents in the flashlight world.

For a real mora or Opinel equivalent, I'd say the time tested Maglight is it. I've had AA mini mags for many years that just kept on going, inspire of being battered and worn. When Mag finally joined the LED age, it became a great light. I have an LED AA minimal that's been great for 10 years, and lots of light output. Something like 270 lumens. It's my night dog walking light, as well as hiking and general being out after dark light.

Olite i3E EOS. 10 bucks. Single AAA. Always have one in my pocket, one in my desk, and one in my bedroom.

OLite.jpg

I carry a fenix af some type. I have the blue LED lights that harbor freight always have free coupons for stuck every where in our house washer fridge back of the doors etc most of the time one at wife height and one at grandchildren height I keep a couple in the car .

As previously suggested, the Olite i3E EOS is fantastic. It's tough to beat for the price.

I also like the Streamlight Microstream and the Maglite Solitaire.

I'm looking for the Mora and Opinel equivalents in the flashlight world.

I keep a Rayovac "virtually indestructible flashlight" in each of our vehicles and keep them loaded with lithium (non-rechargeable) batteries. Two AA cells per flashlight. I have given several to workman friends. They tell me they have found them to be very tough and very hard to kill. One of them actually did run over his with his truck and it had no effect.

The lights run about $17 in the big box hardware stores. Throw away the batteries that come with them and buy some lithiums. They don't leak and have a 10-year shelf life.

If you want something smaller that will fit in your pocket, I've had good luck with single AA Sofirn, Lumintop, and UltraTac flashlights. My current carry is an UltraTac AA.

I like the C cell size of LED Mag lights quite a lot for around the house or in the vehicle. The focusing attribute is nice at times. Batteries last a long time. I use flashlights every single day. I'm most comfortable at about 200 lumens output but I have brighter ones. I'm just telling you the ones I use all the time. Lowes sold a C cell flashlight with an aluminum body that I liked (only one setting); I have six of these flashlights and use them for work a lot and around the house. Would have much preferred this flashlight to have a hi and lo setting.

I generally don't care for the 3 or 6 AAA battery flash lights..... they had their day, but much prefer AA for smaller flashlights.

I have a couple of the Rayovac plastic flashlights (2 AA batteries). They have a high and low setting, but with frequent use they simply won't turn on until they sit a bit when the batteries start to drain down. I like them however; very light and easy to use.

One thing others have mentioned. For lights that are going to sit for weeks or months before or between use, I load them with Lithium or NiMH rechargeable batteries. No more Costco batteries for me. I’ve had to scrape enough gunk out of a lot of things after they leaked.

Back