Inexpensive flashlight to keep around the house or in car?

I want to avoid rechargeable batteries. I have one light with it, but I didn't use it much and the batteries went bad.

Am I reading this right? Non rechargeable lithium batteries is what I should be using if I don't want rechargeable?

I want to use AA or AAA because they're easy to find. What should I look for if I want leak free batteries that can be stored for years?

Am I reading this right? Non rechargeable lithium batteries is what I should be using if I don't want rechargeable?

I want to use AA or AAA because they're easy to find. What should I look for if I want leak free batteries that can be stored for years?

Yup, if you just want AA or AAA and you don’t want to recharge them, go with Lithium.

The 2 and 3 pack of Duracell lights at Costco have proven durable and reliable for me, I let the little ones use them.
I prefer to spend a touch more in a Surefire, Nitecore, Sunwayman, streamlight, or olight- to name a few.
All have proven reliable and durable, especially the Surefire, Nitecore, and streamlight.
In the end they cost me less money by not breaking.

Reactions: MVF
I want to avoid rechargeable batteries. I have one light with it, but I didn't use it much and the batteries went bad.

Yup, if you just want AA or AAA and you don’t want to recharge them, go with Lithium.
Yes.

I’ve been using a streamlight stylus pro every workday (literally used many times a day at work) for about half a year and have nothing but good things to say about them. I keep one handy at home and in the vehicle as well. Takes 2 AAA batteries.

I like the output and how pocketable it is. Battery life isn’t bad either in my experience.

I also have been very satisfied with both the Streamlight Stylus Pro and Olight E3 using Eneloop batteries.

Maglite Mini AA LED is like $22

I love the AAA led minimag, it was a great carry light till I ended up getting the AAA solitaire late last year because it carries better in my pocket.
Now the minimag goes in my belt pouch at work.

The short: MiniMag AA Pro+ with Eneloop Pro AA's or Energizer Ultimate Lithium and your gonna be satisfied.

The Long: Full Disclosure: I own over 100 flashlights of all price ranges and build materials, been a BLF & CPF member for many years. I think I own every light already mentioned by others lol.
For the House & Car I suggest the MagLite AA or AAA flavor. In my opinion, they fit your descriptions the best. I only use Eneloop Pro AA & AAA rechargeable (made by Panasonic) or Lithium cells. Energizer makes a great Lithium AAA or AA battery "Energizer Ultimate Lithium". It won't leak out on you. They cost a bit more, but WELL worth it.
FWIW: I have had some Eneloop batteries stored in lights for 5 years and they work just fine. Keep in mind, for a light that is going to be stored and not heavily used, If it has a switch or button activation, that button (if electrical) will have parasitic drain. So, that is why I typically recommend a twist light or one that you can physically "lock out". This helps insure when you pick it up, the cells are still good.

Also, some folks mentioned some great ideas already. Those Costco Duracell lights require 4 AAA cells. They are ripe for having leaking issues unless you use the batteries I mention above. Don't forget that what you keep in the car is gonna get HOT in the summer. That seems to be one of the reasons why many peoples car flashlights with Alkaline batteries have issues.

I own a bunch of headlamps and only two handhelds. One is a LED modified Omer Moonlight for spearfishing that does not belong to this discussion. The other one is a Thorfire VG15. I am sooooo pleased with it. It just plain works. It uses 18650 batteries and I always keep a spare with me. My 5 year old daugther uses it arround the house and arround the van. 4 modes + blinking. I always keep a decent spare battery with it. Lasts forever.

Mikel

I'm looking for the Mora and Opinel equivalents in the flashlight world.

Sorry I'm late man but Harbor freight has a perfect LED light that takes aaa, and costs about a dollar with a coupon. Not the best light for sure but you won't need to worry about it at all. I have one in tackle boxes and extra backpacks.

Another vote for Streamlight's 1L-1AA Protac lights. Not saying there isn't a better brand or a cheaper light out there but my experience with Streamlight products, especially the Protac and Siege line, has been fantastic. My daily carry had been the 1L-1AA since its creation and before that it was the standard 1AA model. I have AA Siege lanterns for both my kids and D Siege lanterns for my wife and I. Every member of the family also has their own 1L-1AA. Watch ebay and you can get them brand new for about $30.

On the more cheap side of things I used to pick up 6 packs of LED lights from Basspro for $10. They used to be in the bins in the middle of the aisles as you walk around the store.

https://i.ibb.co/KVvHmD9/B22-D150-F-86-E0-4101-A470-59-CDAD3-F2788.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/YLJwXPs/A93-CC5-E0-90-AF-486-E-8-A6-A-B22-AD65087-C2.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/9W1Kbdn/716-DFA43-F4-B9-48-FB-892-A-5-F2-A05-AE7-AA5.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/c2jG7mV/6-A615644-9-D9-C-4837-A10-E-F9166376685-B.jpg
RDtdNYw
3cj6pP1
ZcDCNSh
dkRdzhx
I personally use Olights. They are indestructible, there's a model as small as a 9mm round that's 120 lumen (and rechargeable) all the way up to 20,000 lumen search lights that last for 60 hours straight. But anyways all my edc olights are 1000 lumen, pocket clip, strobe mode with a double press of the button, lock mode by holding down on the button (so it doesn't turn on in your pants etc). And has 5-6 different intervals from 5 lumen moonlight mode, 20, 120, 200, 600,1000. And they all can come with a super convenient magnetic charger that you just drop your light on it and it's fully charged in 20 minutes. I have several extras that haven't been opened if you'd like one. I have a copper S1r Baton 2, a titanium s1 Baton mini, and an aluminum anodized s1r Baton 2 all. The s1r Baton 2 models come with a RCR123A high drain rechargeable battery, and extra battery holder, an adjustable lanyard to attach it to your wrist, a dual sided pocket clip that's removable, am embroidered felt bag, and a usb recharging cable that is magnetic and charges 90% of ALL of their various models of edc lights, weapon mounted lights etc.

If you want any info or want to buy one just shoot me an email at Phlooke@gmail.com or reply on here

For a real mora or Opinel equivalent, I'd say the time tested Maglight is it. I've had AA mini mags for many years that just kept on going, inspire of being battered and worn. When Mag finally joined the LED age, it became a great light. I have an LED AA minimal that's been great for 10 years, and lots of light output. Something like 270 lumens. It's my night dog walking light, as well as hiking and general being out after dark light.
They're my choice, but that's because I love MADE IN USA and hate modes on flashlights.
On and off is all I need.
Oh and at Walmart you can even get an LED minimag for around $22 in a combo pack with an American made Gerber US1 lockback.
I've found them to be a great knife for the money and the LED Maglites are obviously great so it's a win win.

Olite i3E EOS. 10 bucks. Single AAA. Always have one in my pocket, one in my desk, and one in my bedroom.

OLite.jpg

I second this. I only use Energizer lithium in mine. I have the copper version (wish I didn't, don't like the smell) and have had since February. I use it at home at night as I don't have good night vision but don't want to wake people up turning lights on throughout the house.

I have a Nitecore EC20. It is pretty powerful and has a switch to adjust the brightness level.

Back