Inexpensive Flipper

Don't forget about the Buck Vantage series! The Kershaw Zing is an excellent option as well... :thumbup:

I would second getting a Buck Vantage. Three model choices ($25, $40, and $55) with two size choices. I also have a Kershaw Leek, which is a nice flipper, but it is assisted. I usually carry the Buck Vantage over it.

I do own and like Kershaw Zing Tanto.
Zing is nice flipper and within your budget.

Somebody mentioned the Enlan EL-01; apparently the steel is decent, but I wonder about the hardness. Any clues? Given the recs, I'll have to take a long look at the Skyline & Ram. Keep the suggestions coming!

I would second getting a Buck Vantage. Three model choices ($25, $40, and $55) with two size choices. I also have a Kershaw Leek, which is a nice flipper, but it is assisted. I usually carry the Buck Vantage over it.

I've never seen a Buck Vantage in real life but they look pretty fat compared to the Leek, are they?

kershaw chill. Very thin, light, great flipper, just the right size for me. RJ Martin design. I also have the Volt II, also cheap, assisted flipper.

The CRKT Summa is a nice flipper. Light, very fast, and less than $50. The Enlan is kind of heavy at over five ounces so not that pocket friendly.

I have both the tuition and 2 skylines. With the skyline you add a wrist flip. The tuition is very fun to flip out. Both are well made. Better steel on the skyline swedish vs chinese. I happen to need to carry a sheepsfoot blade in my LFP to cut horses free from stupid stuff the get stuck on in around etc. I rotate the tutition, a blur rescue, and corall creek in that role. Ive seen tutions on sale lately around $20.

My advice is , stick to Kershaw when it comes to flippers. American made ( most of them ) low priced considering materials and quality... Cannot be beat.
Groove , RAM , Skyline , Zing , OD1 just to name a few. I've owned them all and have to say the RAM and OD1 were most impressive mechanic wise , the Groove is an impressive medium/big knife with a good recurve. Skyline is just impossible to beat for it's price. Nobody makes a better knife in the price range of the Skyline - My three cents.
Oh ! and you have the best knife warranty in the industry, hands down.
Tostig

I've never seen a Buck Vantage in real life but they look pretty fat compared to the Leek, are they?

The Leek is thinner when you do not count the pocket clip, so in your pocket it is very thin. But if you compare them counting the clips, then the Vantage Large is only very slightly thicker, there isn't really a difference in hand, other than that the Vantage scales are contoured and the Leek's are flat. I think the Leek is a great pocket knife, but the Vantage's low-ride clip and blade size/shape is just too good for me. They are also about the same weight, so you get more blade with the Large also. I prefer the comfort of the Vantage pro handle to my standard SS framelock Leek.

To the OP, if you are looking at Kershaws (which I really like also), then you should be aware that there is a chance your bead-blasted Kershaw blade may slightly be prone to rusting, based on the steel you choose. My dad has a Kershaw Blur with bead-blasted 440c and it likes to rust fairly often if you don't religiously apply oil every day. I have a Leek with bead-blasted 13c26 sandvik and it develops small spots of rust occasionally but it comes off easily enough. It shouldn't harm the overall function, but I didn't find out about this small problem with bead-blast blades until after I bought them. I can't speak for Kershaw's bead-blasted 14c28 sandvik like on the Skyline, but you can search the forum to see if there are any previous posts on it.

Last edited:
Kershaw Skyline defiantly beats the M-16 in my book. The Skyline is a great inexpensive, but very competent edc blade.

The Junkyard Dog II can be had for around $50. It's an awesome flipper if you want something with a little more length.

I went and checked out a vantage pro today, it was really nice. Definitely a bit bigger but the low rider clip makes it seem smaller in the pocket.

Kershaw Skyline or Zing would be best IMO. But if you want something really fast but has a bit of a learning curve check out the Kershaw OD-1.

+1 Kershaw Skyline, mine's damascus.
shopparts020.jpg

Made in USA.

FleaBay prices could be better than KershawGuy.....more so, they aint blem. I picked up Kershaw Tanto Blur BNIB at $30-32 at times.

Back