Inkosi or Zaan? (From Long Time Users)

Bear4142

Gold Member
I know this has been asked several times before but it is always from someone who typically has never had a CRK or either of these knives.
I have owned and used 15+ 21s and had at least 5 each of the Zaans and large Inkosi's in every flavor so I know all the differences, how they feel and function, etc.
My problem is that I've always had them during my huge collection days so the were rarely carried or used or sold off to fund another knife.
I've been rotating a small 3 knife collection the last year and ready to get and actually use a Inkosi or Zaan (DP or Tanto) and I'm looking for the folks on here who I know own at least two or all three and have years of carry and use for comparisons.
So essentially I'm looking for the long term users opions of which one you prefer the most between large Inkosi DP, DP Zaan and Tanto Zaan.
Thanks BFers!

I carry both, the Inkosi/25 has the slight advantage(the 25 more so than the Inkosi) because of the solid lock up sound (thawk).
I carry a tanto at times, but not near as much as a drop point. I do like the harpoon shape of the Umnumzaan and that top swedge has come in useful for scraping and not having to use the edge. I like the milling in the Umnumzaan slabs, it makes for a good grip.
I know it really doesn't help, but that's one tough choice to make between the two. I think there is more Inkosi love than Umnumzaan love. The way I choose which one to carry is to feel which one is sharper and pick that one.

I’ve owned and carried both. For me the Zaan is the one that has stuck around. Ive owned old pivot and new pivot versions (I prefer the new pivot). I’ve used and carried one on and off for 5 years. I prefer the ergonomics as it fits my hand damn near perfect. I like the hollow ground blade as it leaves you with a thinner edge and more sharpening life. I also like how it has the fewest parts of all the CRK folders. I really like how the thumb studs also function as the blade stops in both the open and closed positions. Using a single part for 3 functions is clever simplicity at its finest. The ceramic ball interface...i could go on and on. My favorite folding knife design ever.

I own a large KA inkosi and a tanto Zaan

i think the inkosi may be more versatile and less threatening for people around

I carry the zaan more however
I think I will replace my KA inkosi by a natural micarta inlay inkosi in the future and rotate both

@Bear4142 I know your looking for members that have owned both for years but if I may. I'd like to give a little side perspective from someone that has a huge collection that has recently purchased both and is now selling off there collection because of the purchase of both these knives. I carry them flip floppimg them each day and I really love them both to the point were if I had to pick just one like I could only have just the one it would be the umnumzaan. It just feels better in my hand and more solid. Is it well no there both solid knives. And you can't go wrong with either. My inkosi has the nice red linen micarta inserts and looks great. Both are the same size. Both as super smooth. I can tell you I need to get the collection way down and add 3-6 more CRK's to the collection. Just the feel of craftsmanship in your hand. You siad you are rotating a 3 knife collection right now. Can I ask what are they? And if you feel I stepped out of line please say so I will edit my post with REDACTED.

Cheers brother

I have had tanto and DP Inkosi but only DP Zaan. I currently only own Inkosi’s and 21’s. I had my Zaan for several years. It got used and carried but no where near as much as my others. I let it go a little while back and haven’t felt the urge to replace it yet. Key word yet. I know you asked about a tanto Zaan. Out of the two I’ve only owned a tanto in the Inkosi and I do carry it. I don’t mind a tanto at all but I’d go drop point choosing between the two. Just for me the drop point Inkosi is my choice without a doubt

@Bear4142 I know your looking for members that have owned both for years but if I may. I'd like to give a little side perspective from someone that has a huge collection that has recently purchased both and is now selling off there collection because of the purchase of both these knives. I carry them flip floppimg them each day and I really love them both to the point were if I had to pick just one like I could only have just the one it would be the umnumzaan. It just feels better in my hand and more solid. Is it well no there both solid knives. And you can't go wrong with either. My inkosi has the nice red linen micarta inserts and looks great. Both are the same size. Both as super smooth. I can tell you I need to get the collection way down and add 3-6 more CRK's to the collection. Just the feel of craftsmanship in your hand. You siad you are rotating a 3 knife collection right now. Can I ask what are they? And if you feel I stepped out of line please say so I will edit my post with REDACTED.

Cheers brother
I EDC rotate a S35VN PM2, Socom Elite and 3.5" xm18 spanto. I also have a bugout for hiking and gym shorts buts its not in my daily rotation.

I have a KA CF Inkosi, and DP & Tanto ‘Zaans.

There is something intangible about the Tanto Umnumzaan that makes it my most used and carried CRK, even though it’s probably slightly less practical than the other two—and may not be the ‘best’ of the three. <<IMO drop points are better at food prep and game dressing, but that’s not part of my usual EDC ritual. :)>>

I prefer the deployment mechanics of the ‘Zaan and I love the ‘thug’ when it locks open. In hand, the Inkosi feels more refined and precise. Maybe it even ‘feels’ like the better knife.

Perhaps the Tanto Umnumzaan just speaks louder to my suppressed mall-ninja ego, because it’s always out while other knives come & go from the safe every few days.

This thread needs pics
mfx95V0.jpg

Once I get me lefty large 21 insingo, Mnandi and righty large 21 tanto. The umnumzaan lefty tanto in on the list. Something about that umnumzaan and the tanto that says work hard play hard.

I carried a lot of different CRK’s, some for very long stretches, years even. None have held the place as the knife that I carry and use daily longer than a Tanto Zaan, I carried that knife for four years. though I retired it and currently have been carrying a CF large Inkosi for months it isn’t because the Zaan isn’t awesome, I just wanted to use more of my knives.
if I had to pick between the two it’d be an exceptionally hard choice for me, so much so that I think it’s a personal answer and not a practical one. Both are overbuilt minimalistic Knives that are classy and have great ergonomics.
All that said, I guess I’d take the Umnumzaan if I had to choose, but I’m not getting rid of my Inkosi.

I find myself really wanting a Zaan lately. My biggest concern is the pocket clip creating a hot spot during use.

While I think the inkosi is a fine knife every time I would choke up on the handle the middle finger groove wood cut into my middle finger pretty good. Thoroughly annoying me.

I find myself really wanting a Zaan lately. My biggest concern is the pocket clip creating a hot spot during use.

While I think the inkosi is a fine knife every time I would choke up on the handle the middle finger groove wood cut into my middle finger pretty good. Thoroughly annoying me.

the pocket clip can create a hot spot in certain grips. Nothing terrible though. If I try hard enough I can find a hot spot on any folding knife handle.

Edit: i need to re-phrase my above statement about the clip being a hot spot. It isn’t that it’s a hot spot but it can be felt if you are being conscious of it. Doesn’t cause any pain or discomfort to me at least. In fact my Spyderco Manix 2 is my second favorite folder and many people compliment its ergonomics. When I compare the Zaan to the Manix I actually think the Zaan feels better. BellaBlades BellaBlades

Last edited:
I now have all three the inkosi, umnumzaan and large 21. The umnumzaan is still top dog. But I'm finding the large 21 insingo is a beast for wiring. Wonder it CRK with ever do a umnumzaan insingo. I'd be all over that.

Back