Interesting video on knife laws in NYC...ask a cop and go to jail!

Haha!
I wasn't directing my response at you and your wife personally by the way! Sorry if it seemed like that. Great response though and I have absolutely no problems with anything that you said, and am very glad you have the mentality that you do, we seem to share the same mindset about protecting ourselves and our families!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's all good :)
I come across a little gruff online but I'm not...as long as you kids stay off my lawn :p

Training and knowledge is esssential.
I teach my kids that situational awareness is the best weapon you can have.
"Don't do STUPID things in STUPID places with STUPID people."

;)

Just caught up on this thread. You guys make very good points. Situational awareness and common sense goes a long way. I remember my first martial arts lesson about 20 years ago. " If you walk into a bar and feel like everyone is sizing you up, turn around and walk out". The point was that most fights could be avoided, if you are aware of your surroundings.

As far as weapons, I worked in a violent psych ward for a while (not too far from the wonderful Elmhurst) and one question we asked, is if the patient had access to guns. Not surprisingly, most of them either had their own or had someone to get one from. A large majority of these patients had an extensive criminal history or were gang members. Its kind of crazy to think what a law abiding NYer has to do, to get a limited permit. The amount of paperwork, money, interview and a 6 month wait, not including what you have to do to renew it. Since almost anything around here is considered a weapon, even carrying a knife for utility purposes is frowned upon.

I agree, that its mostly ignorant politicians (is that redundant?) and impressionable people that want it like that and not the average police officer. However, new officers- especially those in the city, tend to by the book and are looking to get their first collar can be more aggressively looking for that clip or bulge. A lot of the hate towards NY, is really the fault of our elected officials who are only looking out for themselves. NY is a beautiful state, I am one of those that love to get upstate to hike, camp and just to relax.

Just caught up on this thread. You guys make very good points. Situational awareness and common sense goes a long way. I remember my first martial arts lesson about 20 years ago. " If you walk into a bar and feel like everyone is sizing you up, turn around and walk out". The point was that most fights could be avoided, if you are aware of your surroundings.

As far as weapons, I worked in a violent psych ward for a while (not too far from the wonderful Elmhurst) and one question we asked, is if the patient had access to guns. Not surprisingly, most of them either had their own or had someone to get one from. A large majority of these patients had an extensive criminal history or were gang members. Its kind of crazy to think what a law abiding NYer has to do, to get a limited permit. The amount of paperwork, money, interview and a 6 month wait, not including what you have to do to renew it. Since almost anything around here is considered a weapon, even carrying a knife for utility purposes is frowned upon.

I agree, that its mostly ignorant politicians (is that redundant?) and impressionable people that want it like that and not the average police officer. However, new officers- especially those in the city, tend to by the book and are looking to get their first collar can be more aggressively looking for that clip or bulge. A lot of the hate towards NY, is really the fault of our elected officials who are only looking out for themselves. NY is a beautiful state, I am one of those that love to get upstate to hike, camp and just to relax.

Do not be misled.
Those politicians aren't ignorant.
They know exactly what they are doing.

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson

NYSRPA vs NYC was granted Cert.
This is a very good thing.
NYC weapons laws are clearly unconstitutional.
SCOTUS like to take baby steps, and this will be the first step towards honest, law abiding NYCers gaining some rights back.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/01/charges-dismissed-in-new-york-gun-case/#axzz5dscf3Pby

NY Cops try to use a VALID Colorado CCW permit as probable cause to search a vehicle, then proceeded to fabricate evidence, the DA lies in court, and asked judge to seal the case from the public.

Remember this is a Colorado CCW holder, who is an upstanding citizen with a clean record.

The laws there are NOT in place to make you safe, they are in place to disarm to good people and turn you into instant felons.

Get out of NY while you can.

I can’t like that but thanks for posting the link. The application of the law in the hands of ambitious DAs and police officers is IMHO a greater danger than bad laws themselves.

I have a friend who spent 6 years as an LEO in LA and Colorado. He spent the next 15 years writing the crime beat column and obits for the Chicago Tribune. Very bright guy.

I once asked why he quit being a cop. He said, “I was becoming one of them. Paranoia is the norm that produces a mentality of us against them.” Meaning the public.

Last edited:
I can’t like that but thanks for posting the link. The application of the law in the hands of ambitious DAs and police officers is IMHO a greater danger than bad laws themselves.

I have a friend who spent 6 years as an LEO in LA and Colorado. He spent the next 15 years writing crime beat and bits for the Chicago Tribune. Very bright guy.

I once asked why he quit being a cop. He said, “I was becoming one of them. Paranoia is the norm along with a mentality of us against them.” Meaning the public.

My two best friends are active local LEO.
Both served in the military.
They would lay down their lives to prevent abuses of freedom.
They fully support very citizens right to bear arms, and take personal offense at LEO abuses of power.
We support our LEO, and they support us.
No need for paranoia.
Law abiding citizens deserve more from LEOs.

Likewise, I've met some great guys on the force here. It doesn't ameliorate the story you posted or my friend's comments. It was his personal experience.

Likewise, I've met some great guys on the force here. It doesn't ameliorate the story you posted or my friend's comments. It was his personal experience.

I understand completely.
I've seen both sides of the coin.
It seems that in larger population areas, the disconnect is wider between LE and citizens than smaller population areas.
Venezuela is right now seeing this as they are experiencing unrest.
Local small town LEOs siding with citizens, while big city Police are siding with a government forces.

Never ask a cop any kind of legal question. They won't know the actual law and are only too happy to make crap up. Ask an attorney. Also never wear a knife that is visibly clipped to your pocket. That will attract a New York cop like you wouldn't believe.

Never ask a cop any kind of legal question. They won't know the actual law and are only too happy to make crap up. Ask an attorney. Also never wear a knife that is visibly clipped to your pocket. That will attract a New York cop like you wouldn't believe.

I couldn't live like that.

Welcome to the future......

Nope.
Lol.
I live in a free state.
Our LEOs understand and will defend our rights, and our governor is a strong 2A supporter.
We don't elect people that think our rights are negotiable.
;)

They understand law abiding adults are responsible enough to carry knives..and guns, and we still teach history to our kids.
:p

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/01/charges-dismissed-in-new-york-gun-case/#axzz5dscf3Pby

NY Cops try to use a VALID Colorado CCW permit as probable cause to search a vehicle, then proceeded to fabricate evidence, the DA lies in court, and asked judge to seal the case from the public.

Remember this is a Colorado CCW holder, who is an upstanding citizen with a clean record.

The laws there are NOT in place to make you safe, they are in place to disarm to good people and turn you into instant felons.

Get out of NY while you can.

Don't have time to read the article atm, however whether he is an upstanding citizen with a clean record with a CCW for COLORADO, that DOES NOT allow him to be in possession of a firearm/s in NYS... Its really that simple... not sure what your upset about? He disregarded the law and got arrested for it.

New York is a great place to live... I love it! You should visit! ;)

If somebody has a knife clipped to their pocket it should indeed attract the attention of a New York Police Officer... Most knives are illegal in NY and any that are actually legal are supposed to be completely concealed on your person, meaning NO CLIP showing.

Not the fault of the police, they are merely doing their jobs well! If you don't want to abide by the law and risk getting summonsed or arrest don't whine about it after you get caught...

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes bud!

Don't have time to read the article atm, however whether he is an upstanding citizen with a clean record with a CCW for COLORADO, that DOES NOT allow him to be in possession of a firearm/s in NYS... Its really that simple... not sure what your upset about? He disregarded the law and got arrested for it.

New York is a great place to live... I love it! You should visit! ;)

NYCPD claimed a CCW was PC, and illegally searched.

Pro tip:
Having a CCW is NOT probable cause for a search. Even in NYC.

The judge agreed, the case was tossed out based on an illegal search.

You should read more.

Constitutional rights don't stop at the NY City limits, and excercising them is not grounds for corrupt LEO to violate them.

If somebody has a knife clipped to their pocket it should indeed attract the attention of a New York Police Officer... Most knives are illegal in NY and any that are actually legal are supposed to be completely concealed on your person, meaning NO CLIP showing.

Not the fault of the police, they are merely doing their jobs well! If you don't want to abide by the law and risk getting summonsed or arrest don't whine about it after you get caught...

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes bud!

Excercising your legal right are not grounds for an illegal search.

Violating the rights of law abiding citizens isn't LEOs job.

There are plenty of real crimes being committed that police resources could be better focused on.

But then again, maybe law abiding NYC residents aren't responsible enough to be trusted with pocket knives.

"Of all the tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under the omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber barons cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

-C.S. Lewis

Last edited:
What assine laws, who cares if you can flick a knife open, you can double hand open a knife just as fast without gravity, even if its slower, you are still opening a knife. What about fixed blades? Those are already opened, are they illegal there? I bet cops can carry any knife they want.

The reason these laws pass is because of an overly apathetic population. Its the patriots duty to enforce the constitution, and rights are rights egardless if the state wants to take those rights or not.

Patriots in all states must defend the weak and challenge the government on their unconstitutional laws.

This is directed to all states, and all types of dumb laws. Don't be apathetic, don't accept it as " that's the way it is", because that attitude is how we got here in the first place.

Its not about..oh the law needs to change, its about patriots demanding the law be changed to coincide with the constitution and bill of rights. Demand and protect your freedom and rights.

Back