Introducing the Fletcher Knives HVT (Horned Viper Thrower)

Fletcher Knives

STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO
I've asked my father several times if there is any kind of knife he would want me to make for him. He's not as much of a "custom knife guy" He's plenty outdoorsy and likes all the same shooting and fishing and everything I do, he just doesn't care about the big ticket knife scene. He's just fine with whatever cheap, functional knife he has with him. It really drives me nuts. Anyways, while he does care about my new career and does like to see me making strides and getting more recognition for my skill, he just doesn't need a "fancy knife", so he's never taken me up on it. The last time I aksed him, he said, "well... I liked that throwing knife I had when i was younger. Sure was fun chuckin' that thing around at logs and trees. I guess if you ever got around to it, I wouldn't mind a throwing knife." So that was that. Now he's getting a couple of throwing knives for Xmas. They're leaving to come here tomorrow from Memphis so I know he won't see this so i can go ahead and post it.

I wanted to do something special for these throwers. I've had a ton of throwing knives and have a pretty good understanding of them. I wanted something I hadn't seen before and something that could really take a beating. One thing I thought of right off the bat was NO CUTTING EDGES. I hate it when throwers are sharp. I don't see a need for it and it just makes them a little more dangerous. Here is what I came up with.

Specs:
OAL: 10"
Handle Length: 4.875"
Steel: 1/8" thick 1075 spring hardened to 50rc (Ghost Scale)
Handle Material: Layered bright yellow and black G10
Pins: Top and bottom are black fiberglass, middle is stainless, brass, and copper mosaic

I deliberately DID NOT take pictures of a few parts of this process, like etching the Ghost Scale, as they are trade secrets, but I documented just about every other part of making them. Here ya go. Enjoy the pictures.

Here are the concept drawings.

Throwers1.jpg

Throwers2.jpg

Now to get grinding.
I've never tried doing a double edge dagger grind like this. I think it turned out OK for my first time. Not perfect, but still just fine.

Throwers3.jpg

Throwers4.jpg

Throwers5.jpg

Throwers6.jpg

I decided in my head before I started that it would be easier to grind the bevels before I made the horns so I ground the horns in afterward. I think I was correct. I doubt it would have been very easy to get those grind right with a wavy edge on the steel.

Throwers7.jpg

Throwers8.jpg

Throwers9.jpg

I used the marker to give myself a rough idea of where i wanted the horns. I used the 4" wheel and the 1" wheel to get it just right.

ThrowersA1.jpg

ThrowersA2.jpg

ThrowersA3.jpg

ThrowersA4.jpg

ThrowersA5.jpg

ThrowersA6.jpg

ThrowersA7.jpg

ThrowersA8.jpg

I didn't take pictures of the queching or tempering because it just didn't work out. I also didn't take picture of me doing the Ghost Scale etch. That's because it's secret. shhh.

ThrowersA9.jpg

ThrowersB1.jpg

ThrowersB2.jpg

ThrowersB3.jpg

ThrowersB4.jpg

ThrowersB5.jpg

ThrowersB6.jpg

Call me anal, but I like to get the scales nice and cleaned up before I start drilling and shaping.

ThrowersB7.jpg

ThrowersB8.jpg

ThrowersB9.jpg

ThrowersC1.jpg

ThrowersC2.jpg

ThrowersC3.jpg

ThrowersC4.jpg

ThrowersC5.jpg

ThrowersC6.jpg

ThrowersC7.jpg

ThrowersC8.jpg

ThrowersC9.jpg

ThrowersD1.jpg

ThrowersD2.jpg

ThrowersD3.jpg

Continued....

Last edited:
I decided to bring the scales in a little from the edges of the handle so that if the handle smacked the target or the ground or a rock, it had a chance of just impacting the tang and not hurting the scales. Unfortunately, shaping those scales by eye like this took forever.

ThrowersD4.jpg

ThrowersD5.jpg

ThrowersD6.jpg

ThrowersD7.jpg

ThrowersD8.jpg

ThrowersD9.jpg

ThrowersE1.jpg

ThrowersE2.jpg

ThrowersE3.jpg

ThrowersE4.jpg

ThrowersE5.jpg

ThrowersE6.jpg

ThrowersE7.jpg

ThrowersE8.jpg

ThrowersE9.jpg

ThrowersF1.jpg

ThrowersF2.jpg

ThrowersF3.jpg

ThrowersF4.jpg

ThrowersF5.jpg

ThrowersF6.jpg

ThrowersF7.jpg

ThrowersF8.jpg

My least favorite part of making any knife, the hand sanding begins.

ThrowersF9.jpg

ThrowersG1.jpg

ThrowersG2.jpg

ThrowersG3.jpg

ThrowersG4.jpg

ThrowersG5.jpg

ThrowersG6.jpg

ThrowersG7.jpg

ThrowersG8.jpg

Continued...

All nice and cleaned up. Ready for some glamour shots.
I also made him a little picture book of the entire process, which I'll give him first. Then when he gets to the "Merry Xmas Dad" picture, I'll pull the package out from behind the tree. I'm hoping it will be a nice surprise. I know that he has no idea that he's getting these. He has forgotten all about our conversation.

ThrowersG9.jpg

ThrowersH1.jpg

ThrowersH2.jpg

ThrowersH3.jpg

ThrowersH4.jpg

ThrowersH5.jpg

ThrowersH6.jpg

ThrowersH7.jpg

ThrowersH8.jpg

I made a tes blade to dial in where I wanted the balance point and found this to be the perfect spot. It gives it a pretty controllable rotation.

ThrowersH9.jpg

ThrowersI1.jpg

ThrowersI2.jpg

ThrowersI3.jpg

This is what I would have said if I was raise in the Bronx:
"You have mad skills, yo"

That's amazing. So much effort into a pair of throwing knives.

A. You are a mad man when it comes to pictures. That was awesome. As much as I love knives I never knew how many processes went in to making the things. I am shocked over the pictures alone, I think I would be even more so if I saw it all happen.

B. Bad Ass gift for the pops. He should definitely like that and it should bring back some youthful memories.

C. Have a Merry Christmas and keep up the great work.

Whitty

Dylan, those are amazing! The WIP pics are priceless, too. It's time for me to give it a shot with the new KMG, and your pics are filling in a few blanks for me! I need to get a heat-treat oven...

Are those going to make it to production?

My 5 year old daughter saw your pictures and said, "I like the handles, they look like the sun!" :)

[youtube]xuIYhJZsWRw[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
I want one! Add them to the lineup please.

Dylan, those are amazing! The WIP pics are priceless, too. It's time for me to give it a shot with the new KMG, and your pics are filling in a few blanks for me! I need to get a heat-treat oven...

Are those going to make it to production?

My 5 year old daughter saw your pictures and said, "I like the handles, they look like the sun!" :)

I might do a few special runs of these. They were surprisingly hard to make. I thought they would be a lot easier since I would be skipping a bunch of the normal process of knifemaking like finish grinding, but they ended up taking just as long or longer to make than a standard Delta Foxtrot. lol

Damn those are going to make a nice present! Thanks a ton for all the pics too. It's cool to see the process.

ThrowersI2.jpg

Man, this picture says it all . . . If this was me, I would not know what to say.
Dylside, thanks for taking the time to show how much work & how many steps go into knife making. BACUSTOMKNIVES did the same thing about 3 months ago & both of these are the first time I had any inkling of the amount of labor involved. Next time you are up in our neck of the woods, let me know & the first round of cheese coneys & 4-ways are on me. Thanks for your time, absolutely great shots.
Merry Christmas from the Buckeye state & Lebanon area,
Be safe.

I got to see the knives when the clamps were on, they did not have a very good balance
HA HA.The knives looked impressive in person with the yellow handles. Great work and have a happy holidays.
Thanks,
Michael

ThrowersI2.jpg

Man, this picture says it all . . . If this was me, I would not know what to say.
Dylside, thanks for taking the time to show how much work & how many steps go into knife making. BACUSTOMKNIVES did the same thing about 3 months ago & both of these are the first time I had any inkling of the amount of labor involved. Next time you are up in our neck of the woods, let me know & the first round of cheese coneys & 4-ways are on me. Thanks for your time, absolutely great shots.
Merry Christmas from the Buckeye state & Lebanon area,
Be safe.

You got it! I could use some coneys RIGHT NOW!

Back