Ironwood Obsession

Not my best pics, but Ironwood seems to show up best in sunlight. It's a challenge balancing between shadow, glare, and the stunning nature of ironwood when light hits it just right. Anyway, I promised to post my Ironwood collection - where I started with this whole obsession - so here we go.

The Fiddlebacks:

The Surls:

And Three from Another Mother:

All hail The King !

Awesome I.W. collection there, and I love how you've captured the inner beauty of the wood in your photos, as well as the composition.

Nicely done Sir :thumbup:

Man oh man Tony. That is a VERY nice collection! The hue on the Ironwood KPH is stellar.

BTW, is that a Buscrafter or BC SR?
Whichever it is, there's a tiny little face in that burl who looks very sad. :p

Man oh man Tony. That is a VERY nice collection! The hue on the Ironwood KPH is stellar.

BTW, is that a Buscrafter or BC SR?
Whichever it is, there's a tiny little face in that burl who looks very sad. :p

Thank you sir! I had no idea just how serious this little problem I have has become until I started gathering them all together last night, and in trying to pose them with just the right sunlight this morning. I think I might need an intervention.
I agree that the KPH is pretty spectacular. Just arrived this Friday.
The blade you are asking about is a Bushcrafter, and the very first Fiddleback I ever claimed on a Friday sale. I've never noticed the sad face before! Probably a sign that I need more Ironwood...hahahaha!
The Bushfinger on the right is a recent acquisition from Bob.
And the Lady - my real prize - I owe a huge thanks to Peter for that one.

Stunning...

Is the approach required to get closer to these than the photographs.

Thanks for doing sharing mi amigo.

A certain one of those has your name on it, Peter.

Be still my heart.....you are truly a gentleman my friend......at least I got to briefly see her in nursery at the Forge before she flew home to you. Looks like she is being well cared for, although I am a bit concerned about her exposure to second hand cigar smoke ;)

Very, very nice, Tony!

Your pictures capture some of the wood's beauty very well, although of course it is even better in person-- and can present very differently depending on the lighting.

One thing that cannot be understood through pictures alone is how fantastic the material feels in hand; the density of the wood, expertly finished by the maker(s), renders the handles ... indescribably good. :)

My own ironwood, a Fiddleback Bear Cub that's blonder than yours but which really does it for me:

IMG_4461.jpg~original

A couple of Robert's (Fiddleback Outpost's) woo-woo Light-Up pictures that sealed the deal:

Fiddleback_Forge_Bear_Cub_-_Desert_Ironwood_-_6_1024x1024.png~original

Fiddleback_Forge_Bear_Cub_-_Desert_Ironwood_-_2_1024x1024.png~original

I love how the wood warms when carried, whether in my pocket or in my hand:

IMG_4679.jpg~original

I just plain love this knife!

IMG_4772.jpg~original

:)

~ P.

Awesome!! That's a heck of an IW collectoin Tony. Which is your favorite? :D

Stunning knives and photos Tony! I love how different pieces have such different depth and color.

That is a stellar ironwood family you have there Tony. My favorite is the ASP.

I went through a big ironwood phase about eight or nine years ago when I got into knives more seriously. Most of them are gone now. I do have one ironwood Fiddleback, my custom shop Duke. It has served me well so far.

Thanks for starting this thread Tony. Even though i prefer burlap and synthetics these days, it is always fun to look at gorgeous wood.

Phil

Last edited:
Ironwood is, and has been for awhile, my favorite wood for handle material. I would be very happy with even one of those beauties but to have that set... :eek:

NICE!!

Very nice Tony. I typically do not go for wood handled knives... But when I get hungry for one it is always non burl IW, a. Blackwood, Osage and some of the oaks and maples that catch my eye.

Wow! That is quite the collection, love those handles.

Back